What are you backing Today? Part 2

Ayr 2.30 - it was a really good if not eyecatching run from Glasses Up the last day at Newcastle when staying on well after being keen early on. He's on the lowest mark he's ever been now on just 66. He knew how to win in his day, and still bodes a fair strike rate of 7/62, even though he hasn't actually had his head in front for two years. I reckon tomorrows the day for him I really do. I'm happy enough to take on the Prescott trained odds on fav with Glasses Up at 9/1.

Last edited:
Ayr 2.30 - it was a really good if not eyecatching run from Glasses Up the last day at Newcastle when staying on well after being keen early on. He's on the lowest mark he's ever been now on just 66. He knew how to win in his day, and still bodes a fair strike rate of 7/62, even though he hasn't actually had his head in front for two years. I reckon tomorrows the day for him I really do. I'm happy enough to take on the Prescott trained odds on fav with Glasses Up at 9/1.

I've not trusted Glasses Up for a long time, M; having the feeling that he's a bit of a 'character'. I could be wrong but that's the impression I have.

I certainly wouldn't want to be taking odds-0n for the fav and although he might win, he looks awful value to me and this does look like an ew race, imo.

With that in mind, the Goldie horse, Two Auld Pals, looks a bet to nothing ew @ 4/1 and Ebony Maw is worth a second look on the going here. At the moment you can get 40/1 for 5 places with 365 which could be well tempting.

However, the best bet of all would be that the current 9 runners and three places will be down to 7 runners and two places before the off. The bookies have us stitched up like that, don't they?

Last edited:
Bernie last ran in 2013...some effort to win that haha. Well done anyway Fist.

Last edited:
Well, you live and learn. Just been watching a re-run of the first at Windsor on ATR and found I could run it at half speed. Very handy. (Backed the winner, too, but don’t tell desert :))

When you run the race there’s a little circle bottom right. Click that and it gives you a choice of subtitles and playback speed. You get a choice then of a range through 0.5x to 2x. Shame ATR don’t cover more meetings. (Watching at 2x is fun :blink:)

When you run the race there’s a little circle bottom right. Click that and it gives you a choice of subtitles and playback speed. You get a choice then of a range through 0.5x to 2x. Shame ATR don’t cover more meetings. (Watching at 2x is fun :blink:)

This could be hugely helpful. It's what I advocated in a recent post. I think it makes it easier to see how a race unfolded. For example, in that Windsor race this evening the places hardly changed at all through the race, the leaders extending marginally in the final half-furlong. To me that would suggest a field of largely similar ability [at the weights] running a slower than even pace and all trying to quicken at the same time and pretty much a the same pace, the slightly better ones just getting away a bit late on. That one of mine doesn't really look worth a place in my tracker unless they've a bigger target in mind.

It would be great if RTV did similar.

Thanks again, BJ.

Last edited:
This could be hugely helpful. It's what I advocated in a recent post. I think it makes it easier to see how a race unfolded. For example, in that Windsor race this evening the places hardly changed at all through the race, the leaders extending marginally in the final half-furlong. To me that would suggest a field of largely similar ability [at the weights] running a slower than even pace and all trying to quicken at the same time and pretty much a the same pace, the slightly better ones just getting away a bit late on. That one of mine doesn't really look worth a place in my tracker unless they've a bigger target in mind.

It would be great if RTV did similar.

Thanks again, BJ.

I'm breaking off from evaluating the weekend before last's racing and I would advocate taking a look at the race won by Oneforthegutter from La Yakel (15 July, Ascot, 4.05) in 1.5x or 2x speed on the ATR playback. For me, it shows the front-running Struth kicked on too early off the turn and was collared by the ones who were chasing him and didn't get into full stride until half a furlong after him. I reckon the race is decent form and Struth is worth a mark-up. I'm reluctant to quantify it but put a gun to my head and I'd say 2-3lbs. He'll be one to have onside next time the but the next target might be further down the line knowing the Johnstons.

Last edited:
Obee Jo 7/1 WH. Catterick 3.20 was disaapointing last time but got a poor ride imo. With David Allan back on board I excpect a big run today.

Last edited:
WARNING SIGN 615Nb 11/2 up to 10f and hopefully a bit of cut.kicking myself as I wrote it on my pad to remind me and then still forgot,it was 14/1 earlier.doh.

Back