What are you backing Today? Part 2

Scene Not Heard was racing off 119 when winning a cart horse race at Catterick.

The H'capper saw it fit to put him up 10lbs despite the fact he was getting weight from the 2nd who was racing off 123.

Those that finished 2nd to him were beaten 16 lengths and 8 lengths since

Minella Trump was racing off 140 when winning by 20 lengths last time and the h'capper put him up Zero.

7 chases on the trot the Trump has won and it'll take a much better pony to stop his run than those he faces today IMO

3* bet have backed him at 2.1 2.08.2.06 and 2.04 so far.

Went close yeterday with Hughes I expect to make up for that and then some today.

Was 2.00 then some mad Scotsman got stuck in and it ended on 1.79 in less than 2 minutes :lol:

Good luck with the Super Heinz if that one had lost I would have had to dig into the Xmas winnings sell the Turkey and have Heinz Baked beans for dinner:lol:

Boxing Day

Wincanton 3.13

Alan King drops The Unit in grade here to class four level so he carries top weight, but this doesn't mean he is not well handicapped. The Unit won a couple of novice chases in 2018 and was then rated 140 or so over fences.

He has been hit and miss since then but he did put in an excellent chase run when third behind Espoir De Teillee at Warwick last February and that winner has franked the form plenty since.

While Espoir De Teillee is now a much more progressive horse than the 10, going on 11 year old The Unit, I think that form at least shows The Unit can win a couple class four or three races of his reduced mark now if Alan King has him right.

The Unit is now running off a mark of 121 which is well below the mark of his best chase runs. A decent third last time signalled a return to form and I reckon he can win this race.

Last edited:
Boxing Day

Market Rasen 2.15

The Lincolnshire National has a relatively small field where Sidi Ismeal might be popular to score again on only his second start over fences, although he is stepping up in class and three furlongs in trip, with a nine pound higher mark in the handicap too.

Cash To Ash has run well the last couple of times but while he may still be fairly handicapped, I feel there might be one who is very well handicapped and so Cash To Ash might have to settle for second again in a race like this.

Who's In The Box won this race last year so he is an obvious contender, but I am not sure how deep this race was last year. I think it is a higher calibre event this time around so I will be against Who's In The Box after he was pulled up the last day.

A horse who has only been seen over fences five times in this country since arriving from France is Eclair Mag and his first start in a handicap chase when winning at odds of 80/1 and beating future winner Mac Tottie, (currently rated 142), was a very compelling piece of form.

As we know Mac Tottie has won a big chase at Aintree since then, the Grand Sefton chase, and so just on that form Eclair Mag is still a well treated horse off 125 for a race like this.

I am forgiving him the last couple of efforts so at likely decent odds I am giving him another chance as I reckon he's still a potentially very good staying chaser on what he has done.

Huntington 1.47

The final horse for my patent doesn't need too much reasoning as for all intents and purposes Get Prepared landed a nice gamble a little while ago on his first start in a handicap hurdle. He didn't win by a great amount but has only been raised 4lb in the handicap and he is likely to start a warm order to win again in this grade against this type of opposition. He is the third horse for the win patent.

I am happy to just watch Kempton I can't see enough of an angle to want to back anything.

Good luck all for Boxing Day.

Last edited:
Have a peaceful Christmas everyone...hope to help pay towards the expenses with this exciting Irish Novice hurdler on Monday!

1.45 Leopardstown-Largy Debut ...currently 9-4

Not so Sleepy seems to run a huge race one day but always disppoints the next time out
he went off at 125/1 for the Champion Hurdle but then makes up a 5 length defecit with my original choice Epetante.

It is perfectly possible she has gone backwards sonce Kempton last year.

Soaring Glory was feeling the affects of a hard race first time out at Ascot when he ran flat at Newbury.

Said to be back to his best and catching pigeons at home 8/1 EW Soaring Glory on the machine looks like a decent bet to cause an upset

Boxing Day

Market Rasen 2.15

The Lincolnshire National has a relatively small field where Sidi Ismeal might be popular to score again on only his second start over fences, although he is stepping up in class and three furlongs in trip, with a nine pound higher mark in the handicap too.

Cash To Ash has run well the last couple of times but while he may still be fairly handicapped, I feel there might be one who is very well handicapped and so Cash To Ash might have to settle for second again in a race like this.

Who's In The Box won this race last year so he is an obvious contender, but I am not sure how deep this race was last year. I think it is a higher calibre event this time around so I will be against Who's In The Box after he was pulled up the last day.

A horse who has only been seen over fences five times in this country since arriving from France is Eclair Mag and his first start in a handicap chase when winning at odds of 80/1 and beating future winner Mac Tottie, (currently rated 142), was a very compelling piece of form.

As we know Mac Tottie has won a big chase at Aintree since then, the Grand Sefton chase, and so just on that form Eclair Mag is still a well treated horse off 125 for a race like this.

I am forgiving him the last couple of efforts so at likely decent odds I am giving him another chance as I reckon he's still a potentially very good staying chaser on what he has done.

Huntington 1.47

The final horse for my patent doesn't need too much reasoning as for all intents and purposes Get Prepared landed a nice gamble a little while ago on his first start in a handicap hurdle. He didn't win by a great amount but has only been raised 4lb in the handicap and he is likely to start a warm order to win again in this grade against this type of opposition. He is the third horse for the win patent.

I am happy to just watch Kempton I can't see enough of an angle to want to back anything.

Good luck all for Boxing Day.

A bit worried about the lack of apparant support for Get Prepared..as big as 8/1 now for a last time out winner?

Eclair Mag very well backed and The Unit starting to shorten.

I think I might do another patent with these two and Chantry House in the KG just to give myself a different option.

Last edited:
Lake View Lad 12/1, 4pl, in the Rowland Meyrick at Wetherby.

He was a good winner of this race the year last before off 147 (149 here) and subsequently improved again to be a close third in the Ultima off 155. Last December he beat Santini, Native River and Frodon in the Many Clouds in receipt of just 6lbs, always travelling best on the day. The chances are none of them ran their race for whatever reason but it does read well! He was engaged in the Welsh National until the final declaration stage but goes for this instead. He carries the first colours with Hennessy winner Cloudy Glen in the green cap. He’ll do for me.

Lovely ride there from Danny Mullins, nice how he was just keeping his powder dry on the winner, as they were coming round the final bend, whilst Cobdon & Brogan were battling from a long way out.

Sometimes you bet something you think is likely to lose when the odds beat the probability and Greaneteen 11/4 is a bet.

I see my namesake Mister Marbles goes in the lucky last at Kempton tomorrow.

Evas Oskar looks the horse for me in the Welsh National. An improver this season with a good course record and staying on the last two times when finishing second.

A few pounds out of the handicap but that doesn't bother me and 33s looks a huge price if this horse continues its progression and can stay the trip. This race has been kind to me once or twice so see what happens tomorrow.

I had an awful one today, (probably not alone). My nap fell at Market Rasen and it had been backed from 25s into 9/4. Thankfully it wasn't all my money. :)

Last edited:
I like the look of FOR5ESQUE 8/1 310k
And POTTERS CORNER 16/1 in the WN.out of the weights .5lbs after claim but I would think he would go up that amount for his last run.

Back