What are you backing Today? Part 2

6.45 Sandown-Stratocracy

This'll be interesting however it goes. Hannon rates him. But I'm thinking why put Spencer up on a fto 2 year old? Not normal for the yard, unless he was the only one available. (ofc they've had some success recently with Witch Hunter + this booking and the obvious associated running plans)

My guess is they know he'll need education, and they're going to teach him to run through horses from the back. Whether it's the intent to win or just learn may well be the question.

(cue goes off like a bat out of hell, but let's see)

Dasho Lennie runs tomorrow at Ripon and was third in the race above. He was held up sort of mid pack with Fox Journey and when they made their moves in the straight Dasho's jockey went wide and FJ's gambled at possible trouble in running and went inside. That paid off for him but Dasho's finishing effort was solid and the winner franked the form last week at Goodwood. Solid bet in a weaker race tomorrow.

Nice one Euro.

This'll be interesting however it goes. Hannon rates him. But I'm thinking why put Spencer up on a fto 2 year old? Not normal for the yard, unless he was the only one available. (ofc they've had some success recently with Witch Hunter + this booking and the obvious associated running plans)

My guess is they know he'll need education, and they're going to teach him to run through horses from the back. Whether it's the intent to win or just learn may well be the question.

I'd suggest was given a very gentle introduction, And it looked a pretty hot race. Deira Mile was supposedly the greenest beforehand, and made the winner and second work for it. Could well turn out very useful, as could several.

ACCIDENTAL AGENT 730C 14/1 too well hcapped not to back it.

A close 5th 2 necks and a nose off 2nd.4th would have done.

But the eyecatcher of the race was Spirit of Light 6th.was either not trying or was a poor ride.either way hes in the alerts.

Saturday, Ascot 3.55 - Intinso 9/1, 4 places - I can see this one halving by the off. Only 5/1 for the Feilden on his seasonal debut and the principals that day are now all rated over 100. He was clearly expected to be at that level at that stage of the season but races off 87 here.

A close 5th 2 necks and a nose off 2nd.4th would have done.

But the eyecatcher of the race was Spirit of Light 6th.was either not trying or was a poor ride.either way hes in the alerts.

He was trying ( I believe), Williams was expecting the win. And this was valuable enough. Has to be covered up for a late run, and looked like the jockey did a good job of that.

About a furlong out he just didn't get the gap and you could see he had to take a small pull. The way he finished, you'd have to think if he didn't lose that bit of momentum, he'd have been significantly closer. Nearest finish.

Maybe he needs to be out back but also buried in the middle for much of a race, he did seem to have plenty directly in front for a long way but was still on the outside for the first half of the race. Could be he still saw too much daylight in the first half even though seemingly positioned well.

**Fools Rush In** Plot part two, wink wink. They didn't get the ground at Ascot and still ran well enough to suggest they might have pulled it off with significantly deeper ground. Now what's the next real target, I wonder? Ayr Gold Cup? Though I think he's better at 7.

Last edited:
yeah was sluggish leaving the stalls, but still a bit of a underwhelming debut

I'll take that. And similar next time. Ready to go in at 40-1 at somewhere like Windsor on the 3rd run. But I'm expecting Hannon to find an easier race next time for the win, and probably too many know he might be hot. Unlikely to get the prices hoped for, but you never know.

Way back in April I remember putting Regal Empire and Shahbaz into my tracker after they were 2nd and 3rd behind Like a Tiger in a 10f handicap at the Craven meeting. I thought the latter was likely a group horse but things haven't really worked out. His run the last day at Yarmouth suggests a step up to the 12f he tackles today at Ascot will suit and I've backed him.

I'm also on Heredia in the listed Fillies race at Haydock. She has a habit of being slowly away and staying on over 7 and this return to a mile should suit. It's a competitive heat but I'm not keen on the fav or the Haggas horse.

