What are you backing Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning All

5.20 Catterick-Wee Giant

Each Way @ 5-1 [Boylesports] BOG

Trainer has had 6 winners from only eleven runners in last couple of weeks

Catt 3.05 Joe The Coat. W&P @ bf sp.

Well out of it on ratings but has his perfect conditions and stable going well. Should hopefully get a price.

Western Prize being pulled out has given me hope of placing at least.

Catt 3.05 Joe The Coat. W&P @ bf sp.
Well out of it on ratings but has his perfect conditions and stable going well. Should hopefully get a price.
Western Prize being pulled out has given me hope of placing at least.

Beaten a furlong but got the final place. Backed late on so a poor place sp of 2.58.

Extract of telecon (fictional).

Hello, is that Honest John's? Good, its TS here, are you paying me in cash or into my account for my bet in the first at Ascot? I'd prefer cash!.
What! Regal Diamond! No! Clearly some understandable mistake on your part, it's Royal Diamond, a old favourite of mine. You must have written it quickly.
Well that wasn't nice was it? Anyway it wouldn't fit.

4.55 Naas

Our Conor wouldn't need to be fully fit to exploit a mark of 84 here..was competitive off that mark before NH improvement..should win easily..3.55 a gift

Last edited:
Sounds like a school to me.

Hughes said of Our Conor: "I'm delighted. He travelled well and he ran well. The others have been running all year whereas that's his first run. He'd be 90% fit."

When asked if Our Conor would next run in the Morgiana Hurdle at Punchestown, the trainer added: "Definitely."

Mullins reported: "I'm very happy with that. He was a little bit fresh in places and got a little bit tired. You don't want a Champion Hurdle horse ready now. He should improve and be all right for the season ahead. Everything went to plan."

Windsor 4.30 Aldwick Bay @ 100/30 BOG.

Bow Creek will no doubt romp in, reminding me of my loss with him York, but he's probably one to chuck in an acca.

IF the forecast is correct, the Windsor going could change to heavy which really should suit AB most.

Windsor C&D form on soft/ heavy: 1,1. Both those runs were off OR's of 80 & 79 and comes here off 70.

The fact that he finished 11/11 last time out at a price of 40/1, obviously indicates he's been on the downgrade, with two poor runs, but getting is mark down and bad ground would have really been hoped for. Hard to predict how the 1st time blinkers will work, but you could argue it's the right time to try them on his ground.

Ex Oriente, Lybica and Vital Evidence have yet to prove they will go on ground.

Carry On Sydney is struggling formwise and overlooked by Hughes.

Starwatch, Dellbuoy and Takeitfromalady have trip issues.

Ace Of Valhalla will improve after recent run but really needs a significant step up.

Breaking The bank could be a threat but last claiming win does not look that strong.

Pressburg is held by Aldwick Bay on last years run here.

Unison is another who will go on ground but formlines of FL runs look pretty weak.

I've had a small bet E/W on Badb Catha @ 33/1 in the 14:50 Plumpton. This is a ridiculously bad race with Badb Catha being an ex-pointer who clearly didn't stay three miles between the flags. Her best outing for Sheila Crowe came when she was still up there prior to falling 4 out in a maiden at Whitwick Manor won by an improving horse who ran well behind Harbour Court at Cheltenham (irrelevant form here mind) - that came on soft ground and this daughter of Flemensfirth has yet to encounter anything softer than good in her career so far and as such effectively makes her handicap debut here off a mark of 71 with Freddie Tett in the saddle. Given who trains the horse the chances are she isn't fit but in a race as bad as this dropping markedly in trip she's worth a bash.

Martin

Had a bit e/w at 20/1 on Hopatina in the 17:20 at Plumpton. The mare has not been out for 247-days but, if fit, could go well and will relish the soft-ground conditions

Last edited:
I make Norway Cross still value at 13/8 4.10 Pontefract.

Goes on the ground, Cumani's come on an average of 7lbs second time out, gets weight off them all.

Newsreader may well need the run, and was 6lb RPR lower on previous run anyway, plus unsure on the ground.

The Godolphin has a fair bit to find. The others are a mixed bag of unraced and worse.

