What are you backing Today? Part 2

Aside from Yonafis (hanging on despite the drift, although no add) I’m finding it difficult to find a bet today so I’ll just lark about. Only a fool would bet against Inspiral but 25/1 seems tempting for Primo Bacio who looked as though she was beginning to fire again last time at Ascot.

Last edited:
The Yonafis drift is 100% New London related who is into 7/4 now. I mean, I can see the case, the horse he beat on the Rowley Mile in his novice is rated in the 100s now but it's a bit depressing - I wish they could find a fcking listed race for him at Salisbury or something.

The more I look at the race the more I think Candleford should be opposed at Newmarket. His pedigree suggests he's not guaranteed to appreciate this step up in trip plus he's had a large ratings hike. I've gone with Trawlerman who was never put in the race at the royal meeting and who is by Golden Horn out of a Monsun mare - that's boat heaven right there. Also interested in Benefit at York. Yes she was behind the fav at Haydock but there was an element of Flotus and Sense of Duty getting first run that day. Benefit strikes me as potentially more progressive as well - her win at Salisbury was visually impressive.

I was going to put Inspiral up today but I was worried someone following me would steal all the 1/7 :lol:

Good day yesterday 2 Stra Bet winners and 2 big priced selections placed.

Don't intend losing my illgotten gains so only some small interest today.

Considerning the strength of his squad and them deciding on the July meeting to intruduce Flying Honours

the RP says he holds Group 1 entry but was that made before he was in full training?

I'll take a chance and lay Flying Honours at 4/6 NOT to be in the first 2.

I much prefer New London 12/5 for CA and William Buick in the 2nd

Goes against the grain to see Mawj beaten so I won't have a bet in the 3rd

San't have Summer Knight at all and much prefer to Dutch Candleford and Contact who head the markt deservidly so.

Dashing Dick EW appeals

g/l all and take it easy look very trappy today

Tomorrows racing is decent.

Inspiral is expected to hose up which on form she should. We'll see how Sibila Spain copes with good to firm ground.

I'm backing Gale Force Maya at York. A top class and hard as nails handicapper who's in great form and can go close in this group 3.

What a nice horse Gale Force Maya is.

Only beaten a couple lengths behind a Commonwealth Cup third in Flotus rated 111.

Connections must be delighted.

I suspect Inspiral bounced.

She'll probably definitely be kept to her own gender and age now and hopefully will be a better price next time than she should be.

I do hope no one lost big money on her.

Chester 4.53 - True Jem 5/1 - tracker alert from a race I identified earlier in the season. Badly bumped last time so that disappointment is forgivable and I'm happy with the price (BOG).

Super Saturday and I have a few:

Jimi Hendrix 2.40 Newm. Ran a screamer from the front in the Britannia, a very hard race to make all in and finishing third there does him great credit. In oppo you have a Hannon horse who won a podunk race at Donny against three rivals and a Godolphin who won a Thirsk novice by a head. Of course being a blue boy you have to fear them but the selection is very solid at 7/2

Mutassabeq 3.35 Ascot. This looks trappy on first glance but Chindit heads the market and I think he needs a straight track. He was below form over course and distance in the SJP last year and also at Goodwood. My Oberon and Modern News have their chances but I really like the way Muta' finished his race in the Sandown mile and this stiffer mile should really suit. He didn't act at Epsom last time.

Star of Orion Bunbury Cup. Already mentioned in the thread of this race.

Mahrajaan John Smiths. He's not much of a price now but got 12/1 when the ap market for this was up. He travelled well first time up behind Contact at Haydock before tiring and he's in the best hands - I just thought his price was always gonna shorten if he made it here.
Just Fine same race. A tracker horse since a good run in third at the track in May he was poor at Royal Ascot but the horses who beat him at York have franked the form since then so I thought he was worth another go.

Caturra/Korker City Walls. I'm not convinced Winter Power has trained on but she's actually become a backable price in this (mainly due to the staggering odds of Royal Acclaim who is 3s despite zero worthwhile form). I thought Korker was too big at 10s on Monday, he ran a stormer after being left at the start at the Royal meeting and before that won a handicap impressively off of a lofty rating. Caturra has good form with Mitbaahy and has his chance here if the fav bombs out.

As winner of last year's Nunthorpe Winter Power 4.40Y is streets ahead of lstd class, and her attempt to make all in a red hot King's Stand should have cleared her pipes nicely. Looks a good thing for this, on her way to repeat last year's triumph.
5/2 B365

My thoughts for today, based on my own figures, written on Thursday. The Bunbury Cup and Magnet Cup are on their own threads:

Newmarket 2.40 - I’ve taken 9/2 Bay Of Honour, a standout price (Hills) with the longest elsewhere being 3/1. Godolphin won this last year with Royal Fleet off 93, which went up to 100 for winning and he's now 110 or so. Buick opts for Bay Of Honour over the 100-rated New Kingdom (Doyle) so I wouldn't be surprised if this is another good 'un. Godolphin also won it with First Contact (100, raised to 109). It’s a smashing wee race, though, and it would be no surprise whichever of them won.

Newmarket 4.25 - I’m interested that Buick sticks with Creative Force but wonder if he had the choice. It’s also possible Naval Crown was on the wrong side at Ascot. Alcohol Free would have a shout on her best form but is she up to showing it? Same goes for Emaraaty Ana. Artorius looked marginally unlucky but there’s no guarantee Spencer will time it right. On balance, I have to stick with Naval Crown (13/2 taken). I might have a wee pop at Emaraaty Ana at long odds. The trainer was unlucky in this race with a similar type in Brando.

York 4.40 - Winter Power had been woeful this season but all her best form is here and if she’s anywhere near that level she wins with her head in her chest.

Ascot 3.40 - I’m not getting too involved in this race. I’m happy to take 16/1 Stone Of Destiny, with Probert here for the ride, and leave it at that.

Ascot 3.35 - I’ll only have a bet in this if it’s a free one, in which case it will be Mutasaabeq (7/2).

Back