TV coverage

Voting for McCririck to be part of the team would be like voting for Donald Trump to be the next president of the USA.

The thing about Chapman is that he can ask difficult/awkward to trainers/jockeys/owners without falling out with them.I know it's relative but can you name anybody else in racing who gets the chance to ask the questions that he does-for me he gets the most out of jockeys/trainers/owners.

McCririck went past his sell by date about 20 years ago.

of course he did..but at least he had a sell by date... rather than being wallpaper

i'm not calling for him back..but i am saying..that such as Chapman is a must..re Luke's comments.

how many times have people said..ooh they have gone native..well Matt don't do ...gone native

like i said earlier..people have to decide if they want boring or not..its no use recommending boring to start with..then grumbling about it being dull later..can't have it both ways..if its dull to start with..its unlikely to change

From RP

ITV WILL take horseracing to a wider audience with cross-promotion through shows such as This Morning and Loose Women, the controller of the broadcaster's sport production, Mark Demuth, said on Thursday.
The channel has already begun pushing the new coverage, running an advert at half time during the England v Scotland match last Friday night which was watched by nine million people.
However, Demuth would not put a figure on how big an audience it is hoping to attract once it takes over from Channel 4 in a four-year deal starting on January 1.
Demuth and ITV senior director and head of major events Paul McNamara updated racing figures on their plans for the coverage at the RCA showcase seminar at Doncaster.
That included the presenting team, with plans to base main presenter Ed Chamberlin in the parade ring, a host for the day in the style of "Des Lynam or David Coleman", and no intention to "rein in" Matt Chapman.
After the presentation, Demuth said they hoped to bring racing to a wider audience in the run-up to the sport's "high days" through other ITV programmes.
Racing must 'percolate throughout rest of shows'
"We are trying to engage other shows, the BBC do that promotion well with other shows so that's what we need to do as well," he said.
"So we need to have racing not just isolated in that four-hour window on a Saturday afternoon or midweek, it needs to percolate throughout the rest of the shows.
"We are not kidding ourselves that we are going to have racing slots on This Morning every day, but around the big events we want to join up with racing."
Low viewing figures for some of Channel 4 Racing's coverage had caused concerns within the sport. However, Demuth said: "We are not going to put figures on the audience. It's a bigger profile and a wider audience, so it's things like people hearing about racing in those other shows.
"A long-term aim is that would then lead to a bigger audience. But we never put figures or expectations on an audience, that we are going to go for x or y.
"Audiences fluctuate up and down but if we can boost the profile of the sport you would hope audiences would be good."
Balancing act
McNamara said there would be a balancing act between not alienating the existing audience and bringing a new audience to the programme.
Chamberlin will be based in the parade ring and the coverage will not return to a studio for more analysis. "We want to be outside," Demuth added.
Demuth also said they would not be restricting Chamberlin's fellow presenter Chapman.
"There's no point hiring someone and then telling them to be a different type of broadcaster, what would the point of that be?" he said.

When they say handing over of the equipment as the issue I'm just picturing Nick Luck & Ed Chamberlain scrapping on the floor for the microphone.

If it was F1 or another mainstream sport I doubt there'd be these logistical difficulties

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I make that the last Saturday Morning Line. Pretty much summed up the good and bad of the programme in the first 15 minutes today. A truly moving tribute to Walter Swinburn which had me welling up followed immediately by a toe curling Mr & Mrs with Harry Skelton and his (much) better half. A true palm to forehead moment.

It was also notable that there wasn't a single piece of race analysis before the first advert break.

Yes I watched it too. The Wally Swinburne piece and tribute was very good. The rest of the programme was utter garbag, apart from Gina Andrews looking the part!

Back