What are you backing Today? Part 2

Overwrite 2.20M is better class than these, and Joe Fannng likely to force the pace from his low draw.
9/2 B365

One more I'm backing tomorrow as I see the price has halved from 10s to 5s just now.

Clay Regazzoni (3.20) is a horse who was rated as high as 80 early last year, now down to 59. This market support could prove significant.

Ps, good luck in taking me (and Ayr Poet) on Reet, may the best man win. :)

Last edited:
Carlisle 2.45.

Tangled E/W won class five and class four races at Beverley last season as a five year old, making 2020 his best season in training, since being a two year old when he was trained by Richard Hannon in 2017.

The 2017 season he showed great early promise when winning two class two's back-to-back, at Newmarket and at York.

These efforts took him to a rating of 100+, but he lost his way after that, before winning the Beverley races last season.

After a fair second the last day at his favorite track Beverley, he now looks bet material here, as he's on a very fair rating... decent odds at 20/1 or thereabouts too.

Tangled is out again tomorrow at Beverley (2.20), dropped in class but carrying a bigger weight. The ground conditions will likely be soft again.

Why can't he win again off a 5lb higher mark? If I had him down as well handicapped the last day I guess he's still well handicapped now.

Last edited:
I'm also sweet on Ayr Poet in the 2.20.

A very good lower grade horse whose only attempt at class four level two runs ago resulted in him being given too much to do by his jockey. He then went back down in class when only beaten a nose the last day. Basically, he's still very interesting with this featherweight on his back upped to class four level again.
Remembered to back it and Euro Implosion.Also had to back Sauchiehall Street in the same race under the backing horses named after places I’ve been to system. Thankfully Winfola has been pulled from the race or I would have had to back her, too, as she’s bound to win on a day when I don’t.

Last edited:
Well done Marb! I got the second as well using the well I’ve backed pretty much everything else so may as well back the outsider system!

Nice one. Euro Implosion won well, really gutsy and determined. A shame about the other two!

I'm putting this horse down so I don't forget, he runs on Tuesday at Musselburgh.

4.38 Euro Implosion by far my best bet on this card. I don't mind going back two seasons to see why a horse is very well handicapped, but three seasons is usually where I draw the line.

Euro Implosion won three races on the bounce in 2019, including here at Musselburgh over this distance. That win was on a mark of 62, (after the winning hat trick he went up to 80) .

He went backwards last season, but after having a 2021 seasonal opener, he arrives in this low level class six on a mark of 59, so everything looks perfect for him to get his head in front starting off here at Mussleburgh. I'm hoping for 5/1 or thereabouts when they price it tomorrow.

Excellent Marb! 6/1

Last edited:
Hamilton

3.10 Finally Mine came second to a solid yardstick in the shape of Ayr Poet at Musselburgh in April. As we know Ayr Poet placed today in class four company, so finishing second when giving Ayr Poet half a stone in weight was a really good effort by Finally Mine. This filly is worth chancing now in class five grade. She may improve markedly stepped up in trip. 5/1.

Last edited:
Beverley

3.50 Espresso Freddo started off in training with Mark Prescott. He won two minor races before moving to trainer Robert Stephens. He didn't set the world alight in 2018, but more recently, in the last two seasons, ran well on heavy ground when placing in second place a couple of times, winning on the all weather, plus winning on soft ground in a race at Windsor. Espresso Fredo is priced at about 10/1, I feel he might be able to win on really soft or heavy ground. That might now be the key to him.

Non Runner meeting abandoned.

Last edited:
Tangled, (Bev 2.20) has shortened to the price that I thought it should be, 4/1. Excellent chance.

Non Runner meeting abandoned.

Last edited:
She won't get in one, off 87 Marb...needs to win a race...

The Ebor could well be the long term target...

Inchicore upped 8lb to 95 from 87, Max.

Royal Ascot, Copper Horse stakes over 1M6F for 4yo +, last race on the first day. I await the entries.

Kevin Blake would be proud of this race planning. :)

Last edited:
18Lb for her previous win, that's some hike!

