What are you backing Today? Part 2

Nothing today. I was keen on Gracelands Girl 8:00 Ripon until I saw the terrible draw. If she can get anywhere near running a decent race from there that’d be a big plus for next time.

Nothing today. I was keen on Gracelands Girl 8:00 Ripon until I saw the terrible draw. If she can get anywhere near running a decent race from there that’d be a big plus for next time.

It was a fine run by GG to finish second @10/1 - some money came for her as she’d been 20/1 earlier today. She worked hard to get to the head of things before the bend from that horrible outside draw and it must have taken it out of her, although it was some finish by the winner. Bright future.

Last edited:
Thursday, Sandown 6.50 - Euchen Glen 14/1 - I was half-hoping this might qualify for the longshot thread but 14s is the best price going for now. I've watched a few Goldie horses run poorly lately so I'm curious that he's sending the oul' fella all the way down to Sandown for this on the back of a modest reappearance. However, last year he sent the horse down here twice, the first time for the Brigadier Gerard on this card - off two poor runs - and later for a Listed race. He won both. In fact, last year Goldie had three winners from four runners at Sandown so I'm hoping he's sending this one down with a view to improving on that record. The horse is top rated on RPRs as well as my own ratings and his career top OR (116) is the highest in the field. If he’s anywhere near his best he’s an each-way steal. I’m just hoping it isn’t a big ‘if’.

Still available at 14/1 with Bet365 but I've gone in again each-way to 4 places with Sky at 11/1.

Boat races I normally ignore but the market for this is interesting. They have the 2nd and 3rd from the Sagaro heading it but that looked a poor renewal to me. Wordsworth was beaten in a listed race at the weekend and both Enemy and Quickthorn are surely vulnerable to classier types who may have stamina question marks. I don't think Euchen Glen is good enough at his age and Thunderous is out on trainer/price grounds so I may just give John Leeper a chance. He's bred to enjoy a boat trip and I did like the way he hit the line in the Ormonde.

These are some of the best races to bet in. I think your summary is very good. I would just say the drop in trip probably was against Wordsworth at the Curragh. I've bet John Leeper. If you watch back Chester he got squeezed on the bend just at the wrong time and Moore wasn't hard on him. The step up in trip and possibly making the running make him very interesting.

Thursday, Sandown 6.50 - Euchen Glen 14/1 - I was half-hoping this might qualify for the longshot thread but 14s is the best price going for now. I've watched a few Goldie horses run poorly lately so I'm curious that he's sending the oul' fella all the way down to Sandown for this on the back of a modest reappearance. However, last year he sent the horse down here twice, the first time for the Brigadier Gerard on this card - off two poor runs - and later for a Listed race. He won both. In fact, last year Goldie had three winners from four runners at Sandown so I'm hoping he's sending this one down with a view to improving on that record. The horse is top rated on RPRs as well as my own ratings and his career top OR (116) is the highest in the field. If he’s anywhere near his best he’s an each-way steal. I’m just hoping it isn’t a big ‘if’.

Shocker of a ride. I presume it was to orders but once the pace picked up after six furlongs the backmarkers were never going to get near the leaders.

Not the only poor ride in the race either.

I think the unraced favourite has got to be pretty hot to see off Carmela 1:45 Carlisle who showed up pretty well - 5/15 - in a Class 1 Listed at York following a promising win at Yarmouth. 9/4 last night she’s 13/8 now and I’ve had a bit more.

I think the unraced favourite has got to be pretty hot to see off Carmela 1:45 Carlisle who showed up pretty well - 5/15 - in a Class 1 Listed at York following a promising win at Yarmouth. 9/4 last night she’s 13/8 now and I’ve had a bit more.

Not suggesting for one minute that this won't go the obvious way, but watch out for the 75,000 GNS Bethell horse. If not this time, then next.

Saturday, Haydock 1.45 - Clarendon House 6/1 - You can get 13/2 with one bookie but Hills are going four places and will boost the price to 13/2 (near as dammit) anyway. It strikes me as a very low-risk each-way punt. Dragon Symbol (9/4) has a huge advantage on RPRs and if he could be guaranteed to return to form he should be odds on. However, there wasn’t much in the way of promise in that recent run and I’m reluctant to go in at short odds.

Nice start to the day...... well done BJ

Nice start to the day...... well done BJ

Plenty of good racing today but not a lot of betting material for me.

Hay 1.45 Clarendon House
Hay 2.20 Forza Orta
Hay 3.30 Kinross

(Plus the longshot.)

Back