What are you backing Today? Part 2

Flying Scotsman 3.30G might be worth a small interest on his 1st flat run in the cheekpieces he found so helpful over hurdles.
14/1 - 4 places, Wm Hill.

Protagonist (2.20 Curr) finished well to beat a decent type over 10f at Fairyhouse recently, and today's trip should be within his compass. The first-time visor and the booking of a top amateur only add to his prospects.
12/1 B365

Arthur/Grey if you are reading in can you empty your inbox a bit please, cheers.

My best bet today is an each way on Global Citizen in the handicap hurdle at Ascot, (2.10).

His form has deteriorated over fences and while he hasn't been quite the same horse the past eighteen months, prior to this he was a very good hurdler, whose best run was most probably in the Unibet Hurdle at Haydock when he beat Silver Streak and Mohaayed off level weights.

He's been lowered 8lb in the handicap from 150 to a fair hurdle mark of 142 on his seasonal reappearance, so I'll roll the dice a bit, just taking a chance his trainer might have the old Global Citizen back in good order.

I'm hoping the old adage, that form is temporary but class in permanent might be pertinent in the case of Global Citizen, as he has definately shown some class over hurdles in career thus far.

Last edited:
I’m all of a dither. Got so many notebook horses today - mostly in opposition to each other - that I’ve thrown in the towel and stood clear except for Boothill who was mighty impressive in his one run last term, price is a bit daft though. In the Charlie Hall I can't stop thinking about Kitty’s Light who is up in class, only 5, massively adrift on ratings and can’t have any sort of realistic chance. He was unlucky not to win the Bet365 Gold Cup at Sandown last term when Enrilo came across him and halted his momentum. Enrilo was disqualified, but Potterman got awarded the race since he had got up past Kitty's Light on the run-in. At Chepstow a couple of weeks ago he lost in a Class 2 by a nose with the rest miles behind. Really interested in watching how he will get on against the big boys and probably won’t be able to resist a penny or two.

Last edited:
Goodness. Do hope Shan Blue is ok - seemed it walking back - and maybe we’ve seen the last of Cyrname. Pleased with KL, but the other two were a class apart. As for Boothill, expect he’ll be off chasing now which is where he belongs (I hope).

Last edited:
Well I've backed Moonlighter at 17/2 mainly on the basis that's too big compared to Greaneteen considering he's 11lb better off for a neck beating with the Nicholls top weight on last years running.

Hitman could have got in leniently of course but 17/2 is worth a small punt.

I won't starve if the drift is indicative of a poor display Grass :). My day started badly anyway (at 4:00 AM) with 28/1 about Delphi e/w 6 places when he of course finished 7th :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Good shout Barjon. Moonlighter clearly needs to go left handed now and hard to know what to make of Hitman, although even Kauto got beat in this first time up off a lesser rating that Hitman.

Marvelleous win for Petrol Head at Fairyhouse today. 11 duck eggs, all but one of them in double figure placings, transferred to Ronan McNally, wins secondtime out in first handicap hurdle. Some trainers are blessed with their ability to improve moderate horses.

Champion Bumper third Elle Est Belle has opened up at 6/4 for the 14.00 at Newbury on Thursday (Hills)

Up against Alan Kings - Nina the Terrier and Hendos - Ahorsewithnoname.

You’d have to be very disappointed if she didn’t win this, and duly took the 6/4. Ive got her going off odds against personally if fit, will watch the market.

Good call

Some Chaos could be declared for the Badger Ales tomorrow. He would be running off a slightly higher hark than when fifth in the same event last year, but that last performance after the wind op first time out this season was excellent.

Maybe he can go closer at Wincanton this Saturday than this time last season. Last season he was held up, but based on the last day I also wonder if they'll try to make the running this season. Kitty's Light was third last year. It seemed a decent renewal at the time with the eventual Whitbread winner Potterman in second.

Last edited:
Champion Bumper third Elle Est Belle has opened up at 6/4 for the 14.00 at Newbury on Thursday (Hills)

Up against Alan Kings - Nina the Terrier and Hendos - Ahorsewithnoname.

You’d have to be very disappointed if she didn’t win this, and duly took the 6/4. Ive got her going off odds against personally if fit, will watch the market.

Im having an absolutely brutal week

Back