What are you backing Today? Part 2

Thursday

2.50 Newbury-Classic Times

Each Way @ 12-1 [Bet 365]

First ever race but heard her name mentioned by decent source in the winter

Aramaic 3.15S
7/2 B365
Needs to win this to ensure a John Smith's run (currently 52nd in the list)
Tom Marqand forgoes juicy rides elsewhere to ensure he does.
Hardly coincidence his prep run was over was over the York c/d either,imo.

Last edited:
Aramaic 3.15S
7/2 B365
Needs to win this to ensure a John Smith's run (currently 52nd in the list)
Tom Marqand forgoes juicy rides elsewhere to ensure he does.
Hardly coincidence his prep run was over was over the York c/d either,imo.

Good spot, Reet. Shortening.

Hope he does it tomorrow. But he'll have a good view of Lucander's backside at York as they cross the line :-)

I've put my longshots on that thread and on another very quiet betting day ahead of Ascot I'm restricting myself to these (written on Thursday):

York 3.05 - The two top-rated dominate the betting so the bookies probably have the race covered. If there is a smidgen of value it might be Divine Jewel. She went up to 102 for a short-head second in a Listed race in France (soft) and I’m curious about why she’s only reappearing now. Could she be targeting the Ebor for which winning this this race offers automatic qualification (but she’s likely to get in anyway)? I’ll hold off until the morning to see if anyone offers three places or markets without one of the big two.

York 3.40 - This is one of the very few 3yo handicaps I actively study before royal Ascot, mainly because I seem to have a good record in it, probably down to luck as much as anything because it’s a bit of a minefield. I’m going to suggest a long list of Rabaah, Washington Heights, Quinault, Dark Kestrel and Pure Angel. The win odds combine at just under 6/4, which doesn’t seem unfair but I don’t want to back them all. I’ve taken 15/2 (boosted, BOG) Quinault and will think about savers in the morning.

Sandown 2.15 - Magical Morning would be lobbed in on his best form for the Gosdens when he won a decent prize this time last year off 105 but you have to wonder why either the trainers or the owner, Lady Bampot, got rid of him and his subsequent form implies there was a reason. This is his first run since a wind op and he’s blinkered for the first time so they’re maybe getting desperate with him. He holds an entry in the John Smith and would probably need a penalty to make the cut so might be worth giving one last chance. I’ve also taken 16/1 (ew 4 pl) Autumn Festival on account of his profile but a win for Dutch Decoy would be no surprise.

First 3 favourites couldn't even get a place in what looked like 3 easy races.

Load of dross again while the good horses are doing what we should do.......wait for Acsot.

One gorse I did like was Great State but he's odds on now so............roll on Tuesday when things might get back to normal.

York 3.40 - This is one of the very few 3yo handicaps I actively study before royal Ascot, mainly because I seem to have a good record in it, probably down to luck as much as anything because it’s a bit of a minefield. I’m going to suggest a long list of Rabaah, Washington Heights, Quinault, Dark Kestrel and Pure Angel. The win odds combine at just under 6/4, which doesn’t seem unfair but I don’t want to back them all. I’ve taken 15/2 (boosted, BOG) Quinault and will think about savers in the morning.

Never in doubt :p

(Ensures a nice overall profit on the day so all systems go for Ascot.)

'I’ve taken 15/2 (boosted, BOG) Quinault'

Yup, a lovely winner at a lovely price.

Well done, DO. Good work.

Last edited:
Back