What are you backing Today? Part 2

La Maquina went into my tracker after his last win on the July course. He ran no sort of race next time at Goodwood but being drawn 20/20 in a 7f handicap at that track is death. He's double figures for a ropey enough race at Lingfield this evening.

Slowly away couldn't make up the deficit like he managed to on the July course. And where's his next race - Lingfield again. Is George Baker an incompetent or do the Racing League numpties just pay trainers to put their horses in races they have no chance of winning. Bribes or whatever.

Last edited:
Slowly away couldn't make up the deficit like he managed to on the July course. And where's his next race - Lingfield again. Is George Baker an incompetent or do the Racing League numpties just pay trainers to put their horses in races they have no chance of winning. Bribes or whatever.
AW lto, turf today - 2 very different tracks.
Just saying, mind.

Fair enough. Imo the horse needs a straight track so he's a bet today. Thanks Reet - will owe you one if he obliges.

Last edited:
Persuasion 2.25G Judged on sectionals, went too quickly, too soon in the Buckingham Palace, sharper track will suit.
ew12/1 B365

Last edited:
Chindit Celebration Mile. I can't have Benbatl for this given his absence from the track and lack of a win over here for what two years. Chindit doesn't really stay the full mile in top company but this is anything but and it's an easier track than Ascot and Deauville - 7/2 is reasonable. Happy Power is also overs at 12s

I've dutched Dakota Gold and Hurricane Ivor in the Beverley Bullet. The former only really gets going this time of year and I've had the latter on my tracker all year. He got outpaced last time at York and I'm hopeful that won't be the case here.

Price has gone gone a bit now but I also like Royal Scimitar in the listed race at Newmarket. Tabdeed is one to take on at short odds and a few of the others look GATG.

Chindit Celebration Mile. I can't have Benbatl for this given his absence from the track and lack of a win over here for what two years. Chindit doesn't really stay the full mile in top company but this is anything but and it's an easier track than Ascot and Deauville - 7/2 is reasonable. Happy Power is also overs at 12s

I've dutched Dakota Gold and Hurricane Ivor in the Beverley Bullet. The former only really gets going this time of year and I've had the latter on my tracker all year. He got outpaced last time at York and I'm hopeful that won't be the case here.

Price has gone gone a bit now but I also like Royal Scimitar in the listed race at Newmarket. Tabdeed is one to take on at short odds and a few of the others look GATG.
I've also bet Huriicane Ivor in the Bullet. Have thought the Celebration Mile has had Mutasaabeq's name on it for a while now, but 11/2's the best price he's been.

Last edited:
I haven't backed Tabdeed yet but I wouldn't necessarily be put off by 2/1. I think that's pretty fair. He's top rated and most of his closest rivals have penalties.

I've also bet Huriicane Ivor in the Bullet. Have thought the Celebration Mile has had Mutasaabeq's name on it for a while now, but 11/2's the best price he's been.

With you with Mutasaabeq and also like Aratus in the 2:25. Jamie Spencer goes there today for a single ride with Clitheroe in the Prestige. Mmmm.

I haven't backed Tabdeed yet but I wouldn't necessarily be put off by 2/1. I think that's pretty fair. He's top rated and most of his closest rivals have penalties.

That rating is nonsense though - it comes from beating a well past it The Tin Man and Shine so Bright (now rated 98) last year.

Mark Johnston brought Bravado all the way down from Yorkshire to run in the 7 furlong Class 2 handicap at Goodwood on Saturday. He ran in the lead - as Johnston runners do! - but wasn’t pressed by Joe Fanning when headed 3 out and finished a respectable 5th at 25/1. Johnston has him out again today in the Stanley Wootton at Epsom down in grade to Class 3 over 7 furlongs with William Buick up. Around 6/1 atm - I’ve nibbled and may add if he shortens.

Last edited:
Mark Johnston brought Bravado all the way down from Yorkshire to run in the 7 furlong Class 2 handicap at Goodwood on Saturday. He ran in the lead - as Johnston runners do! - but wasn’t pressed by Joe Fanning when headed 3 out and finished a respectable 5th at 25/1. Johnston has him out again today in the Stanley Wootton at Epsom down in grade to Class 3 over 7 furlongs with William Buick up. Around 6/1 atm - I’ve nibbled and may add if he shortens.
Like it BJ, have followed you in.

I got a tracker alert through this evening for one tomorrow: Ascot 2.30 Piece Of History.

Normally I have a quick look at these and nine times out of ten leave them alone but I'm curious about this one. It's not far off the top ratings and 14/1 with Bet 365, 12s in the odd obscure place and tens elsewhere but 17/2 and blue with a couple. Hasn't run since Meydan in the spring so might need the run but I've decided to have a stab each-way at the long odds.

I also have a tracker out tomorrow at Ascot. Recovery Run ran a stormer behind Nagano at Goodwood before being overfaced in the Geoffrey Freer and I would be hopeful he's too good for some Johnston horse who was beaten lto at Hamilton and My Frankel who looks a squiggle merchant. 11/4 is acceptable.

Back