What are you backing Today? Part 2

He was 15/2, everything has its price. I know you don't take being wrong very well but it's ok!!

Fair enough, I mean I wouldn't have backed him at 10s but he was 5/1 when I looked through the race yesterday. And tbf, Bryony and Brian Hughes were beyond awful on their mounts. I'm wrong plenty, everyone is, the problem I have is when I'm right I still can't manage to collect.

Will do, once I've finished counting my money [emoji1787] that was a Grade one over 3m and completely irrelevant to today's race.

Nice one - I can dream Monmiral would have walked it, but for that horrible mistake. Dreams all I’ve got today it sems, having a torrid time.

Huge couple of days coming up. I fancy loads on both sides of the Irish Sea.

I've followed Marb in on General Officer in the 1.40 At Musselbrough. Monmiral is not a horse I like and I was looking for a way to oppose him. Not gone full bore here as he's not a tracker but I do have one later on in the card 2.50, Parisencore, in the handicap hurdle. I don't do those type of races and naturally I was hoping he'd stay over fences but he's handy for an ew double.

The two mile handicap chase at Sandown I tackled ante-post as I felt the ground would be against some of those in behind Saint Segal and In Excelsis Deo in the market and sure enough the race has cut up. I took 4s on the former and have topped up at 9/4. IED I put in an ew double with another tracker alert, Path D'aroux, in the 4.10 at Leop. That horse went into my notebook when he finished really well behind Hunter's Yarn last month in a Beginners at Fairyhouse. I don't tend to study Irish handicap chases so his fall before that at Xmas passed me by. Speaking of which Solness is a killer horse for me. I put him on alert when he followed home Saldier in a Beginners at Thurles this time last year after which The Baby Joseph kept running him in modest races where he was odds-on then over the summer/autumn he overfaced him against decent types so I took him off my list and sure enough he pops in at 7/1 in his first go in a handicap early in Dec. Lesson learned. I'll be mad if he wins but 147 is a tough looking mark.

Grozni went into the tracker when he was a good second behind a Pumpkin shorty at Donny in mid Dec. That was over three miles and he ran ok after that stepped down to 2 1/2 at Muss where luckily he was fairly short so I didn't have much on and the return to three miles at Sandown 3.45 tomorrow will suit. This race doesn't look as competitive as you'd think on first glance. It's choc full of boats who ideally need further (Dom of Mary, Certainly Red and Bangers/Cash fall into that category). A couple of layers were lazy pricing this up on decs and left Grozni on his ante-post price (16s). That's been smashed in and I've decided to cover on the fav who looks the only danger to me. Blackjack Magic ran well enough in a much better race than this last time at Ascot and I've put him in an ew double with Thunder Rock who runs Sunday at Musselbrough. That track will suit much much better than Cheltenham did previously and I expect him to bounce back.

Lastly I very rarely bet in bumpers but I thought Redeption Day was worth a go in the last tomorrow. He was second to a Giggi on his first run back for a while but he travelled like the best horse in the race on that occasion and I'm hoping that effort put him right. Not a full bet given my unfamiliarity with the old bumping scene so I've put him in a double (as well as a small single) with an old friend from the flat tracker list last year, Roaring Legend,who runs in the Triumph trial that opens the Muss' card on Sunday. I thought RL ran really well on his first go over hurdles at Kempton a fortnight or so ago. The Pumpkin that beat him that day looks a very nice type and the fat man is not dicking about with him, putting him away maybe for chasing? next year.

Why am I ******* doing this. What is the point. I truly hope jumps racing is gone in a decade.

I’ve had a dire time today, but very well done to those who have been reeling in winners all over the place.

For Sunday:

Small Win and larger each-way on both Gold Dancer (33/1) and Jit Langy (66/1) in the 2m G1 novice hurdle. Not confident enough to put either up in the Longshot thread - more testing a theory.

Not my usual style, but have had a crack at the Graded accy at a shade under 7/1 - Gaelic Warrior, El Fabiolo, State Man and Aurora Vega.

At my local track Musselburgh, I’ve had an ew Yankee with Peking Rose, Heart Wood, Tommy’s Oscar and Duyfken.

The wheels never stay on the wagon long, so mind how you go. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Marble Sands had every chance on form, and clearly just doesnt stay futher than 2m4f. All his best form is over 16-20f.

If General Officer wasn't in there I may have looked closer at Marble Sands. He may have even been named after me! Maybe I should start backing them on names only...

I was expecting the officer to really make his presence felt and if not winning, then go down hard fighting.

He ran like he'd eaten way too much in the run up to the race. He looked a lot leaner in his last run to my naked eye.

I took it as a given he would improve from his last run, where the opposite has happend.

**** happens, it always will, but I would say all that of course.

Last edited:
I'm close to tears here. I had a horror day yesterday and my two bets today were Roaring Legend and Thunder Rock. I know I'm asking for trouble backing Olly Murphy horses but I couldn't resist the latter back right handed. Both held up at the back, both ran on for second. I just needed a bit of even luck today but no. Olly Murphy is the worst trainer over the jumps imo, or at least the most under achieving.

I watch so much racing, I never chase, I put decent (imo) bets on and I just can't get a winner at the moment. Why can't there trainers be more professional and have a plan. Thunder Rock was the best horse, best handicapped on his Carlisle and Ascot runs from the last year, why be re-active. Be positive. I just don't get it.

I don't think that operation is shrewd enough. Apologies for the melodrama, esp in light of what happened to young Keegan. It's not that big a deal is it in the scheme of things, losing a few bets.

I really wouldn't take much heed to anything I back at the moment, but there are two I like tomorrow.

Taunton 2.50 Gifted Angel was frustrating on the flat, but has done much better over hurdles, finishing fifth behind Burdett Road the last day. He's now pitched back to handicap hurdle level, from a mark of 120, so has an excellent chance. I believe he's in receipt of a 4 year old weight allowance for this event too, which can only help.

Wolverhampton 8.00. Dynamic Talent let me down when I put him up on the longshot thread a few weeks ago, when he blew the start again. Since then he won at decent odds, and then ran a respectable fourth, over the mile distance last time. Now given he's won four times over seven furlongs on the all weather the past couple of years, this seven furlong trip is clearly ideal for him, so he goes there tomorrow with a great chance. I do hope he doesn't blow the start, as making all is what this horse obviously wants to do.

I've seen no prices on these yet, but given their claims, I'll probably be backing them win only, unless the bookies are offering each way prices on them, which I doubt.

Last edited:
Back