I wouldn't take the field even in a coin flip.

TOTO SKYLLACHY 5.10 PONTEFRACT

Toto Skyllachy was beaten some 14ls in a 0-90 last time and 15ls in a 0-85 the time before which could mean he has had enough for the season. However, he was beaten just 1.3lsin a 0-85 carrying 9-10 on his third last run that gives him a leading chance here. He run a cracker that day as he reared as the stalls opened and still managed to poke his head in front in the final furlong only to get mugged close home. The winner of that race Swiftly Done has come out and run a cracker in a 0-95 the other day beaten about 2ls off 5lbs higher. Six of Toto Skyllachy’s eight wins have come on a stiff track. Danny Tudhope’s record on him reads; 6124253323611039. When racing in class 4 that improves to 12221139. On a stiff track it improves again to; 12211.

Headline News is the likely jolly after winning a 0-80 last time. She is up to 0-85 and carries 2lbs more physical weight off a 10lbs higher mark. She is now 14lbs higher than her win at Leicester in a 0-75 but she is clearly thriving at present. The stable have gone 15 runners without a winner over the last 18 days and Rae Guest is 0-9 in handicaps at Pontefract.

Artful Prince has gone from 48 to 76 in the last three months. He was beaten 10ls in a 0-75 last time. He was headed at the 2f marker so the drop back to 10f will be in his favour, 3-4 over 10f. However, he is 7lbs higher than he was for his last win in class 6, he is drawn on the M62 and James Given is 1-28 in the last month. Artful Prince is yet to race in this class.

Arc Light won over course and distance in July in a 0-75 off 70 and will be of interest off 1lb higher carrying 8lbs less weight. However, he is 0-6 in 0-85 never placing.

Asgardella won her debut maiden on good to firm last year and has now gone ten races without troubling the judge. She ran ok in a 0-85 last time off 79 to suggest this might be within her range off 3lbs lower and 4lbs less physical weight. She has never placed in three races over 10f though being by Duke Of Marmalade she should stay. I’m not sure his progeny relish cut nor do they like stiff tracks, 4-96.

Musnad looks like he is having a sharpener before embarking on a novice chase campaign. He is 1-23 on the flat, the win off 71 at Musselburgh last year. Musnad is 0-8, never placing after a break off 30 days or more and is 0-4 on soft ground, never placing. He is 0-6 on a stiff track. De Sousa looks a significant booking with a 27% strike for the yard.

Life And Times is an unexposed Mark Johnston 5yo who must have had problems judging by the amount of runs he has had. He could improve for the step up to 10f but breeding suggests this distance is right on the limit of his stamina.
San Cassiano is 0-6 on good to soft or slower and 1-19 going left handed. He has raced off 80 six times this season and unplaced in them all.

Hydrant is 0-8 in 0-85.

Venutius is still finding his way at Phil Kirby’s and will improve in time. He is 0-12 on undulating tracks.

Conclusion: Silvestre De Sousa is 12-31 at Pontefract this season and he has 7 rides today. Musnad could run well under his guidance but I prefer the chance of Toto Skyllachy who is tactically adept and is a big price here considering the opposition. He won over 0.5f shorter at Carlisle in a claimer earlier in the summer so he should stay this 10f and the ground won’t bother him. He is very well handicapped and has won in this grade and he should repay each way support.

I've had a small bet E/W on Badb Catha @ 33/1 in the 14:50 Plumpton. This is a ridiculously bad race with Badb Catha being an ex-pointer who clearly didn't stay three miles between the flags. Her best outing for Sheila Crowe came when she was still up there prior to falling 4 out in a maiden at Whitwick Manor won by an improving horse who ran well behind Harbour Court at Cheltenham (irrelevant form here mind) - that came on soft ground and this daughter of Flemensfirth has yet to encounter anything softer than good in her career so far and as such effectively makes her handicap debut here off a mark of 71 with Freddie Tett in the saddle. Given who trains the horse the chances are she isn't fit but in a race as bad as this dropping markedly in trip she's worth a bash.

Martin

Has had a breathing operation since her last run and she did run her best race after a break last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back