What are you backing Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One bet on the day at Punchestown for me so far:

18:40 Mossey Joe @ 10/1. This is a serious, serious horse and there's no way he should be as big as 10/1. He was the highest rated Novice Chaser around going into the Autumn having earned a 151 rating and was probably over the top by the time he ran at Down Royal in a decent Handicap in June, he'd previously disposed of a number of useful decent handicappers at Cork in May and had beaten Ainama and co on debut and though that one hasn't done much for the form he took the race very easily indeed. The step up in tirp will be no problem for him and this gelding who was unbeaten 3/3 in Points/HC's looks likely to be the one to trouble Sir Des Champs most in this - Barry Gerraghty is booked again and the only doubt is the ground but he's won a Novice Hurdle on soft and points on yielding to soft so whilst he'd appreciate quicker ground I'm hopeful that he'll be ok on this. He's also available @ 5/2 W/O Sir Des Champs which is a stonking bet IMO.

He's an exciting prospect, fingers crossed he'll be ok after that fall

That was the longest 2 furlongs I've suffered in a long time. I thought he'd blown it by straying of a true line but got it him in the end.

Life and Soul can win the 2:50 at Epsom tomorrow. Currently a 10/1 chance.

This horse has gone well first time out before, and I envisage the same thing happening again. Was fourth here last year, beaten a length and three quarters behind that very useful horse, Fox Hunt. I'm not sure tomorrows race is as hot as that one last year, and if he handles the soft, and I've no reason to think he won't (despite one poor run at Ascot last year which I've just put a line through), I reckon he could win.

Last edited:
Really like Thomasgainsborough at Epsom today. Has operated on the ground previously and ran a cracker first time up in what could turn out to be a very very good 3-yo handicap at Dundalk. I think the winner of that could be a proper horse and allowing for the fact that the master's usually improve for their first run I think 3/1 is more than fair against similar beasts with possibly less scope. I am going to follow that handicap form over the cliff for the year.:ninja:

Really like Thomasgainsborough at Epsom today. Has operated on the ground previously and ran a cracker first time up in what could turn out to be a very very good 3-yo handicap at Dundalk. I think the winner of that could be a proper horse and allowing for the fact that the master's usually improve for their first run I think 3/1 is more than fair against similar beasts with possibly less scope. I am going to follow that handicap form over the cliff for the year.:ninja:

I fancied him too. A bad period this is.

Decoy (7:00 Chepstow) seemed to lose his way after the christmas period, but trainer is in good form at present with plenty of placed horses and winners over the last week. This horse won a 10K hurdle race on very soft ground in France a while back, has form in the book in England, and I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see him bounce back to form here. In fact I'll be backing him to do so.

Last edited:
Decoy (7:00 Chepstow) seemed to lose his way after the christmas period, but trainer is in good form at present with plenty of placed horses and winners over the last week. This horse won a 10K hurdle race on very soft ground in France a while back, has form in the book in England, and I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see him bounce back to form here. In fact I'll be backing him to do so.

Cross Kennon is a class act on heavy ground and will do for me in that race.

I live nearby and we've already had one heavy shower this morning so it's going to be pretty gruelling stuff tonight.

I shall be in attandance with wife and ankle-biters. Captain Tidds is my banker in the staying handicap chase.

Donny 5.35 Captain Scooby

I can't be certain how the draw is going to pan out, but looking at the non runners may be a clue, with stalls 9,15,17,18. :whistle:

With 9,10,16 & 18 pulled in the 1st division, maybe the stewards should inspect these outside stalls, as there appears to be a problem. ;)

Gut feeling is mid to far will be the place to be,so CS in 9/14 isn't ideal, but I can't be totally certain and there may be more n/r's anyway.

Back on the same turf winning mark, this exposed performer may have a little more to offer, with conditions to suit.

His last turf win, came within 24 hours of his last win, so he may have been a little jaded, with 4 runs inside 13 days. Eight day break with conditions in his favour and Da Silva looks to be one of Guest's winning jockeys.

Long Awaited does look decent in this race, but having failing to be placed in all his h/caps at 5/4,7/4 and 5/2 fav, each time, I'm happy to take him on.

Last edited:
Not saying today's runners are to be backed but Stoute has had 3 winners from his last 4 runners. Given the season he had last year I expect there will be some well handicapped horses in that yard.

Last edited:
The bookies seem to have picked up on the hot form of the Burke horses, with some very skinny prices.

A few of them seem certain to drift out and with two n/r's, the six remaining horses look worth combining in a couple of combo's.

Will have to go with BOG, as the 1st leg is a 20/1 poke.

The early market support for Go On Murt in the 4:35 at Navan looks interesting. I'm on at 16's as I felt he might be well handicapped, so glad to see the support.

Last edited:
This thread gone quiet lately, whats happend? Anyway I think it needed a break. That said, It's a shame we appear to have lost EC1.

I put Decoy up on here for a race a couple of weeks ago which was abandoned. Think he could run well here at Uttoxeter.

Ooops just realised they're off already...

Last edited:
Cry for the Moon must have at least 20lbs in hand in the second tomorrow. Got handicapped as a 3/4 year old over hurdles and has shown marked improvement since most especially last season. Has performed on soft ground and almost has the same NH mark as on the flat. If he's half fit he dots up.

Im having a little bet today - godolphin have taken one up to Hamilton which strikes me as an odd move, so I've done that - and also jo Hughes' horse up there, not many in the race but it took them about 6/7 hours to get there and it's a long way for just one.... Their apprentice is useful so I don't reckon she will be too far tailed off... (see, sometimes I can give reasons rather than "I like that one it's pretty"!!!!!)

I'd guess the godolphin one won't be a very good price tho.... I did it all late last night and stan James just had sp up on the thingy....

Last edited:
Im having a little bet today - godolphin have taken one up to Hamilton which strikes me as an odd move, so I've done that - and also jo Hughes' horse up there, not many in the race but it took them about 6/7 hours to get there and it's a long way for just one.... Their apprentice is useful so I don't reckon she will be too far tailed off... (see, sometimes I can give reasons rather than "I like that one it's pretty"!!!!!)

I'd guess the godolphin one won't be a very good price tho.... I did it all late last night and stan James just had sp up on the thingy....

This new love interest is having a very positive effect on you Trudij;)

Today I shall be backing Law Of The Range. Tough horse, sure to give her running. I'd be very confident she will reverse form with Captivator. May need a couple of the others not to be cherry ripe, but she'll dig in and be hard to pass if she gets her head in front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back