What are you backing Today? Part 2

Michael Dod seem to have found the perfectect opportunity for Azure Blue 5/2 at Hamilton

He is said to have improved over the winter so fingers crossed they got that right

He is a she ..My bad but she won so easily even with the expected penalty she could run up a sequence.

Newmarket 3.00 - Wizard D'amour like Harry Three is drawn well here and as a front runner you can see him bagging the rail and being hard to beat. A better track position and a little weight pull should see him reverse with Shine so Bright.

I'm giving this one another chance today in the 4.05 at York. He was a bit below form in the second of his Newmarket defeats to Shine So Bright but he's a pace horse and York suits that style more than the Rowley Mile.

I'm also giving Pub Crawl another chance at Sandown. I punted him last time at Redcar but he was poorly away and never travelled. He has a visor on today and I'm hoping that sharpens him up - if he returns to the form he showed when he went into my tracker at Epsom he should be competitive (that Epsom run was franked nicely by Swilcan Bridge on Derby day.)

I'm giving this one another chance today in the 4.05 at York. He was a bit below form in the second of his Newmarket defeats to Shine So Bright but he's a pace horse and York suits that style more than the Rowley Mile.

I haven't looked at today's racing at all but I'll probably follow you in. I think Newmarket (when I backed it, natch) just came a bit soon after the previous run. Sickness insurance anyway.

Tomorrow, York 3.40 - Atomic Lady 14/1 - Easterby has the best recent record in the race and the main stable jockey David Allan rides the seasonal debutant Atomic Lady, which suggests they’ve wanted to preserve a winnable mark. Educated guesswork as much as anything else, to be honest.

Tomorrow, Chester 3.20 - Outgate 7/1 (boosted to 15/2) - I'll probably get a tracker alert for this one this evening and I'm pretty sure I put it on the 'strong form' thread (I know I mentioned it somewhere). I’m just keeping an eye out for Ascot entries for Outgate as I thought he might be a good thing in the Britannia. I don’t think the entries are published yet but they should be by Saturday. Then again, this race is probably worth at least as much and might not be as competitive. Last year the Britannia was worth ‘only’ £41k to the winner (this one is worth over £51k). I’m very keen on Outgate because I think his Haydock form with Mighty Ulysses is Group form and I’ve backed the latter at long odds for the St James’s Palace but we’ll see. In any event, I’ve taken 15/2 BOG with Ladbrokes. I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of Kealy, Segal or Rowlands puts him up later today.

Gonna be against you in that race Dessie. Thunder Legend ran a good race from a bad draw at Haydock last time (used up a lot of energy getting to the rail from a coffin box). He likes to be up there and he's well drawn in this. Will be tough to beat I think.

Tomorrow, Chester 3.20 - Outgate 7/1 (boosted to 15/2) - I'll probably get a tracker alert for this one this evening and I'm pretty sure I put it on the 'strong form' thread (I know I mentioned it somewhere). I’m just keeping an eye out for Ascot entries for Outgate as I thought he might be a good thing in the Britannia. I don’t think the entries are published yet but they should be by Saturday. Then again, this race is probably worth at least as much and might not be as competitive. Last year the Britannia was worth ‘only’ £41k to the winner (this one is worth over £51k). I’m very keen on Outgate because I think his Haydock form with Mighty Ulysses is Group form and I’ve backed the latter at long odds for the St James’s Palace but we’ll see. In any event, I’ve taken 15/2 BOG with Ladbrokes. I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of Kealy, Segal or Rowlands puts him up later today.

Helluva move for this one so far. In to 4/1 tops. That's encouraging from my own point of view. It's my heftiest single for a few weeks.

I've backed a horse entered this weekend at a track I have a mixed record at (York) trained by someone I've never been convinced about and a jockey isn't booked yet so I'm not certain he'll run. Oh, an he's an ex Hamdan sold in the partial dispersal of his stock. Those are the negs about Mandoob. The positives is his run behind Al Aasy at Ascot looks rampant form after recent boosts by Third Realm and Universal Order, he has one or two nice pieces of form as a 3yo which suggests they could have kept him at Shadwell - and the potential oppo Saturday looks a bit threadbare on quality. Hamish is decent but is vulnerable under a penalty, I don't rate Kemari, I do rate Without a Fight but have stamina doubts. John Leeper and Enemy are ultra meh.

Seem to be on a poor run at the moment and in theory the last thing one needs is a NAP at York but the 5s I got about Mandoob on Tuesday looks decent now with Hamish not declared. I fully expect either the Godolphin or much worse after Sandown John Leeper to beat him now.

Other fancies are Thunder Legend at Chester in the Outgate race and Golden Voice in the 4.00 at Sandown. The latter looked set to win his last race at York easily but just seem to run out of puff and the drop back to 7 will suit.

I have other trackers out Sat who I've put in various multis with each other and also some Ascot horses. These are Bullet Force in the Thunder Legend race, War in Heaven in the Golden Voice contest and old friend Harry Three at York.

I quite like Devaste in the 3.50 at York. He has been in good form and certainly ticks the consistency box. Lets see if he can make the most of a very light weight.

I quite like Devaste in the 3.50 at York. He has been in good form and certainly ticks the consistency box. Lets see if he can make the most of a very light weight.

Good luck, Marb, but remember...

Totopoly... :)

One of my initial thoughts for the race was Devaste but he's been running in Class 4 and Class 3 and will probably be taking on Class 2 and better here. From memory, one of his opponents was placed in the Coventry!

Last edited:
Yes fair enough he will need to improve again but is lightly raced enough to do so and if his last few runs had been in class 2s he would likely be carrying 10 to 14lbs more!

Fingers crossed.

I'm joining DO with ATOMIC LADY 12/1

Its 2nd to Ever Given is good form.Ever given now rated 108 and the 3rd now 109 so off 91 Atomic Lady looks to have a great chance.
£50,000 race so Easterby should have him ready to Rock and Roll.

Followed you in at 12/1 5pl.
Looks to have been save for this, & trainer's pleased with her fitness and her draw.
Have also bet Bollin Joan[2.00 8/1 B365) for the same trainer.

Last edited:
Horrible case of after timing here....:lol: but I do love it when a little hunch comes off! (I am the smallest of small time punters)

Alice Stevens is a cracking pilot Pointing, the horse was first time for Ian Williams (really does improve horses especially from France) and also first run back since gelded.

8B34F503-A35D-4D98-9A6C-9AB22D8E38D5.jpeg

:thumbsup:

Would have been a brilliant one for the longshot thread, wumman!!

Lol well done Jinny I think it was all in the gelding op and being trained by one of the shrewdest and most understated trainers in both the flat and jumps game, Ian Williams.

Wishing I'd backed it of course!

Last edited:
Back