What are you backing Today? Part 2

Started typing this up to go on the longshot thread, but it's kept going blue and the 20s B3 has disappeared in the last 15 mins or so. 20s seemed fair enough, I'm not sure it is now at a max 14. But let's not waste the words.....

Afterlife 6.35 Windsor

Robert Cowell knows how to handle sprinters, Tom M rides with a strong enough record for the stable.

Afterlife left Gosden after a Newbury 7f novice win on GF. RP is showing a 100k sale last Oct a month after that race. But doesn't seem to have been taken over by RC till about 6 months after. Not sure what happened there, but assume owner sold, stayed in yard, and subsequently moved for whatever reason.

Hampered start only subsequent start a couple of weeks ago and no impact.

Only 8 runners here and not exactly hopeless competition pretty much all round. Even the 33-1 shot could go OK. But time may show Afterlife is a couple of grades above this class 4.

Last edited:
5.35 Windsor-Red Zone Hero @ 9-2 [BetUK]

All having their debut run, but like the booking of Marquand for this colt

My pals from Sydney have flown all the way down to Melbourse to back The Hass. at Ladbroke Park Sandown

I'll have a few quid on but they could have picked an easier race to try and land a touch in.

I'll have a saver on Tarzi Calling

Matt Sheppard does well enough with his chasers, and Stan Sheppard knows how to ride them. Barely Famous 1.58 Worc. Blue 16-1 and not much more than 18s on BF.

By Fame And Glory, good chances he'll take to fencing. Had a couple of unplaced sighters over hurdles recently but has 3 previous hurdle wins. On paper only Swapped stands out as a major worry, maybe Cotton End.

The other Fame And Glory (Deer Hunter), I don't think will be anywhere near Barely Famous, and the Mahler (Coconut) is on a first run for Derek Shaw, can't see that happening. ofc there could be something else hidden away or ready to step up a bit.

Last edited:
I have the 4.30 at Newcastle between Thankuappreciate and Desert Games. Both ran eye catching races at Beverley in a Sunday Series meeting (the former slowly away before rattling home - did the same at Windsor over 6 last week and the latter meeting trouble in running). They were 2nd and 3rd in front of Winter Crown at Beverley and that horse, on my tracker for ages, is running at Nottingham and is very short. I have him in a double with Thanku... and Desert Games just a single. I'm a bit frustrated at the moment as the theme of the next couple of days is short priced tracker horses - Tafreej, Peace Man, Pinafore and likely Balance Play all run tomorrow. Multis.

Last edited:
I must be mad! Didtheyleaveuoutto 3.21 Cart Has near enough perfect conditions today, perhaps a couple of f further wouldn't have gone amiss. Moved from Nick Gifford to Ben Haslam (a typical McManus move) a few months back. I know (when still with NG) they thought he still had enough to win a big race. Clearly that hasn't happened and perhaps they realised he just wasn't going to do it.
20-1 yesterday opening disappeared fairly rapidly. There's a chance that wasn't actually money and bookies fear instead. But one last chance today.

I'm thinking Couer Serein may have been prepared for the Uttoxeter feature.

Thibault 4.25 Utt - could carry 80% of these round twice if Adam West has got him back to form of a year or two ago.

I must be mad! Didtheyleaveuoutto 3.21 Cart Has near enough perfect conditions today, perhaps a couple of f further wouldn't have gone amiss.

Didthey did it, by approx half an inch.

Can be backed to follow this up, back up in class in a 3 miler somewhere over the summer, but only if high single figures at least.

Back