What are you backing Today? Part 2

Persistent,aren't you?:D
Bear in mind,sectionals only show the speed of the leader at each point,which renders them pointless in this case.
Makarova has never run over 5f before,therefore his rating is clearly skewed.

Persistent,aren't you?:D
Bear in mind,sectionals only show the speed of the leader at each point,which renders them pointless in this case.
Makarova has never run over 5f before,therefore his rating is clearly skewed.

:cool:

Just following your lead :lol:

The RTV sectionals show each horse's time for each furlong/section. I think SR, where necessary, calculates his own individual sections.

I was thinking about the sectional picture really vis a vis the winner as I'm not convinced it was the freakish performance you're suggesting.

I think the form on the far side where he raced stacks up and in races where they split like that I tend to rate the sides separately anyway. What I'm not so clear about is how sectionals are affected by course or pace bias. I suspect SR would say sections are sections are sections and the principles apply regardless but it would make me wonder why Makarova didn't go for the Dash last week. RPRs suggest she'd have won the £50k first prize there instead of two and a half grand for finishing fourth yesterday. The black type might have been worth more in the longer term but if she's that good she could pick up black type any time going forward.

Enjoying the debate, though :)

:cool:

Just following your lead :lol:

The RTV sectionals show each horse's time for each furlong/section. I think SR, where necessary, calculates his own individual sections.

I was thinking about the sectional picture really vis a vis the winner as I'm not convinced it was the freakish performance you're suggesting.

I think the form on the far side where he raced stacks up and in races where they split like that I tend to rate the sides separately anyway. What I'm not so clear about is how sectionals are affected by course or pace bias. I suspect SR would say sections are sections are sections and the principles apply regardless but it would make me wonder why Makarova didn't go for the Dash last week. RPRs suggest she'd have won the £50k first prize there instead of two and a half grand for finishing fourth yesterday. The black type might have been worth more in the longer term but if she's that good she could pick up black type any time going forward.

Enjoying the debate, though :)

You sure those times are individual sections?
Afaiaa, that would need a chip in each saddlecloth,and I've not heard a mention since Turftrax tried a few years ago.
Makarova probably didn't take in the Dash as it's hardly the ideal track for dropping back in trip.

Last edited:
Fair enough, they do look the business, but where did you get these from & are they available on other races?

Last edited:
RTV use Coursetrack for their meetings, details here: https://www.racingtv.com/racingdata

ATR have sectionals for the tracks they cover, France Galop have them for French races and you can use gmaxequine.com to link through to equibase for some US racing.

Last edited:
Other main bet is Acotango at Newbury at 7/2. price taken last night. He went into my tracker after his Haydock second behind a horse that's won well since. Solid chance.

Acotango back out Tuesday at Southwell. Ran too bad to be true at Newmarket (not Newbury as stated above) and that Haydock run has worked out so well he's worth persevering with. Around 9/2 is OK.

Last edited:
GL Euro, though I reckon he was simply outpaced lto,and I've taken him on with Metahorse @ 6/1 which should appreciate the drop in class.

Timeless Melody 5.10S
5/1 B365.
Bought by Wm Haggas after finishing 2nd to one of his at Kempton, she wouldn't have appreciated the steady pace over 1m at a soft ground Ascot.
Looks a solid bet over a fast ground 10f,today.

Regional certainly broke well but was happy to take a lead thereafter and was still going away from those around him in the final half-furlong despite taking a keen hold in the early stages.

He is a candidate for the bounce if he comes out too soon but I do think he is just improving a great deal. He peaked at 103 last summer but started this season on 100, went up to 105 for his York win and will probably go up to 112 for today. I imagine that will put him beyond handicaps so they'll need to be careful where they take him as he's maybe not up to G1s yet.

Regional has only gone up to 109.

The handicapper is clearly unconvinced by the form. I wonder if he'll blog his rationale.

I can imagine Regional trying his luck in the Stewards' Cup or Ayr Gold Cup off that kind of mark. He isn't in the Wokingham.

Regional has only gone up to 109.

The handicapper is clearly unconvinced by the form. I wonder if he'll blog his rationale.

I can imagine Regional trying his luck in the Stewards' Cup or Ayr Gold Cup off that kind of mark. He isn't in the Wokingham.
Fast ground and flat tracks are his big things and we'll try and keep Regional to that now. I'd imagine we'll look at the Nunthorpe in August as it looks a logical target. We'll chat about what we do in the interim - there's the City Walls with a penalty or the King George at Goodwood. Ed Bethell

WD Reet. Only went for the win myself but at massive odds for the potential chance - a perfect example of when to ignore a massive drift. Yard seemed confident she would come back to form at some point.

On the face of it, there was no logic to that drift. She seemed to be moving OK on the way to post. Half-thinking that someone put out a crafty word saying she wasn't ready, waited for the biggest prices last minute, then had a few bob on - which might explain the contraction in the last minute or so. Conspiracy theory! But maybe worth watching the yard for something similar in future.

Back