What are you backing Today? Part 2

The each way double paid about 5/1 on my two at Newcastle. A shame I placed my bet in a shop so didn't get the four places on the 6.35 at Newcastle. Nevermind...

I’ve been waiting for Hannon’s Mugader 3:55 Doncaster to go over a longer trip and he is down from 13/2 early price to 4/1 atm. There’s a few others with unknown potential at this trip so it won’t be a full bet.

Ran on strongly and won quite easily. I think there’s a lot more to him at this distance than Class 4 handicaps.

Spycatcher 2.25Nc
5/1 B365.

Nah. I can't have Sense of Duty beat in that. Her Haydock form is bombproof and through it she holds both Edraak and your selection reet.

Hoping for rain at the Curragh for Lionel.

I don't understand the prices in the 3.50 at Newmarket. Lady Labelle was eye catching behind Al Qareem at the Dante meeting but I never like to totally rely on York form for a selection - before that she wasn't far behind Stay Alert at Wolves and that filly is Group 3 quality. Despite this she's 5s in a four runner fillies handicap.

Quiet day for me and I won't see the racing but I wrote and backed these on Thursday:

Newcastle 2.25 - I expect Glen Shiel, assuming he retains his ability, to win this and 6/1 could look quite big too. He is the only G1 horse in the race and a CD winner to boot. His form so far this season is on the modest side but it was the same last season first time up. He should be ready now after two runs. The price suggests he’s not the horse he was and the evidence for that is pretty flimsy.

Newcastle 3.30 - I’m mob-handed in this race but I’m on at much better prices than currently on offer. In order as presented in the table above: Rainbow Dreamer (16/1, 5pl), Uber Cool (40/1, 4pl), Spirit Mixer (11/1), Solent Gateway (25/1, 4pl), Summer’s Knight (20/1, 4pl) and Red Verdon (40/1, 6pl).

A quick mention of each:

Rainbow Dreamer: went close two years ago, hampered out of it early last year, now much lower.
Uber Cool: progressive, yard had two winners and a second from three at Ascot last week, has won before off long absence.
Spirit Mixer: steep curve but forced wide all the way at Chester last time and much better than the bare form.
Solent Gateway: might have gone very close at Epsom last time but never got a run. Jockey a slight worry so might have another day in mind.
Summer’s Knight: progressive and had a Gold Cup entry until later dec stages.
Red Verdon: now well handicapped, jockey eyecatching, one last chance.

Newmarket 2.40 - I’m going to row along with Universal Order (4/1 taken) here. I wonder if Rebel’s Romance is Godlphin’s Cambridgeshire plot and if they’re trying to get his mark down to below 105 for it. Kemari’s best form is in softer ground and/or over further. Could he be their Ebor horse? Stowell hasn’t progressed as might have been hoped this time last season.

Newmarket 3.15 - The top two head the betting at 9/4jf, dutching at around 4/6 which, in theory, makes Pogo value at 11/2 since he beat them last time in that thrilling finish at Haydock but Sunray Major put up a career best that day and might just improve away from them here.

Curragh 3.45 - Hard to see past the top two.

Nah. I can't have Sense of Duty beat in that. Her Haydock form is bombproof and through it she holds both Edraak and your selection reet.

I don't understand the prices in the 3.50 at Newmarket. Lady Labelle was eye catching behind Al Qareem at the Dante meeting but I never like to totally rely on York form for a selection - before that she wasn't far behind Stay Alert at Wolves and that filly is Group 3 quality. Despite this she's 5s in a four runner fillies handicap.

Aye, with you on Lady Labelle. I know you don’t care who is sitting in the saddle, but Buick is an interesting booking :)

Alreeady covered that contingency witg a f/c as Spycatcher looks the rock solid alternative.

Does Lionel definately need cut in the going or did his class allow him to win on the soft at Goodwood?.

It's interesting his trainer hasn't scratched him if he really did need cut in the ground?

His sire Toronado had plenty form on good ground.

Edit - overnight rain ensures ground is good and good to yielding. Lionel should be fine.

Last edited:
I can't quite believe the price of Pretreville in the 2.35 at the Curragh. When I looked at the race he had the best form. If he hasn't lost a leg I can't see why he won't run into at least a place. Taken 10/1 each way.

Last edited:
Ben Haslam is having one fine day.

33/1 winner (Jerrysback) and two more winners at 4s and 9/2 as far as I can see all for JP.

Tomorrow Windsor 7:15 Qoya. Handicap debut, up in distance, down in class, 2/1WH atm.

Last edited:
Shandy Star takes on a William Buick steering job at Ponte today but the horse hated Epsom and never looked happy

He is a decent prospect and might just upset the odds on fav.

Shandy Star takes on a William Buick steering job at Ponte today but the horse hated Epsom and never looked happy

He is a decent prospect and might just upset the odds on fav.
Not far from Ponte Fist, and it's raining stair rods here.Yours doesn't appear to have a soft ground action, the favs won on it

Oh My it's run already LOl I just checked my account and i'm £*,*** richer..........I think I'll take up the gambling game full time again:lol:

In my dreams

Back