I'm also on Zaman Jemil ew in the Quinault race at Ascot and the Fahey filly in the Al Aasy race back at Haydock. The former went into my tracker when he beat Rock of England (who I backed) at Thirsk. This race is tough but he's double figures so happy to play. Al Aasy is a horse to oppose at short odds and I can't have a Godolphin at the moment so Midnight Mile looks the obvious alternative. She was very impressive last time at York.

Last edited:
Relieved Al Aasy won. I was torn between Midnight Mile and El Drama (liked the trainer upgrade) chose the filly as I do better historically with mid priced horses.

I know it was an outsider and has an awkward head carriage but if I'd backed Fox Tal in that Ascot race I'd be "very disappointed" in the ride a so-called world class jockey gave it racing towards the line. It looked to me like he thought he had the race won and was taken by surprise.

Saturday, Ascot 3.55 - Intinso 9/1, 4 places - I can see this one halving by the off. Only 5/1 for the Feilden on his seasonal debut and the principals that day are now all rated over 100. He was clearly expected to be at that level at that stage of the season but races off 87 here.

Ran well and will probably progress again for the run (and a better jockey) so no complaints. Again, a so-called world class jockey (Chadwick this time) is outridden by British/European one. I thought Doyle was brilliant on the winner.

Way back in April I remember putting Regal Empire and Shahbaz into my tracker after they were 2nd and 3rd behind Like a Tiger in a 10f handicap at the Craven meeting. I thought the latter was likely a group horse but things haven't really worked out. His run the last day at Yarmouth suggests a step up to the 12f he tackles today at Ascot will suit and I've backed him.

I

Words fail me. I mean, Regal Empire.

My figures for that race:

[TABLE="width: 366"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]Horse
[/TD]
[TD]MON
[/TD]
[TD]Notes
[/TD]
[TD]BO
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Struth
[/TD]
[TD]106
[/TD]
[TD]+p
[/TD]
[TD]20/1
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Like A Tiger
[/TD]
[TD]103
[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]15/2
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Regal Empire
[/TD]
[TD]103
[/TD]
[TD]p
[/TD]
[TD]7/1
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] French Invasion
[/TD]
[TD]102
[/TD]
[TD]? NB?
[/TD]
[TD]25/1
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Golden Move
[/TD]
[TD]100
[/TD]
[TD]p s
[/TD]
[TD]5/1
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Sovereign Spirit
[/TD]
[TD]99
[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]20/1
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Satin
[/TD]
[TD]98
[/TD]
[TD]? p
[/TD]
[TD]11/1
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Rajasthan
[/TD]
[TD]98
[/TD]
[TD]NB
[/TD]
[TD]7/2
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Intinso
[/TD]
[TD]98
[/TD]
[TD]NB
[/TD]
[TD]9/1
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Golden Maverick
[/TD]
[TD]98
[/TD]
[TD]p
[/TD]
[TD]14/1
[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

The BO are the best odds as they were on Thursday afternoon/evening.

My synopsis:
Struth now owes me and I’ll have enough each-way on him to recoup recent losses but the ones I’m most interested in are the Gosdens’. They both come here on the same mark with profiles of serious dark horses and bred to be better at this trip. Intinso is the higher tried, having been only 5/1 for the Feilden on his seasonal debut and the principals that day are now all rated over 100. He was clearly expected to be at that level at that stage of the season. He is preferred at the longer odds.

RE deserved due consideration but I didn't back it. I missed the price on Struth after saying I'd be backing it so was slightly relieved it didn't win. Not too bad a race for the figures.

I'd been reluctantly resigned to opposing Quinault here at the 7/4 the other day but 4/1 is now worth taking, I reckon. The horse has impressed me the last thrice and has looked to have had a lot more in hand than the bare form. I worry about the claimer not being there and Luke Morris taking over but 4/1 is too tempting to let go.

Last edited:
Like A Tiger, trying this far for the first time, found himself boxed in when attempting to pull out for his effort and it may be best to draw a line through this.RP.

Back