What are you backing Today? Part 2

That 2.05 at Haydock was a really weird race. Messy all over the place and jockeys looking like amateurs. Good winner but lots of the beaten horses will leave the form behind.

I didn't enjoy that 2.20 at Sandown. I kept looking for Intellogent and wondering why he wasn't getting a mention and lost my concentration on how Orbaan and Major Partnership were doing. I couldn't see the wood for the trees since MP made the running (I thought it was much whiter than it seemed). Turns out Intellogent didn't leave the stalls so I'm at the mercy of those nice bookies to see if they refund me.

Poor ride from Tudhope. You just can't give the pace horses that much ground at that track. Why Haggas has Marquand at Sandown is beyond me, he surely can't think he has a chance in the Eclipse.

Did its stamina give out in the last 50yds? Looked all over the winner and Haydock is a course where front runners tend to get collared close home.

Lots of disappointments in the race and won by something rated 104.

She's not straightforward, still have nightmares about the Ribblesdale. I think it's that rather than stamina limitations that make her a hard horse to bet at a short price. Unlucky if you got the 4s + of course.

You're right though, plenty of disappointments. Actually quite chuffed I'm sticking to my no bet policy with these fillies races.

Last edited:
Poor ride from Tudhope. You just can't give the pace horses that much ground at that track. Why Haggas has Marquand at Sandown is beyond me, he surely can't think he has a chance in the Eclipse.
He's been ridden that way every single times its run, including the 5 times Marquand rode it.

The winner deserves credit more than the runner-up deserving criticism.

He's been ridden that way every single times its run, including the 5 times Marquand rode it.

The winner deserves credit more than the runner-up deserving criticism.

The runner up needs things to go her way, it didn't today - mainly due to a questionable ride.

Last edited:
I didn't enjoy that 2.20 at Sandown. I kept looking for Intellogent and wondering why he wasn't getting a mention and lost my concentration on how Orbaan and Major Partnership were doing. I couldn't see the wood for the trees since MP made the running (I thought it was much whiter than it seemed). Turns out Intellogent didn't leave the stalls so I'm at the mercy of those nice bookies to see if they refund me.

I missed the start and couldnt understand where Intellogent was until the replay.Hamlet moment.
So that's 2 NRs in my yankee.

San 3.40 (BO = best odds at the time of compiling, earlier this afternoon)

[TABLE="width: 444"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]Horse[/TD]
[TD]OR[/TD]
[TD]MON[/TD]
[TD]Notes[/TD]
[TD]BO[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Emily Upjohn[/TD]
[TD]120[/TD]
[TD]127[/TD]
[TD]+p[/TD]
[TD]11/8[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Paddington[/TD]
[TD]123[/TD]
[TD]125[/TD]
[TD]p t +t?[/TD]
[TD]11/10[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Dubai Honour[/TD]
[TD]122[/TD]
[TD]122[/TD]
[TD]p[/TD]
[TD]11/1[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] West Wind Blows[/TD]
[TD]111[/TD]
[TD]113[/TD]
[TD]p +?[/TD]
[TD]25/1[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

There has to be a good chance he’ll [Paddington] improve for stepping up to this trip and just 5lbs’ improvement would take him up to 130, which would put nothing between him and the filly. It’s a race to watch, savour and hope that we see both draw well clear of the field. There’s no need to bet in races like this.

Well, I got my wish. A proper race.

The runner up needs things to go her way, it didn't today - mainly due to a questionable ride.
Got boxed by Time Lock off a none too generous pace,and had to check, switch out and around horses.
These things happen - usually when I've backed them.:surrender:

San 1.50 - I thought when I started this race I might be struggling to come up with a selection but Equality might be a good thing. Its chance looks only average on ORs and RPRs but its win last time reads exceptionally well. Last time at Windsor it won a decent 5f hcap by no fewer than 5½ lengths, no mean feat at the best of times. The runner up had been a half-length second the time before, and subsequently a 3-length fourth, off a pound lower, the third had three runs previously been a ‘quickened clear, comfortably” winner off 3lbs lower, the fourth had been a 3-length winner the time before off 7lbs lower and a 2¾ length third subsequently. Equality absolutely destroyed them in a good time. The handicapper has, I think, been very lenient in raising it only 6lbs. 5½ lengths at five furlongs is about 20lbs. He won’t be caught on the rail out of four and 13/2 is absolutely a huge price and four places is a fantastic safety net for a big each-way bet. I could have fancied Get Ahead for a saver but the wide draw here could compromise his chance a bit. Equilateral (drawn 10) has already been taken out and I wouldn’t be surprised if Get Ahead f
Good pick,DO.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Main bet for me on Saturday will be Ramazan at Haydock. Comes from a really good form race at York where he finished third just in front of the Britannia second New Endeavor. Catch the Paddy in second that day was unwisely stepped down to 6 after this and runs in the 3yo race over the same trip later in the card where he will also be backed. Ramazan ran really well himself in the Britannia, just didn't quite get home. Chartwell House is respected back here but went up 9lbs for his last win and won't have as much free reign up front. The rest of the field is made up of pretty much exposed older handicappers.

Nice one, euro

Not backed but that was a pretty good Eclipse in my opinion.

I was there so need to watch it back, but not impressive from Paddington, getting weight as well. EU was getting to him, another 50 yards I think she would have had him. He's very 'front heavy' and looks like he could do with a bit of time to grow into himself properly. His back end looks 'weak' alongside others, talented as he is. Spencer tried to make it a proper race at least but hugely disappointing so few runners.

Ditto. Did it cosily despite running in only three shoes. Probably better than the bare form and up to defying a rise.

I was checking the entries for the week ahead. A note to self. :) Dark Pine is entered on Friday at Chester, which is a track the horse has done really well at in the past. He was taken off his feet in what looked a decent class two race at Haydock the last day, when making ground towards the end, after never really being in contention for most of that race. Now possibly dropped to class three level at Chester again this Friday, (with final declarations this Wednesday), I think he'd have a great chance of winning in a race that might be tailor made for him.

As I say, this is just a note to self :).

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail and all that. :)

Last edited:
Back