What are you backing Today? Part 2

If you've backed Equilateral and Shinjaari today you've been fcked by a bad ride on the former (don't think he'd have won) and benefited from the howler Buick gave the 3yo in the latter.

I'm not so sure, Euro.

I thought Buick's horse was struggling to go the pace early and I'll be rating Sinjaari value for an extra two lengths. Listening to the post-race interview, I think maybe Shoemark was riding to instructions so I can cut him some slack on that one but he didn't make it look good (the ride, rather than the horse).

Royal Ascot winner Heredia well beaten. Sums up the day nicely.

I was on Grande Dame at Royal Ascot I thought she might out run the odds that day when she finished near last. I thought second place was the best she could hope for today.

I suppose if every horse race made perfect logical sense there would be no bookmakers would there...

Last edited:
I'm not so sure, Euro.

I thought Buick's horse was struggling to go the pace early and I'll be rating Sinjaari value for an extra two lengths. Listening to the post-race interview, I think maybe Shoemark was riding to instructions so I can cut him some slack on that one but he didn't make it look good (the ride, rather than the horse).

Just watched it through a couple of times again. It looks like Buick maybe thought they were going too fast up front. The on-screen speedo was showing 38/39mph through the first few furlongs and it was after about three furlongs that Buick dropped his mount back. The field then slowed down on the turn - as they have to - to as low as 29mph, at which point he was still last, and then speeded back up to 39mph as they hit the straight so Buick was now trying to make his ground as the field was in overdrive. Those exertions, along with the hill, were taking their toll through the final two furlongs when they gradually slowed down to 33mph at the line.

Checkandchallenge is almost certainly worth a mark-up but so will be a few others.

Last edited:
Sinjaari was always going to come on strong in the last furlong - he’s been running Im2 and more ‘til he changed hands - and the stiff finish suited him. Almost got him bogged down in the pack, though. I thought CandC was a bit tapped for toe early and Buick chose not to force him up at that stage which was fair enough, although it left him with a struggle later.

Going gone soft at Haydock which is a pity since Sea La Rosa in the Lancashire Oaks is untested on it. Reduced bet @ 5/1.

She’s a Mirage 3:50 - Came from well off the pace to finished strongly last time and should be well suited by the extra furlong on nursery handicap debut. 7/1 atm.

Sinjaari 2:25 Sandown - badly drawn in Royal Hunt Cup, last off bridle and finished very strongly to 5th and best of those drawn high. 100/30 atm.

Thank you, Sinjaari, hard luck Sea La Rosa - you ran into a really good one, I think. She’s a Mirage didn’t feature at all, maybe only hands and heels pressure suggest this time wasn’t on.

Can't separate fools and horses but we can restrict our bets.

A short priced 20quid treble to pass the time more than anything.

Haven't looked at anything bar the price so it's on a wing and a prayer:)

Dellboy Trotter

Who's The Guv'Nor

One For Billy

Not a betting proposition at the price - 6/5 - but I’m interested in watching the development of Enshrine 5:40 Chelmsford. Went in my notebook after her debut run over 7f Class 4 Maiden at Newmarket where she finished strongly, then made heavy weather of winning over 1m Class 5 Maiden at Windsor when heavy odds-on. Now up again to 1m2f which should suit and on the All-Weather for some reason. All part of a careful education, she’s not being rushed and she won’t be knocked about to win it.

2nd @ 5/6. “ soon led, pushed along under 2f out, ridden and headed over 1f out, kept on, always held”. Still very much work in progress I think. Not, in all honesty, that there seems an exciting talent waiting to burst forth.

Last edited:
Throne Hall 3.35A
Close up 2nd in a similar race on his 3rd run for Archie Watson latest,and makes the long trip to Ayr as his sole runner at the meeting.
11/4 B365.

Last edited:
If you have money to burn you could do worse than back
De Barley Basket 7/2 who jumps great and will attempt to run them into the ground today

Catterick 3.50 Mr Chua - Holds a big chance off a mark of 72 and strong in the early betting too.

Last edited:
Have backed Lethal Levi 16/1 6pl B365 in tomorrow's big sprint h'cap.
Up with the strong pace in a hot York h/c, he still finished 1st of the prominent racers, and his subsequent 2nd on this track was to a horse given an easy lead in a slowly run contest.
Lightweight Jimmy Quinn travels for the sole ride,too.

Last edited:
Newmarket 3.00

Azure Blue has form with the favourite in this race and a decent 7lb pull at the weights with the Haggas filly aswell. Azure Blue has never really ran a bad race, is very consistent and runs off a light weight here.

She's a good each way chance I reckon I am just hoping she can improve again.

Last edited:
Brave Nation 2:25 Newmarket, 8/1 atm - challenging for the lead when cut up by the cavorting The Ridler and severely hampered in the Norfolk at Royal Ascot to finish fourth. Would have gone close otherwise, I think.

Back