What are you backing Today? Part 2

Indeed, and of course it's the rollover that makes it such good value

I remember in the late 70's (although it could have been early 1980's) there was a Jackpot at Ascot (jumps)where there was a massive rollover & only 21 runners in total. From memory I only left two horses out but I still got around 8/11 for my stake when the dividend was announced - happy days (or aftertimer alert, you can choose:lol:)

Last edited:
Indeed, and of course it's the rollover that makes it such good value

I remember in the late 70's (although it could have been early 1980's) there was a Jackpot at Ascot (jumps)where there was a massive rollover & only 21 runners in total. From memory I only left two horses out but I still got around 8/11 for my stake when the dividend was announced - happy days (or aftertimer alert, you can choose:lol:)

I didn’t get interested in racing until the 90s but do remember I’d go to the local William Hill with some mates on the Friday after the festival (it was a 3 day meeting then) and have a go at the jackpot which was always rolled over.

Remember leaving the lads to put the money down and going back to work one time. Saw on teletext that we’d had all six winners only for my mates to tell me (when I eventually caught up with them) they’d left out my selection in the last as they thought we had too many lines

No wonder the b******s had hidden from me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn’t get interested in racing until the 90s but do remember I’d go to the local William Hill with some mates on the Friday after the festival (it was a 3 day meeting then) and have a go at the jackpot which was always rolled over.

Remember leaving the lads to put the money down and going back to work one time. Saw on teletext that we’d had all six winners only for my mates to tell me (when I eventually caught up with them) they’d left out my selection in the last as they thought we had too many lines

No wonder the b******s had hidden from me

Hope you found them:mad::lol:

Last edited:

My initial thoughts were that Hero’s would be well held in this race but I forgot that and backed him anyway!

He might have made a race of it but for clouting a couple but it’s another Venetian Williams loser for me

Court in the Act could overturn the odds on shot.....looks too big a difference in the betting oh the race was off lol lucky B

Last edited:
I've two horses I want to mention for Saturday.

Bangor 1:30.

Cheddleton, yes I said it, Cheddleton. A frustrating horse to follow for two years between 2021-2023, where he was often trying to make all, then just not finishing his races off too well. He was raised to a mark of 149 after winning a novice chase at the end of 2020, so his handicap mark may have been too high for too long. I was really impressed with his win the last day over fences, back on a mark in the 130's, beating the in-form horse of Kim Baileys called The Edgar Wallace. Cheddleton was actually held up off the pace, in first time cheekpieces. He finished the race off well. Jennie Candlish now tests the horse in this class two handicap hurdle, with the cheekpieces applied again, and hopefully another hold up ride where Cheddleton can finish well again.

He does have form over hurdles. There was a run at Haydock at the end of 2022, where he finished behind future winners Stainsby Girl and Benson, with L'Eau Du Sud back in fourth, when he was only a four year old. So Cheddleton's back-form has always been half decent, and while he struggled to get his head in front for two years, I fancy he can win this if he's ridden correctly. I respect Jungle Jack's form with the Morebattle winner, Cracking Rhapsody, and I'd have McCains horse favourite myself. He's short enough though, so I'm looking for the each way bet on Cheddleton. Maybe a reverse forecast is in the pipeline. Jungle Jack to try and make all with Cheddleton picking him up near the finish. That's how I see things.

Doncaster 3.35

In the Lincoln, I'm doing Farhh To Shy E/W. I recall mentioning this mare sometime last season. She went on to win at Ascot at big odds next time out, with me kicking myself afterwards. She's 6/19 on turf, which is a good strike rate, just under 33 percent. She travelled so strongly at the aforementioned Ascot, and she really stepped up her overall form last season. Every time I saw her I kept thinking, 'she's a work in progress and will get better with time', which is why I need her on side for Saturday. Regarding the others, I respect The Gatekeeper and he's been steadily shortening all week, though I'm just concerned he may have been over raced, or had an overly hard season last year. He was on the go from March to the end of October so it might have left its mark. I could be completely wrong though.

Last edited:
Haven't really had a look yet head had me thinking this was Saturday so earlier I tuned in to Aussie racing to watch the big meeting...the it hit me this is Friday...old age is taking its toll. to start the day on a winning thread I have dutched
Sunblock and Southbank each tenner wins 8 quid

Back