What are you backing Today? Part 2

Friday, Sandown Mile - Mutasaabeq 7/2 - Alcohol Free is odds-on but I reckon this will be a prep for the Lockinge, at least I'm pretty much banking on it! If I'm right about that then 7/2 is huge about Mutasaabeq who has already had a run this year and is in form. I'm in a wee bit heavily for me for the time of season.

Kinda with you. Not sure about the prep thing, Balding won this with Beat the Bank although he wasn't an established Group 1 horse. I think I'd want to fade AF on principle - still not convinced she's that good honestly, might have lucked into a really bad year.

He’s also entered in the King Richard III Stakes (Listed Race) over 7fur at Leicester the next day. That was his target according to Hills after his last run.

Quiet day (most midweek non-televised meetings are dead to me) but I had a look to see what was in the trials races etc. Then realised it was City & Sub/Great Met day too so just took Hollie Doyle in an ew double to win both.

Brian Hughes had the choice betweeen the 2 fav in the next
and has gone with Costly Diamond.

That has got to be a huge tip in itself Costly Diamond 3star***bet 11/4

Costly right enough..........Hughes's mount Spiritofthenorth looks way underpriced to me

I am laying him to be out of the first 2 to get my money back

1.8 is far too short IMO

Quiet day (most midweek non-televised meetings are dead to me) but I had a look to see what was in the trials races etc. Then realised it was City & Sub/Great Met day too so just took Hollie Doyle in an ew double to win both.

Two utterly crap performances that made HD look like an amateur claimer but I have to say Pat Cosgrave was brilliant on Going Gone in the Great Met.

Haunted Dream 4.15L
Won't seem much of a price, but I believe he should be a piece shorter.
9/4 B365.

Aye, won easily enough last time, up 6lb for it which is up 16lb since late win last term. Bit concerned with overnight slight drift - 5/2 now - so holding off to see how things develop.

Last edited:
Aye, won easily enough last time, up 6lb for it which is up 16lb since late win last term. Bit concerned with overnight slight drift - 5/2 now - so holding off to see how things develop.
Weight's not a worry, around Lingfield AW. Reckon he should be evens, but the market' not likely to reflect that. The race will hopefully show who's right.

Weight's not a worry, around Lingfield AW. Reckon he should be evens, but the market' not likely to reflect that. The race will hopefully show who's right.

Aye, hardened up nicely - 15/8 as I type - so in at 2/1.

Ps: just seen he’s napped in RP, so hardening maybe not as significant as I assumed.

Last edited:
To those refusing to admit Brian Hughes is a worthy champion..up yours:lol:

Im going all out on Nicky Richards's Famous Bridge to give him his 200th winner of the season.

I am haveing a 5star*****bet Famous Bridge. I've been backing him on the machine from 4.3 to 3.8 he's now gone 3.4

Haven't looked at form only reason for backing him is because of the Hughes Richards combination so fingers crosses.

It's Thai new year so I am entitled to at least one crazy bet:lol:

Despite this Approaching the ½ furlong marker on the first circuit, the winner, HAUNTED DREAM (IRE), was running freely when it ran onto and clipped the heels of AUNTIE MARGARET (FR), placed third, but after viewing a recording of the incident, it was found that no riding offence was involved and that it had not improved the placing of HAUNTED DREAM (IRE). as well as all the other wrongs, he was a easy winner. Can go again.

Ana Gold 2.30B was unlucky in running behind 2 good horses in a much better race than this, last backend.
Runs off the same mark here, and looks the business,imo.
9/2 888bet.

Blue Trail 1.50S 3/1 best.
Won't seem much of a price, but that doesn't nearly do him justice, imo.
Improving gelding which needs a good pace at this trip (has Dante entry) but didn't get one lto, in a slowly run Chelmsford contest.
Plenty of pace tomorrow, and 3/1 will look silly when he sluices home.

Blue Trail 1.50S 3/1 best.
Won't seem much of a price, but that doesn't nearly do him justice, imo.
Improving gelding which needs a good pace at this trip (has Dante entry) but didn't get one lto, in a slowly run Chelmsford contest.
Plenty of pace tomorrow, and 3/1 will look silly when he sluices home.

I was pretty keen on Mutasaabeq Sandown 3pm, but don’t like the drift so it’s a reduced bet at 9/2 fully covered by Alcohol Free who is miles in front on ratings. Gosden’s Sunray Major is strong in the market, so may go for double cover in the end.

Fair but he owed his position in that market to his win in a big field handicap on the same track a fortnight before. This is a different test and I'm always wary of that big field handicap form transferring to small field group races.

That went well :( thought about making it back up to a full bet, but glad I didn’t now. Can’t say I was impressed with the ride.

Last edited:
Back