TV coverage

Meanwhile in other news Bryony Frost wins jump jockey of the year.

As Lennon sang: Nothing is real....anymore.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

She was champion conditional …..maybe they voted for her personality? More people watching horses down a horse walk to the course in my own humble experience , shout go on/good luck Bryony, than go on Dickie, or Aiden, or Barry or...…...

She was champion conditional …..maybe they voted for her personality? More people watching horses down a horse walk to the course in my own humble experience , shout go on/good luck Bryony, than go on Dickie, or Aiden, or Barry or...…...
She appeals to the greater masses and is good for the profile and image of racing, seems like a very genuine person as well. I have to say the one thing I find more nauseating than ITV's so called cheerleaders is the begrudgery from so called racing people.

She’s hugely good for racing - and is getting where she is through graft. She’s there to ride the horses, not the humans and it shows.

I think she’s great ( and I’m not known for my liking of ladies!!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think what pisses some (particularly Irish) people off is that Frost gets more media coverage than Blackmore, despite being a vastly inferior jockey.

This is partially down to Blackmore not courting the media and letting her performances speak for themselves. So I don't have much of an issue with it.

Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk

Between Frost and Blackmore, I really don't think we're comparing apples with apples.

The very fact that Blackmore is only seen over here at the festival or for a prestigious ride means Frost gets more coverage over here. However, I reckon when Blackmore does come over she gets proportionately more coverage than Frost, which is fair enough.

Frost has been great for racing and racing on TV over here. She does seem to have a lot of personality and is an excellent interviewee.

Long may that continue.

But jockey of the year?

Actually, thinking about it...

Johnson? No. Gets too many rides wrong.
Cobden? Maybe. Vastly improved.
Hughes? Maybe but low profile and quiet.
Skelton? Maybe but is he better than the others?

Of the main jockeys, Geraghty, Skelton and de Boinville have the highest strike rates so maybe they should merit the most serious consideration. Geraghty splits his time between here and Ireland so his rides here are more select - like Blackmore - so that would rule him out for me.

Fehily could have been a shout and wouldn't have been a surprise choice given the patronising nature of a lot of these awards.

I suppose without seeing the criteria for selection, it's hard to know if the award is merited.

ref: Ms Frost.

Being a fully paid up member of the Irish begrudging, Blackmore adoring, 'racing people' community I would like to expand on my position.

1. I am all in favour of calling out positively to Ms Frost, both on the horse walk and indeed many other places, for many different reasons, including her ability as a jockey.
2. I concur she is a bright, bubbly and attractive character who seems to work very hard both on her skill as a jockey and on her public persona. Much harder than Ryan Moore and Donnacha O'Brien in the latter, for instance. Good for racing, that.
3. I don't think that she is in the top half dozen jockeys in Britain, and that is being generous. This was the vote I commented upon, and to be topical, when it comes to Frosty, I'm a NO man.

Supplemental question. There is a tendency on the forum to isolate (denigrate??) some opinions as 'Irish' in their formation. Being a non-nationalistic, equal-opportunity cynic I don't understand this. Can somebody kindly point out why this is so?

Is mise le meas,

Capall.

Last edited:

Being a fully paid up member of the Irish begrudging, Blackmore adoring, 'racing people' community I would like to expand on my position.

1. I am all in favour of calling out positively to Ms Frost, both on the horse walk and indeed many other places, for many different reasons, including her ability as a jockey.
2. I concur she is a bright, bubbly and attractive character who seems to work very hard both on her skill as a jockey and on her public persona. Much harder than Ryan Moore and Donnacha O'Brien in the latter, for instance. Good for racing, that.
3. I don't think that she is in the top half dozen jockeys in Britain, and that is being generous. This was the vote I commented upon, and to be topical, when it comes to Frosty, I'm a NO man.

Supplemental question. There is a tendency on the forum to isolate (denigrate??) some opinions as 'Irish' in their formation. Being a non-nationalistic, equal-opportunity cynic I don't understand this. Can somebody kindly point out why this is so?

Is mise le meas,

Capall.
Well I'm Irish and I think Bryony Frost is one of the best things to happen racing in a long time, but begrudgery is most certainly a very Irish trait.

Capall.

Maybe I don't read enough of the posts to confirm your assertion but I'd proffer the suggestion that, overall, the forum is pretty fair-minded towards our friends across the Irish sea.

I'd be abhorred and ashamed if any of my posts were thus taken (ie isolating/denigrating rather than fair-minded!)

What i love about Bryony is the story she told of being called before the stewards re use of the whip.
So in she walks and offered her evidence as to how she only gave the horse a few cracks, gave her mount time to respond , keeping him balanced and doing her best to encourage the horse.
Then the stewards explained to her that it was a hands and heels race......and left her off with a warning.
a great jockey, though her mounts are hand picked she makes the most of them and seems happy with her lot.

What i love about Bryony is the story she told of being called before the stewards re use of the whip.
So in she walks and offered her evidence as to how she only gave the horse a few cracks, gave her mount time to respond , keeping him balanced and doing her best to encourage the horse.
Then the stewards explained to her that it was a hands and heels race......and left her off with a warning.
a great jockey, though her mounts are hand picked she makes the most of them and seems happy with her lot.

:lol:

That's almost on a par with the one I often re-tell about Willie Carson being interviewed by the stewards after losing on a horse at Hamilton.

Steward: What were your instructions?
Carson: To hold the horse up.
Steward: For how long?
Carson: Till Ayr next week!

I am Irish myself and would see myself as being in the Blackmore great, Frost overrated camp. So I am certainly not being disparaging in describing others that have that view!!

Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk

Is mise le meas,

Capall.

Frosty The Noman, that's tickled me :lol: I'm easily pleased, mind.

Last edited:
Just catching up with today's action to date.

The camera coverage of the National course races is seriously diminished by not having the head-on view of the approaching to Becher's, the outside corner view of the fence itself and the same with the Canal Turn.

The races just look like ordinary events without those.

Last edited:
ITV seem very keen on using drone footage just like in the rugby World Cup. It doesn’t enhance the sport Imo despite Ed Chamberlain’s enthusiasm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It really was a shambles, wasn't it?! Like they could see clearly after 1pm it was happening, but didn't react or adjust! Surely someone senior steps up and makes a call. Every ****** race on split screen. Feel like I didn't even see the John Durkin.

Back