What are you backing Today? Part 2

Chester 4.30 I'm going to give Princess Shabnam another chance tomorrow. She had good form two years ago, especially when making all and beating Gale Force Maya in a listed race at Pontefract. The last time when Shabnam was fourth, she showed early speed, which was a bit more like her old self, especially given her winning form from 2022 was when making all. I think she's fair odds tomorrow, but with the wide draw, she basically needs to show that early speed she used to have, to have any chance I reckon. The trajectory of her comments in running suggest there's a good chance she will have the required early speed tomorrow. Monsieur Kodi must have a chance aswell, but I slightly prefer Princess Shabnam, especially at double the odds.

Chester 4.30 I'm going to give Princess Shabnam another chance tomorrow. She had good form two years ago, especially when making all and beating Gale Force Maya in a listed race at Pontefract. The last time when Shabnam was fourth, she showed early speed, which was a bit more like her old self, especially given her winning form from 2022 was when making all. I think she's fair odds tomorrow, but with the wide draw, she basically needs to show that early speed she used to have, to have any chance I reckon. The trajectory of her comments in running suggest there's a good chance she will have the required early speed tomorrow. Monsieur Kodi must have a chance aswell, but I slightly prefer Princess Shabnam, especially at double the odds.
Non runner. Probably done me a favour.

Saturday, York 3.35 - Woodhay Wonder 10/1 - I always make a point of looking at this race because it has been very kind to me down the years and I’m hoping Woodhay Wonder will enhance my good fortune in it. I presume Pocklington is favourite because it holds a Commonwealth Cup entry, the only Group race entry for the entire field, but he’s a 66/1 shot for that. A few hold entries for either the Wokingham or Bunbury Cup but would struggle to get in anyway. This is usually a very good race and the principals often go on to much higher marks over the course of the season. Last year, for example, Quinault won this off 85 and finished the season off 102. The runner-up Washington Heights (90) is now off 113 and the third, Mill Stream (98), is now 114. That’s the kind of potential some of these will have and I suspect Woodhay Wonder is the one in this field who might aspire to that kind of level. It isn’t a race in which to get heavily involved with there being so many unexposed types so a modest win bet at 10/1 will be my only interest other than watching and analysing the result.

Non-runner.

I'll have another look at the race.

Non-runner.

I'll have another look at the race.

James's Delight 9/1

After backing WW yesterday I got a tracker alert for JD. It had put up what looked on my figures a really smart time but on further delving I started to doubt them. I completely forgot about it and ignored the alert for its next run as it was a race that didn't interest me. JD disappointed that day but they put it down to the fast ground even though its Newmarket win was on fast. I now wonder if that was to get it off the radar a bit. They've booked the wonderful Ryan Moore for today and if the horse hadn't run last time it would be 7/2 for this. The form of the Newmarket race has been well franked and I'm hoping JD can do what previous winners of the Newmarket race have gone on to do.

3:15 Sandown - Hannon’s Star Style ran exuberantly leading the 1000 Guineas until she got swamped when push came to shove. After couple of futile attempts to keep up she was eased to finish at the back of the field. Before that she had won well at Newbury and is back in this to the 7 furlongs of that race. 6/1 atm

Saturday, Sandown 2.05 - Mascapone 10/1 ew, 6 places (Sky) - showed a lot of promise on his reappearance after two years off and turns up in this £100k race with Spencer booked. I worry that the latter will misjudge it from the back - I always do - but 6 places in a 16-runner field at the joint-best odds looks more than fair. I was expecting Sky to restrict me as they often do so maybe they know something but I'm willing to take the punt.

Good fourth, possibly just beaten by the draw.

I remember backing that Two Tempting end of last season when it was down the field at Kempton. What an improver this year. Proper money spinner.

James's Delight 9/1

After backing WW yesterday I got a tracker alert for JD. It had put up what looked on my figures a really smart time but on further delving I started to doubt them. I completely forgot about it and ignored the alert for its next run as it was a race that didn't interest me. JD disappointed that day but they put it down to the fast ground even though its Newmarket win was on fast. I now wonder if that was to get it off the radar a bit. They've booked the wonderful Ryan Moore for today and if the horse hadn't run last time it would be 7/2 for this. The form of the Newmarket race has been well franked and I'm hoping JD can do what previous winners of the Newmarket race have gone on to do.

I'll take that!

He was beaten by being saddled with the combo of Simcock and Spencer. Was a great ew bet though, no way was he finishing out of the frame.

Not quite good enough on the day.but I followed you in and I always get excited to watch Jamie trying to get it right.a guy on SL put up Classic and he had a bad draw as well.

Just watched the replay. Classic was at least as unlucky as Mascapone. One to watch for next time or when the money matters.

3:15 Sandown - Hannon’s Star Style ran exuberantly leading the 1000 Guineas until she got swamped when push came to shove. After couple of futile attempts to keep up she was eased to finish at the back of the field. Before that she had won well at Newbury and is back in this to the 7 furlongs of that race. 6/1 atm

Star Style, another making her handicap debut, was travelling as well as anything halfway up the straight but found little when let down. She has now been well held in both starts since her impressive Newbury debut and, although she faced a stiff task in the 1,000 Guineas, it's hard to make many excuses for this.RP”

Agree with that - disappointing.

I like Dance Sequence in the French Oaks (3.05C), btn 2l in our version,she sports first-time blinds for the drop in trip,and looks to have a pacemaker to ensure no hanging about.

My pick In 4.10 donny non runner. Going for intrinsic bond 5.45 Thirsk.very well handicapped, and I will follow until it wins.today could be the day,at 8/1 will chance it,with a saver on jar batt.

Back