What are you backing Today? Part 2

Sammarive was very impressive at Sandown, is still unexposed as a hurdler, and I’m not entirely convinced an 11lb rise will stop him today. Odds of 8/1 enough to tempt me into a chunky enough bet.

I hope you’re right as the day has been pretty horrendous for me so far but the drift is a worry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope you’re right as the day has been pretty horrendous for me so far but the drift is a worry

Same result as Il Ridoto the other week. Must stop getting sucked in by these PFN 4yo who get a big weights hike

The big race tomorrow:

ASC 3.35
[TABLE="width: 438"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]Horse[/TD]
[TD]OR[/TD]
[TD]MON
167[/TD]
[TD]Notes[/TD]
[TD]RPR[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Metier[/TD]
[TD]142 [/TD]
[TD]172[/TD]
[TD]? +p nov[/TD]
[TD]163 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Tritonic[/TD]
[TD]141 [/TD]
[TD]171[/TD]
[TD]? p[/TD]
[TD]156 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Samarrive[/TD]
[TD]141 [/TD]
[TD]168[/TD]
[TD]+p[/TD]
[TD]157 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Benson[/TD]
[TD]133 [/TD]
[TD]168[/TD]
[TD]+
[++][/TD]
[TD]161 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Mack The Man[/TD]
[TD]130 [/TD]
[TD]168[/TD]
[TD]p?[/TD]
[TD]153 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Goshen[/TD]
[TD]153 [/TD]
[TD]167[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]167 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Drop The Anchor[/TD]
[TD]146 [/TD]
[TD]167[/TD]
[TD]p[/TD]
[TD]156 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Llandinabo Lad[/TD]
[TD]140 [/TD]
[TD]167[/TD]
[TD]?[/TD]
[TD]159 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] No Ordinary Joe[/TD]
[TD]136 [/TD]
[TD]167[/TD]
[TD]+p nov[/TD]
[TD]157 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Global Citizen[/TD]
[TD]136 [/TD]
[TD]165[/TD]
[TD]?
{174}[/TD]
[TD]155 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Garry Clermont[/TD]
[TD]142 [/TD]
[TD]163[/TD]
[TD]p[/TD]
[TD]155 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Onemorefortheroad[/TD]
[TD]136 [/TD]
[TD]162[/TD]
[TD]p[/TD]
[TD]154 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] West Cork[/TD]
[TD]141 [/TD]
[TD]161[/TD]
[TD]+p[/TD]
[TD]156 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Luttrell Lad[/TD]
[TD]135 [/TD]
[TD]160[/TD]
[TD]nov[/TD]
[TD]155 [/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

I took 20/1 Metier (22/1) during the week and can only cross my fingers and hope for the best. I thought the jockey was very quick to pull on the handbrake last time. Tritonic (14/1) was only 4/1 for a hot Triumph Hurdle and reportedly found the ground too soft. He might also prefer this track. I’m going high with the race won last time by Samarrive (6/1) and he should be in the shake-up. I’ve always had a big figure for Benson (14/1) and I’ve no doubt he’s a plot horse. The first-time visor suggests they might mean business here. Mac The Man (33/1) has had a couple of disappointing seasons but was right back to his best last time, suggesting he might be able to pick up on his old improvement curve. His price is very generous and I’ll definitely have something on. The only other really interesting one, for me, is No Ordinary Joe (9/2f), who pulled hard for a long way yet was still in front approaching the last in the Greatwood, another hot form race. He’s still a novice and another big step forward is entirely possible. It’s a smashing race, as befits the prizemoney, and I wouldn’t put anyone off anything.

I went in again this morning on Metier so got the BOG there too. Last time's losses recouped with considerable interest. Also got 14/1 Tritonic so chuffed with that too.

Ended up a decent enough day.

Same result as Il Ridoto the other week. Must stop getting sucked in by these PFN 4yo who get a big weights hike

The yard's recent record turning out anything quickly is horrific. Very odd, as they used to be masters of it.

I went in again this morning on Metier so got the BOG there too. Last time's losses recouped with considerable interest. Also got 14/1 Tritonic so chuffed with that too.

Ended up a decent enough day.

Is Metier a horse to watch next time out now Maurice?

Team Harry Fry must be delighted he came fourth...out ran the odds for sure...

My other one Phoenix Way ran a stormer aswell.

I tryed to place my patent bet online earlier before racing but my internet went down..so i placed an each way patent in a shop...so effectively i have backed a 2nd, 4th and 5th, knowing that if I could have placed the bet online I would have probably landed an each way treble, but because I placed the bet in a shop i will only have 1 placer, (Phoenix Way)!

If I ran the world all online bookmakers would have to offer the same each way terms in a shop as they do online.

Same firms offering different terms for shops and online doesnt't seem right to me.

Consistency is needed.

Last edited:
Fry boy did ok today with Phoenix and Metier, but those Pumpkin horses in these colours - yer Diego/Dolos/Pic Dorhy/Cyrname and this one today - they are all soft as sh1te

Last edited:
Is Metier a horse to watch next time out now Maurice?

Team Harry Fry must be delighted he came fourth...out ran the odds for sure...

I'm not sure I trust Metier but it's also possible the Betfair Hurdle is the plan all along. He'll drop another 2lbs for this effort, which will help, but Fry doesn't strike me as a long-term plotter.

Yeah well considering he was pulled up the last day only 2 weeks ago it was an excellent effort from Metier.

As with Fry's other runner Phoenix Way he travelled particulary well: Both looked like horses with high cruising speeds.

Although on raw logic at the business end of each race both horses looked to be outstayed.