The handicapper must have seen/suspected something there...

Last edited:
Royal Pleasure looks a very generous price at 15/8 on the machine for the 7.50 Wolves. No point messing around with a mark of 80 and no issue with track or the trip. He's either the best handicapped horse in the race or he isn't.

Royal Pleasure looks a very generous price at 15/8 on the machine for the 7.50 Wolves. No point messing around with a mark of 80 and no issue with track or the trip. He's either the best handicapped horse in the race or he isn't.
well done :)

Nice one, Slim. You were right about him being well handicapped; didn't have a bet, but thought the 2nd had a good chance.
Fancy a Balding double tonight:
Ranch Hand 6.50 5/1
Fox Tai7.25 11/2
Both B365

Nice one, Slim. You were right about him being well handicapped; didn't have a bet, but thought the 2nd had a good chance.
Fancy a Balding double tonight:
Ranch Hand 6.50 5/1
Fox Tai7.25 11/2
Both B365

Charlton horse is fancied 7.25 but I think they are all pissing against the wind with the fav.

Possibly but you can deffo upgrade his effort in the Gordon Richards given he had to use plenty of energy just to get the lead in that race. He's a back to partial lay prop imo.

I like Final Watch in the 8.30. He went into the tracker after his win at Newmarket and although this is a step up in trip he's bred to stay a mile. Around 7/1 is fair.

Bit of a quiet time lately, but taken 2/1 on Fishable 3:35 Ripon. He had a bit of support at York last time out in a Class 2. Lost five lengths at the start, got himself back into contention only to find the road ahead suddenly close in front of him about a furlong out. Not a full betsworth chance, though.

There’s also a hot 2yo race at Sandown - 6:15 - which is going to be informative for sorting out the top rankings.

Bit of a quiet time lately, but taken 2/1 on Fishable 3:35 Ripon. He had a bit of support at York last time out in a Class 2. Lost five lengths at the start, got himself back into contention only to find the road ahead suddenly close in front of him about a furlong out. Not a full betsworth chance, though.

There’s also a hot 2yo race at Sandown - 6:15 - which is going to be informative for sorting out the top rankings.

Didn’t add to the bet, but happy enough with Fishable win. He made nearly all the running and showed a lot of grit when the second came alongside a furlong or so out. I think he can do more, but have to see what the handicapper does.

So far as the Sandown 2yo race was concerned, that really put the cat amongst the pigeons. https://www.talkinghorses.co.uk/for...ning-Flat-2021&p=757442&viewfull=1#post757442

Last edited:
Where's Outsider been lately, maybe he's having a break?

I hope he enjoyed one of his favourite handicappers, Eughen Glen, winning the group race at Sandown last night.

It went off 20/1in a four runner race!

I'd expect Assembled 4.45Y to outrun his 50/1 (B365) price tag. Already a winner at this trip, Martin Bosley bought him for 35,000gns out of Hugo Palmer's yard last October after a close 5th in a similar race at Chelmsford, gelded since, it wouldn't take a minor miracle to see him first 3 in this 8 runner field.

There's one horse worth a write up from me tomorrow.

Chester

2.40 Alexander James won first time out in 2019 when winning a novice stakes race for Iain Jardine. He actually won that race in the manner of a very good horse when beating the hot favorite trained by Simon Crisford, called Chance a whopping 13 lengths.

He then placed twice in novice races which included a placed run behind a 100+ rated horse called Last Empire.

The next we saw of him in this country was a year later when chucked in a prestigious handicap at Royal Ascot, when trained by Gay Kellaway.

He finished 11th that day which was actually a better run than the finishing position indicated as he was leading his group until the closing stages.

A year on he now joins trainer Michael Appleby who chooses Chester as the first place to run Alexander James.

He's been given a good chance by the handicapper because he's now running on a rating of 91, which going back through his form, seems pretty fair.

He's a front running type who has been allocated stall 2 tomorrow which could aide his front running style, so this fella might prove difficult to get past here if his jockey makes use of his good draw.

14/1.

Last edited:
Back