What are you backing Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well done Bruce.

I was surprised it traded bigger than it's starting price in running, but there have been plenty of strange in running prices today; Ceiling Kitty being the biggest rick so far.

Thanks guys, appreciate your comments.

Lets hope my luck spreads off on some of you today.

All the best

I like two today at Punchestown - main bet is Last Time D'albain - his second to Lucky William at Fairyhouse reads very well now and although up 8 lbs for this I don't think it will stop him. Was heavily touted and bet to win this before it's abaondonment and 9/2 is fair.

Knocklong looked more a hurdles than bumper type and ran well first time out over sticks, won his bumper and then got caught in a sprint finish behind Summer Star in a listed bumper at Christmas. As a Roche inmate I would like to see tonnes of money for it - 4/1 is a very fair reflection of his chances with a few with potential but question marks over them to beat.

I think Paradis De Thiax has a decent squeak in the 5:50 at Punchestown.

Ran very well at Aintree last time and I think a good gallop on soft ground is probably what this one needs to show it's best, which I hope he might get with Medical Card and Gala Dancer in the field today.

Last edited:
I've taken the 9/1 Tominator for the Chester Cup-could see him winning a couple of major staying handicaps this year-hopefully kicking off tomorrow.

Is Bar the Bull the big Smoking Aces fan on the forum - he gas to gave a huge chance tomorrow at Punchestown with only two rivals to beat - The Bishop Looney is probably too high and The Midnight Club too inconsistent. 11/2 with Powers looks standout to me.

Betterbetterbetter is still 11/4 in places - her first run was very promising and although winning since at Dundalk she looked a little laboured to beat ordinary opposition. I hope she is,excuse me, better than that and will show it tomorrow. Don't think it's the greatest Vase ever ran and it just maybe that some cut may suit her. Drawn well will be a help and I believe she will race handily.

I might also include Overturn against Luke's selection above despite his tough season, draw and ground all likely to be against him.

Dissapointed I didn't end up choosing the eventual winner of the 5:50 as was bloody close to doing so, one of those things; never change your mind as they say.:)

Well done with your winner, onthebridle.

Tominator has excellent an chance tomorrow. I do like Mystery Star e/w though as this horse was third in the race last year off two pound higher mark. Could run well again tomorrow at a price.

Last edited:
Mystery Star has not shown any kind of form on worse than good ground, otherwise I would have liked that one as well.

Harrison's Cave's last ride at Leopardstown has to be seen to be believed. Those Ballydoyle boys just run roughshod on Irish racing. Cough my ass. They were using that race as a prep for this. Not a very good gate position, price is not great either, but the ground is soft and he should be motoring when others have cried enough.

Be careful, think Jamie Osbourne's mare is Group Material to be honest.

Would also like to mention Noble Storm looks to have been prepped for this race and anyone taking him on tomorrow should be quite worried about trying to get him beat.

46 day break after a spin around at Lingfield and you couldn't imagine that he's had another setback given the opportunites they've had to get a run in to him so this must be a serious target to get some confidence into the horse especially with many coming here because it's another option rather than Ed's well thought out plan - lovely draw aswell!

Last edited:
Lightening Fire is interesting in the Isabel Tompsett Handicap Hurdle at Ffos Las tonight (8.10).

Trainer Bernard Llewellyn is romantically linked to Isabel Tompsett (hence the pink) and is presumably keen to win this race. Lightening Fire has run over unsuitable trips on his last two outings but 2m6f could be ideal and he's better equipped to handle soft ground than a few of today's rivals. 14-1 looks far too big, imho.

Last edited:
Technically tomorrow but if I could get on tonight would. Gabrial at chester tomorrow absolute balls deep job for me. Looked seriously exciting before Coventry last year when it went wrong. Wasn't seen again until earlier this year when a serious eye-catcher. I'll be surprised if he isn't a cut above this lot. 9/4 time to bet like a man!

Three for me tomorrow at Chester:

1:35 - Just can't see anything with any decent recent soft ground form. Kings Warrior (NAP) does have a decent piece of form last time, still looks feasibly handicapped, and should take some beating with Ryan Moore on to do the steering. That booking will help him get his head in front.

2:35 - Mickdaam for reasons stated on the derby thread. I think this is is horse who will do well this year. Not red hot on the other two market leaders and not getting too carried away with maidens in these events: You'll go broke always looking to back 'improving' horses imo. Mickdaam will show best form on left handed track, whether that is Chester or not we'll find out tomorrow.

3;05 - Switzerland's dad Sharmadal was a group 1 winner on the soft and that is why I think he'll go on it tomorrow. He appears to like a left handed track, the form of his Wolverhampton win is working out nicely, and I think he can bounce back tomorrow after a poor run last time at Newmarket. Needs to improve a bit to take this but I think there's enough indicators to say he can.

Last edited:
Call to Battle looks sure to start favourite for the Chester Vase but there's couple of reasons he could be worth opposing.

On his reappearance he was the first to come under pressure turning for home when the pace quickened. The sudden injection of pace seemed to catch him out and watching his other races he is definitely not a horse who does things quickly.

This race could turn into a bit of a sprint and that worries me and the other thing that caught my eye was he didn't look happy on the turn into the straight hanging slightly and by the time he got balanced the race was all but over.

No doubt he could have too much class for these as could the AOB runner but I I really liked the way Minimum Risk handle himself at Newbury.

He only won a neck but Jamie Spencer knew he had a decent horse under him and was never going to be passed.

I expect Spencer to be up with the pace in this and if I am right about the chinks in Call to Battle's armour I reckon he can take this.

He's the otsider in this and easy to back at double figures on Betfair so I'll be monotring the prices and backing him to win and place plus a saver on Call to Battle plus a reverse forecast.

Sole bets on Betfair today
10pts win Minimum Risk
10pts Place Minimum Risk
10 Pts Call to Battle
5pts RFC

Technically tomorrow but if I could get on tonight would. Gabrial at chester tomorrow absolute balls deep job for me. Looked seriously exciting before Coventry last year when it went wrong. Wasn't seen again until earlier this year when a serious eye-catcher. I'll be surprised if he isn't a cut above this lot. 9/4 time to bet like a man!

I thought so too, initially, but it's a snorkel and flippers job Thursday, and there's little encouragement in either his form or his pedigree, imo.

Gabriel is the worst priced horse I have ever seen in any race. Best to be blunt! Maybe he works like a 110 rated horse at home, who knows? But he certainly has done nothing to warrant being shorter than 4s, and I would very much doubt his stamina in these conditions over 7.5 furlongs. Good luck Kauto, but for me, he's a truly awful price.

I've taken the 6/1 Model Pupil in the Chester Vase. The 3rd and the 5th from his maiden have both won this season The form of his first run looks strong as well with the winner finishing 5th in the Craven and the 2nd winning a handicap at Newmarket last Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back