Does that mean I shouldn't back them again at those distances?

Metier was running over the minimum over hurdles while a furlong shorter for Phoenix Way based on todays effort would seem perfect. Where is there a good 2M7F chase though?

The main eyecatching thing was how both cruised throughout the race. That would indicate to me they should hold their own in similiar races in the near future.

I suppose what was once called the Racing Post Handicap Chase at Kempton run over 3M in February could be the right race for Phoenix Way.

He might find more on softer going too.

The same goes for Metier, whose best form is on soft or heavy.

Last edited:
I’ve got a Noted in Running horse in this - Garry Clermont who looked a winner last time before losing momentum at the last and throwing it away. He’s up 5lbs for that, though. 14/1 and he’s got his work cut out, but you never know with Jonjo. More realistically, I think the favourite, No Ordinary Joe is a good one and it it wasn’t for Jonbon and Constitution Hill he’d be Henderson’s front runner. Alan King thinks he’s got Tritonic sharpened up after the Greatwood (I was a disappointed with him there, but King thought it ok) so he’s a player I think. And there’s always Goshen who could blow them all apart if Moore’s got him back to anything approaching his novice runs - probably a faint hope, though.

Not sure what happened to No Ordinary Joe. Raced keenly was the excuse. Still bang there approaching second last Nico suddenly stopped riding - presumably because he felt him dead and gone - after which he went out like a light and was pulled up. Got to put a squiggle against his name unless there’s a good answer.

Elham Valley 2.00L
Won a decent Sandown Novice on hvy last backend, then progressed to a close 3rd in the Fred Winter on ground not nearly as soft.
A combination of flat runs and hurdles on faster ground sees hin here off a 4lb lower mark than his Festival run, and 2 runs since a 6 month will hopefully have him ready for this.
6/1 B365.

I tryed to place my patent bet online earlier before racing but my internet went down..so i placed an each way patent in a shop...so effectively i have backed a 2nd, 4th and 5th, knowing that if I could have placed the bet online I would have probably landed an each way treble, but because I placed the bet in a shop i will only have 1 placer, (Phoenix Way)!

If I ran the world all online bookmakers would have to offer the same each way terms in a shop as they do online.

I collected this morning my 2 quid each way patent which cost 28 quid was expecting a fiver back but actually got 250 quid so fair play to Ladbrokes who must have been paying on the extra places in shops on the big races on Saturday.

Yeah 2 quid each way patent on Fuji Flight, Metier and Phoenix Way paid 250 quid. Delighted.

Last edited:
Some strange bets been placed in thenext at Mussleburugh. Load of money has been matched on Brian Hughs's mount Somewhat Cloudy but matched at prices from 1/1 to 4/1 now settling at 3/1.

Easterbys has been easy to back at 7/4 out to 3/1

Seems like the real money is for Three Castles who was 10/1 now 7/2

All betfair prices.

Having a bet on Three Castles but missed the gamble so just a few quid for an interest'

Plus a RFC on Three castles and Enlighten

I collected this morning my 2 quid each way patent which cost 28 quid was expecting a fiver back but actually got 250 quid so fair play to Ladbrokes who must have been paying on the extra places in shops on the big races on Saturday.

Yeah 2 quid each way patent on Fuji Flight, Metier and Phoenix Way paid 250 quid. Delighted.

Nice 1 Marb..nothing to beat a nice surprise

Some strange bets been placed in thenext at Mussleburugh. Load of money has been matched on Brian Hughs's mount Somewhat Cloudy but matched at prices from 1/1 to 4/1 now settling at 3/1.

Easterbys has been easy to back at 7/4 out to 3/1

Seems like the real money is for Three Castles who was 10/1 now 7/2

All betfair prices.

Having a bet on Three Castles but missed the gamble so just a few quid for an interest'

Plus a RFC on Three castles and Enlighten

Pizzed up at 4/1 and forecast paid 12.76p

Nice 1 Marb..nothing to beat a nice surprise

Yeah it was a nice suprise.

I doubled the 250 in a betting shop messing about with doing forecasts on dog racing so i doubled the 250 to 500.

Then decided I wouldn't leave until i won 1K.

My phone battery died I really wish I had seen your post about the well gambled winner as I then proceeded to lose the 500.

A gamblers tale eh...start again on Boxing Day..

Last edited:
I could tell you how I turned a 250k win into a 12k win but not without mentioning a jockeys name which is taboo...we all furk up at one time or another but always come back for more... keep your chin up mate one day you'll get it right or die trying...best days are like one day a on course bookie who I had taken a large amount of cash from angrily said to my friend that one day I would end up skint and my friend said to him...maybe but he'll scare the furking sh*t out of you c,xnts before he does...:lol:

Last edited:
More than a few have leapt on to Sure Touch who was subject to a so called quetionable ride at Southwell when beaten by Dan Skelton's Greatest Touch.
I felt the pundits read too much into it and he was simply beaten by a better horse on the day.

The horse certainly did enough wrong to oppose him today.

Brian Hughes takes the ride on Nicky Richards second favourite Parisenscore whos first attempt over hurdles at Kelso was an excellent effort

He then went to Newcastle where disappointed finishing 2nd

In an atrocious snow storm he went from going well to coming under pressure

When they came out of the back straight he clearly wasn't enjoying things but still ran on strongly to take second.

So far Xmas has been well and truly paid for

now it's lets get the hogmanay dosh in:)

With those 2 runs under his belt and Hughes in the saddle confidence is pretty high so I am having a 2** bet on Parisencore today.

Last edited:
Back