What are you backing Today? Part 2

Tomorrow, Goodwood 2.15 - Majestic Dawn 9/2 - clear top rated on ORs, RPRs and my own figures. It's also had a run and if this is a serious target (which it should be), it's a very minimal risk each-way. Bet365 offer the BOG but they're only going three places. Hills and Sky are going four places, which makes the price huge for a nine-runner race. Hills are boosting it to nearer 5/1 as well. As I say, if this is trying there should be more boots filled than behind the sheds at a Dundee secondary school.

:cool:

Good shout, DO.

West End Charmer an eyecatcher first time up after the gelding operation. He has gone straight in my tracker.

Couple of fun ew today

Gnat Alley 4:35 York - won last time despite being stopped in run 12/1 to 6 places
Annandale 3:30 York - 17/2. To 7 places

Got 10s about Al Ameen when prices came out for the 4.35 at York yesterday. He went into the tracker after running on well from a poor position at Ascot last time. Some of his aw form suggests he's reasonably well handicapped.

I want to be against Lord North at the Curragh. This is a really stiff extended 10 ( a fair bit stiffer than the similar trip of the Juddmonte) and on price grounds I've gone with Alenquer rather than State of Rest.

Couple of fun ew today

Gnat Alley 4:35 York - won last time despite being stopped in run 12/1 to 6 places
Annandale 3:30 York - 17/2. To 7 places

Well, that wasn’t much fun. This Sunday Series ought to carry a health warning.

GA never featured
A clipped heels and stumbled and that finished him.

Last edited:
Lunacy in the face of all evidence, maybe. But Neil King persists with Jan Maat. I was going to leave it alone and watch but the 20s on Betfair seems just about reasonable.

I will err on the side of King keeping JM going because he thinks there's a race or two left. It's a long way down from a Galway Grade 3 to a Huntingdon Class 4, but JM is still 'only' 9 and went from Henry de Bromhead to the present owners for 22 grand (hence suggesting there wasn't any physical issue deemed to be unfixable, at least).

If he leads all the way and wins 20 lengths, it will be easy to say 'whoops, that was an unexpected return to form!'.

Thursday, Sandown 6.50 - Euchen Glen 14/1 - I was half-hoping this might qualify for the longshot thread but 14s is the best price going for now. I've watched a few Goldie horses run poorly lately so I'm curious that he's sending the oul' fella all the way down to Sandown for this on the back of a modest reappearance. However, last year he sent the horse down here twice, the first time for the Brigadier Gerard on this card - off two poor runs - and later for a Listed race. He won both. In fact, last year Goldie had three winners from four runners at Sandown so I'm hoping he's sending this one down with a view to improving on that record. The horse is top rated on RPRs as well as my own ratings and his career top OR (116) is the highest in the field. If he’s anywhere near his best he’s an each-way steal. I’m just hoping it isn’t a big ‘if’.

Thursday, Sandown 6.50 - Euchen Glen 14/1 - I was half-hoping this might qualify for the longshot thread but 14s is the best price going for now. I've watched a few Goldie horses run poorly lately so I'm curious that he's sending the oul' fella all the way down to Sandown for this on the back of a modest reappearance. However, last year he sent the horse down here twice, the first time for the Brigadier Gerard on this card - off two poor runs - and later for a Listed race. He won both. In fact, last year Goldie had three winners from four runners at Sandown so I'm hoping he's sending this one down with a view to improving on that record. The horse is top rated on RPRs as well as my own ratings and his career top OR (116) is the highest in the field. If he’s anywhere near his best he’s an each-way steal. I’m just hoping it isn’t a big ‘if’.

Boat races I normally ignore but the market for this is interesting. They have the 2nd and 3rd from the Sagaro heading it but that looked a poor renewal to me. Wordsworth was beaten in a listed race at the weekend and both Enemy and Quickthorn are surely vulnerable to classier types who may have stamina question marks. I don't think Euchen Glen is good enough at his age and Thunderous is out on trainer/price grounds so I may just give John Leeper a chance. He's bred to enjoy a boat trip and I did like the way he hit the line in the Ormonde.

Back