TV coverage

Luck on Sunday is my kind of programme.
The guests have time to speak, articulate what they mean and get their point across.
Mightily impressed by Peter Scudamore today, the Oxo to Arthur book is a must buy for me.
That they repeat in mid week is even better.

I seldom get the chance to catch it but managed to see it today. I thought Scu was brilliant. Not articulate, perhaps, but he seemed to have so much he wanted to blurt out and was so passionate about it, it was genuinely refreshing. He struck me as the kind of guy I could spend a day with over a long drinking session.

Who was the commentator on RUK today? Was he also on ITV?

I was out all day from pretty early and only just watched the replays at the JC site.

First of all Sceau Royal was called 'Show Royal'? Where the fvck did he get that pronunciation from?? The horse is about to turn seven and has been racing in this country for three fuckin years and suddenly this clown decides to change its name???? It was bad enough that some idiot like Oli Bell or Chamberlin last season insisted on pronouncing it 'Sko Royl'.

(It's 'So Rwayal', to be precise but So Royal is acceptable, I reckon.)

Then Lalor, which even the trainer pronounces 'Lay-lor' is suddenly renamed 'Law-lor'.

How do these fuckin clowns get jobs??

Then Lalor, which even the trainer pronounces 'Lay-lor' is suddenly renamed 'Law-lor'.

I just remembered Oli Bell called it 'LaLOR' (weak first syllable, strong last) right before the interview with the trainer (who said 'Lay-lor more than once). Did he not watch the interview beforehand?

He then proceeded to refer to Verdana Blue as 'he' then claimed he 'nearly' got that wrong.

I do have a bit of OCD when it comes to pronunciation. Maybe it's because I am a [retired] languages teacher and product of a classical education but I don't think it's acceptable to pander to the lowest common denominator and pronounce (especially) foreign words/names the way they think Joe-Punter-in-the-betting-shop might pronounce it. For me, it's even WORSE to guess at fancy, illogical pronunciation (as in 'Show Royal').

And let's not forget 'LA Goes To Vegas'... (a different commentator again, I believe).

TV has a duty to educate.

And with all the resources TV has, especially commercial TV, why can't they get a presenter - or even a lowly staffer - to make advance enquiries about pronunciations?

Last edited:
I always remember the extensive research the great Sir Peter O’Sullevan did to make sure he pronounced a horse’s name exactly right. A shame today’s presenters and commentators can’t be bothered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who was the commentator on RUK today? Was he also on ITV?

I was out all day from pretty early and only just watched the replays at the JC site.

First of all Sceau Royal was called 'Show Royal'? Where the fvck did he get that pronunciation from?? The horse is about to turn seven and has been racing in this country for three fuckin years and suddenly this clown decides to change its name???? It was bad enough that some idiot like Oli Bell or Chamberlin last season insisted on pronouncing it 'Sko Royl'.

(It's 'So Rwayal', to be precise but So Royal is acceptable, I reckon.)

How do these fuckin clowns get jobs??

Depending on which part of Ireland you are from, Law-lor and Lay-lor are fine as pronunciations for the surname Lalor. Law-lor being the more common around this part of the country. The Show Royal thing though - Ian Bartlett must have seen the horse run and notice the accepted pronunciation over the past years.

Depending on which part of Ireland you are from, Law-lor and Lay-lor are fine as pronunciations for the surname Lalor. Law-lor being the more common around this part of the country.

I did wonder about whether it was an Irish surname, possibly linked to the surname Lawless (my driving instructor was a neighbour by that name). But the trainer herself says 'Lay-lor'.

The Show Royal thing though - Ian Bartlett must have seen the horse run and notice the accepted pronunciation over the past years.

You'd think, wouldn't you?

I've just watched the first half-hour or so on the recording. Fvck me. Pass me the sick fuckin bucket. Talk about milking "remembrance"! For me that does a serious disservice to the fallen.

Luck on Sunday is indeed a good show and available on podcast now

I can't say that I adore Luck but it's nice that he doesn't try to dominate the conversation or try rob all the attention form his guests

Francome was a voice of my youth - his mid race thoughts would be nice to hear again

Exactly...Walsworth...the 3:00pn on Saturday will be the best the thing on telle this week by miles.

Racing Uk to become Racing TV

No surprise that Gary O’Brien will lead the Irish team

Good addition will be Kate Harrington,though disappointing to see the annoying Kevin O’Ryan is being transferred over

Back