What are you backing Today? Part 2

Mister Coffey 110% ready for this. 4/1 EW ****star bet for me.

I think he will win but the 1/4 the odds bet to nothing to be in 1st 2 very hard to resist

Mister Coffey 110% ready for this. 4/1 EW ****star bet for me.

I think he will win but the 1/4 the odds bet to nothing to be in 1st 2 very hard to resist

I agree in principal. If I have a bet this will be the one but the drift is a slight concern. He was 11/4 tops when I looked at the race on Thursday.

Last edited:
I held off and then completely forgot about the race. I'd thought MC would be sent on and put his jumping and experience - he ran a belter for a long way in the Topham - to maximum use and try and expose the novices but he got a conservative ride and it looked to me like they were prepping him for something.

He's in the Becher and Welsh National (not the Hennessy) so maybe one of them, possibly Aintree ahead of a go at the Grand National.

What are we all making of Burdett Road, then? His hurdling needs to improve some, but crying out loud he has got some toe!
Looks the real deal to me, have him as my dark horse in the comp, and have 25s for the Triumph. Jumping as you say is a concern, but his best jump was at the second last when he was travelling at his fastest. Cobden has been extremely bullish about the horse for a while now and isn't normally as open.

Last edited:
Looks the real deal to me, have him as my dark horse in the comp, and have 25s for the Triumph. Jumping as you say is a concern, but his best jump was at the second last when he was travelling at his fastest. Cobden has been extremely bullish about the horse for a while now and isn't normally as open.

Fair play! That could look very good in 4 months' time! Cobden obviously knows the horse well considering where he had him situated throughout the race.

Two tomorrow. Gonna give Ain't that a Shame one final chance (honest) in the Troytown. His peak form is easily good enough to win this and I just hope he needed it at Listowel. Worth taking a chance at double figures.

Also want to take Jonbon on in the Schloer. He's not a two miler imo and Dysart Dynamo and Saint Roi did nowt for the Arkle form earlier today. Editeur du Gite looks a solid back to partial lay proposition - he loves Cheltenham, needed his first run last year and small field races like this where he can go unpestered from the front are his optimal conditions.

Last edited:
I think Jonbon is worth taking on too.

I took 16/1 EDG yesterday as well as Edwardstone which I think is the most likely winner.

(How pathetic will it be, backing two in a four-horse race and losing :lol:)

Jonbon is a ridiculous price and 3/1 Edwatdstone is hard to resist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greatwood - Gin Coco 16/1, 6 places - excellent second to Iliketomoveit in this race last year and he’s only 2lbs higher. It was a very strongly run event which possibly bottomed the winner and Gin Coco himself wasn’t seen again until the County – presumably they felt he needed time to get over the race too – for which he was only 13/2. If the first-time tongue tie helps him, always assuming that the race didn’t bottom him, then he probably shouldn’t be this kind of price. I'm backing three in the race. L’Eau Du Sud (11/2 taken) looks the type the Skeltons would have been fannying about with last season ahead of a season aimed at taking in something like this and the County so he’s of interest too. (I suppose the Schweppes could be a target but they have quite a record in the County.) Onlyamatteroftime (6/1) could be a blot. Only asked to doss about in a couple of weak races, he posted a bumper rating of 118 (RPR) on his seasonal debut before reverting to a dossing role ahead of running out when looking likely to go close in a handicap last time. The form of that is nothing special but he then moved to Willie Mullins who sends him over here for his stable debut. It’s quite unusual for hurdles ratings to be lower than NHF ratings so it’s entirely possible that the horse is a mid-130s hurdler waiting to show it*. I’m using him to cover all my other bets on the day although the drift is a concern. He was 7/2 yesterday.

(*Hence my interest on the other thread.)

I see Gin Coco has been taken out. Probably money saved, then.

I've reinvested part of the money on Afadil 22/1, 5 places. On a nice curve at the end of last season, Pumpkin/Cobden, has had a prep. Might need the better kind of ground he got at Ayr but the yard wouldn't be short of suitable types for this race.

That was quite taking by Jonbon, I have to say.

I thought EDG was never really going with his usual verve but Edwardstone looked primed and was ridden to take advantage of any shortcomings of the favourite but there were none. I'd say he was looked after to a fair degree from the turn for home, the jockey clearly accepting he wasn't going to peg back Jonbon and will improve next time but the winner is also entitled to improve again.

Nube Negra (OR 160) and Edwardstone (OR 167) appear to have run close to that differential so you could argue the winner has run to around 177 with the promise of more to come.

One to take very seriously.

Last edited:
I can't dessie, not until he wins a proper race where his jumping is put under pressure. Edwardstone likely needs further nowadays and is getting long in the tooth. I'm probably a bit biased because it bugs me when the Twitter mongs go OTT. Jonbon will never be a value price in anything and I always want him to lose.

I can't dessie, not until he wins a proper race where his jumping is put under pressure. Edwardstone likely needs further nowadays and is getting long in the tooth. I'm probably a bit biased because it bugs me when the Twitter mongs go OTT. Jonbon will never be a value price in anything and I always want him to lose.

It’s not only Twitter that goes OTT. ITV doing the same

A good performance right enough but Edwardstone will surely go up in trip now as he never looked like landing a blow. EDG looks like he’s not in love with the game anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t know why people can’t be a bit ott, I thought it was a super performance that was deserving of some. Never doubted Jonbon from day one and I won’t start now :)

Last edited:
There may only have been four runners and one of them (EDG) maybe didn't really run his race but everything else about the race looked 'proper' to me.

Did the TV people quote Harry Skelton as saying he'd never gone so fast in his life?

Was it him I just caught leaning over the fence and saying, "He'll win the Champion Chase"? (I was just walking past the telly at that moment. At that moment I thought he was talking about Nube Negra but I think the TV people later gave the impression the remark referred to Jonbon.)

I think it was a very good performance from Jonbon. He looks a much stronger horse this time round. Never been a huge fan of Edwardstone but think he may well need further now.
My old friend Editeur du Gite I think didn’t enjoy being taken on for the lead and possibly didn’t enjoy the ground enormously. He’s a horse that seems happy being able to get out and jump and he was always being pressured a bit too much. He’s not in Jonbons class but I would still think he’d be able to win a couple this year.

Back