What are you backing Today? Part 2

Poor ride from Tudhope. You just can't give the pace horses that much ground at that track. Why Haggas has Marquand at Sandown is beyond me, he surely can't think he has a chance in the Eclipse.
Just watched this back and it's as plain as day that Probert was determined to keep the fav boxed in. Twat.

I reckon the fav got her nose in front inside the final furlong but the other one was too strong in the last couple of strides and, if anything, starting to go away again. There has to be the possibility that if she'd got out earlier she'd have hit the front earlier and folded sooner. That's not to say she wouldn't have been far enough clear to hold on but I wouldn't be wanting on her in an eyeballing contest.

She deserves a marginal mark-up on the sections, suggesting she was the best horse in the race.

Screenshot (20).png

As I say, the sections say she is the best horse in the race but they also suggest she was perhaps further back than ideal, as were several in the race.

I wonder if this is something of a last hurrah for Summerghand 3:55 Ponty. He’s nine now and been running well in top class handicaps for years. Got an entry in the Stewards Cup at Goodwood, so this is possibly a last gasp to get down to below 100 for that. Think I might take him today for old times sake.

I wonder if this is something of a last hurrah for Summerghand 3:55 Ponty. He’s nine now and been running well in top class handicaps for years. Got an entry in the Stewards Cup at Goodwood, so this is possibly a last gasp to get down to below 100 for that. Think I might take him today for old times sake.

No way was Summerghand going to win today was there.

Thursday, Newmarket 3.00 - Desert Cop 14/1, 4 places - Andrew Balding has a very good record in this race so it may be that he’s targeted Desert Cop at it for a while. The handicapper only put him up a pound for his run behind Shaquille at Newbury. That was the race I said I thought the handicapper had seriously under-rated before Shaquille came out and tore the Commonweath Cup field to shreds. In theory, he could have gone back and upped the ratings of the beaten horses but he didn't. I’ve taken 12/1, 4 places, to decent money. Davies’s claim is a bonus. But I will be mob-handed in the race...

i've backed Desert Cop (e.w.) as I saw the big rise in class & drop in trip lto as a handy prep for this.

Last edited:
The weights for Goodwood have been out for some time, I think, so they couldn't drop Summerghand for it.

But they can for the ayr gold cup though.

Oh, yes. Forgot that. Not sure he has a big one left in him, he’s had a hard old life compared to some. Makes you wonder why they featherbed most of the Group horses so much.

Last edited:
Thursday, Newmarket 3.00 - Desert Cop 14/1, 4 places - Andrew Balding has a very good record in this race so it may be that he’s targeted Desert Cop at it for a while. The handicapper only put him up a pound for his run behind Shaquille at Newbury. That was the race I said I thought the handicapper had seriously under-rated before Shaquille came out and tore the Commonweath Cup field to shreds. In theory, he could have gone back and upped the ratings of the beaten horses but he didn't. I’ve taken 12/1, 4 places, to decent money. Davies’s claim is a bonus. But I will be mob-handed in the race...

I'm wondering if I was mixing up these terms with another race. It looks like bookies are going five and six places and I checked my B365 account a moment ago to find it's 12/1 to five places I've got and I'm not sure if 14s were available at the time of posting. Still a cracking bet, I think.

Yes, I'm with you re Mr Wagyu but I suspect more than one outfit has recognised the possibilities of getting into the Scurry low enough and well enough handicapped to carry a penalty successfully from there to Goodwood and/or take another hit to Ayr (but that's much less likely). I can't find any info via the usual sites re closing dates, weights being published and forfeit stages. I've emailed the course for info.

I was checking the entries for the week ahead. A note to self. :) Dark Pine is entered on Friday at Chester, which is a track the horse has done really well at in the past. He was taken off his feet in what looked a decent class two race at Haydock the last day, when making ground towards the end, after never really being in contention for most of that race. Now possibly dropped to class three level at Chester again this Friday, (with final declarations this Wednesday), I think he'd have a great chance of winning in a race that might be tailor made for him.

As I say, this is just a note to self :).

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail and all that. :)

Dark Pine declared for Chester's 7.30 on Friday. Great form chance.

Friday, Newmarket 1.50 - Bolster 10/1, 5 places - Not only did he do best of those to race prominently at Ascot in the G3 Hampton Court but I’ve rated him on where I reckon he would have finished had he not been seriously messed about up the straight, after which he was looked after. This is a drop in class and he holds a Great Voltigeur entry. I’ll be disappointed if he doesn’t win and extremely disappointed if he doesn’t at least get the place money.

Malc 2:25 Newmarket tomorrow, 4/1 atm. Ran a good second in the Norfolk at Ascot (albeit seemingly unfancied at 66/1) behind the out of the blue 150/1 winner, but in front of Elite Status and the AO’B runner His Majesty. There’s always something likely to jump out of the woodwork in these 2yo races, but it’s going to have to be pretty good to match that performance.

Back