What are you backing Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In with you here on Smad Place, Djakadam is a strong horse "on potential" and its been a big week of failures "on potential" so Smad loves Newbury 2 races 2 wins, 2nd in the RSA won a nice novice chase beating Sam Winner who won at Cheltenham earlier which stamps the form.... "Rocky Creek" main danger imo, Nicholls raved about this last year.. had a run so will be fitter..... Didnt someone say he's in Kauto stars box at home.

Sorry only just read hennesy post and it more or less says the same.... makes me look like I plagiarized that thread.... Sorry again.. DOH!

Hammersley Lake has clearly been difficult to train, but he finished close enough to Esmondo in several races in France, to warrant plenty of interest off a mark of 139, in the Newbury 13:50 this afternoon.

Appeared to come back in good style at Cheltenham last month, and is around the 3/1 mark - I think he is NAP material today.

Last edited:
I hadn't backed a horse this NH season (nor seen a race live) and watched this and backed him on your 'sound' advice... good to see things haven't changed! ;)

Think that Snow Dancer has a decent chance in the last at Wolver, hasn't won for 3 years and getting a bit long in the tooth now but has fallen to a very low mark and i thought ran very well here lto, travelled nicely and ran on well. New trainer J D Riches has ran her over 12fs recently wheras her best form was over this distance, has booked a claimer to take another 7lbs off and this race looks very poor.
Her current price off 7/1 is twice the price of Sarlat who beat her a length lto who runs in the 1st division, EW bet for me.

Interesting price. It's clear that the Mullins factor is at play here and both TTT and Apache Stronghold are backable.

Would it be bad for Irish racing if the two potential best novice chasers in the country (aside from Vautaur) are beaten today?

Uninspiring return to this forum for me so far but hopefully folk enjoy the write ups if not the results!
Anyway a horse that caught my eye lto runs tomorrow in Oil Strike of Mick Easterby. The 1st thing that i noticed was the continued support for this horse beforehand, i expected it to drift having some abysmal form beforehand so i was suprised to see the horse contract on BF and with the books. Horse hadn't run for 10 months and had finished virtually last or last but one in its previous 8 races.
G Gibbons settled the horse in last after tacking over from a wide draw and didn't make any ground till in the straight, unfortunately his progress was halted by running into the back of other horses and by the time he got a clear run the race was over.
Dropped into a class 6 tmr for the 1st time and into a 0-65, Blinkers are back on which did the trick for him in july 13, 1st time and 2nd time and already horse has been backed into 5/1 with 356.
You can still get 7/1 with other firms at the minute. Gibbons is riding a horse for Holt who he has previously won on and Mchugh takes over. Never be quite sure with Mick Easterby wether it'll be off or not and maybe that horse might need 6fs here but one to watch out for on next couple of runs irrespective how it does tomorrow, good luck.

Uncle Bernie (3.30) dotted up over this c/d last week, and the small rise in grade shouldn't be enough to stop him doubling up today.
Current 11/4 is generous.

That list of yours must be priceless, EC!!
Didn`t think Uncle Bernie was given much of a ride and I see SJ`s selection is a NR.

its certainly coining it

there were 3 today..bb which was 10lb in hand..a non runner and pathway to honour..that one is odds on and i make it an 80 horse..so Gosdens in that race will need to be 80+ to beat it..i'll let it run at the price..should win though

Last edited:
good decision..i don't like guessing about the oppo and Gosdens is an 80+ on that run

i like handicaps..where the edge is better usually..pto was a daft price today

Uninspiring return to this forum for me so far but hopefully folk enjoy the write ups if not the results!
Anyway a horse that caught my eye lto runs tomorrow in Oil Strike of Mick Easterby. The 1st thing that i noticed was the continued support for this horse beforehand, i expected it to drift having some abysmal form beforehand so i was suprised to see the horse contract on BF and with the books. Horse hadn't run for 10 months and had finished virtually last or last but one in its previous 8 races.
G Gibbons settled the horse in last after tacking over from a wide draw and didn't make any ground till in the straight, unfortunately his progress was halted by running into the back of other horses and by the time he got a clear run the race was over.
Dropped into a class 6 tmr for the 1st time and into a 0-65, Blinkers are back on which did the trick for him in july 13, 1st time and 2nd time and already horse has been backed into 5/1 with 356.
You can still get 7/1 with other firms at the minute. Gibbons is riding a horse for Holt who he has previously won on and Mchugh takes over. Never be quite sure with Mick Easterby wether it'll be off or not and maybe that horse might need 6fs here but one to watch out for on next couple of runs irrespective how it does tomorrow, good luck.

do you think he has withdrawn it because he knows Bilash is trying ..that one finished in front of him last time?

i often look at that angle..two horses in a race..both ran against each other last time..one gets pulled..other one usually runs well

Last edited:
Impossible to second guess him EC1, hard to say why he was pulled out, about 7/2-4/1 with the books when withdrawn, perhaps he wants a better price to back EW.
Silly as it sounds but i put a write up on here last night and someone else put up virtually the same thing on the olbg this am and it only takes a few fivers and tenners to shorten the price up in the morning.

A horse coming from a year lay-off and reverting back to hurdles tomorrow is Spanish Arch at Southwell (1:50).
He won first time in a handicap hurdle for trainer Charlie Longsdon quite a while ago but he did look promising that day winning by ten lengths off 105. At first glance a mark of 119 might seem too high, but Spanish Arch scored over fences last season, is still very lightly raced, so 119 seems fine and connections have done the smart thing in targetting a nice little class 4 race for Spanish Arch's first start of the season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back