What are you backing Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the 2.15 i think that Clear Praise has a very good chance back over 6fs, ran a blinder here over 5fs 2 runs ago under this 7lb claimer when storming up the straight against the rail, has the plum draw in stall 1 today, put in a decent effort at Kempton lto when up with the pace throughout but this 7lbs off could make all the difference. Trainer Simon Dow has his string in great form with 3 winners and a couple of places in past F/N, will back EW about 13/2-7/1.
In the 2.45 The Happy Hammer runs from the same mark as when winning over C/D in February, that was a very good class 5 the form of which has worked out very well this is a class 6 and blinkers are reapplied, note there has been plenty of support for it this am. Does look a very open race though and could give chances to a few others.

I've gone against you SJ.

The fun of 7 sofa showrooms has worn off on me. If it loses I can always sit on a couple of milk crates.

Ling 2.15. Vincennci. E/W @ 12/1

Never won on the a/w but his run on the 9/07/14, when last on p/t looks easily strong enough to land this if fit enough, when he finished 2nd off 78.

The winner of that race all but broke down next time out but the 3rd,4th and 5th have all made decent progress since.

You could argue about the RP comment about Kirby being a positive sign, when he has failed to win on the horse from 5 attempts and is 0/14 for the stable, but his form on the horse reads: 5/2/2/2/3.

Plenty of concerns, no hood, trainer form, etc, but the price is enough to tempt me.

Strange ride from the jockey given what you said about riding style SJ. Stalls opened and he took a pull, yet stayed on the rail the whole way around anyway.

An interesting race from a form point of view and what the handicapper does with the 2nd and 3rd.
Kalimantan (110) has finished 5 lengths behind Starluck (134).
Gooher (116) has run a cracker in 2nd and will probably be raised to the mid 120's for that.
Kalimantan is progressing nicely, I'll be very interested to see his new rating.
Anything around 120 (or less) would make him an excellent betting proposition given the right conditions for his next start...so he's in my online notebook.
As for Starluck, he'll probably find himself on 140 haha. :)
The 2nd from this race at Cheltenham, Gooher (120), has ran disappointingly since, but equally Starluck (140) ran to his mark again yesterday at Kempton, and although being beaten 5 lengths by Starluck at Cheltenham doesn't necessarily make Kalimantan a 135 rated horse, it does mean that a rating of just 110 could be exploitable, imo.

He hasn't be raised a single pound for his last performance (I thought he'd go up at least 7-10 pound)... and so Kalimantan is worth watching wherever he runs, (entered to run on Tuesday and a couple of races on new years day).

Last edited:
I am all over Nicky Henderson's Top Notch like a rash today....already got some evens on a horse I thought would be all but unbackable today.

Micks Jazz is a cracking looking horse an excellent jumper and travels like a dream. He must have been a joy to watch on the gallops at home.

It's little wonder he went off at 7/4 on his first run but when the chips were down he went from cruise control to looking one paced.
I think he's one for the future but he should be no match for Top Notch today.

Top Notch is owned by Simon Munir who also owns Peace and Co the current fav for Triumph Hurdle.

He could very well end up with the the first 2 in the betting.

Anyone who sayw him win his last race in France couldn't help be impressed with the turn of foot he showed
and a repeat would make Micks Jazz a sitting duck

Be very surprised if he doesn't hack up today.

The Challow Hurdle looks a bit more difficult to work out with a few very good novices in the line up.

Blacklion looks the type with a long career ahead of him in staying races
but I can see no reason why he should reverse recent form with Parlour Games.

A stronger earlier pace could help here but he was beaten very easily at Cheltenham 3lbs may not be enough.

Vyta Du Roc is yet another Simon Munir owned Nicky Henderson trained horse and I am not sure Barry Geraghty would be riding him if he had a choice.

He and Shantou Bob took forever and a day to mow down Tara Point at Sandown and while the long straight at Newbury may suit him as Barry suggests in his ATR article
I'm not sure it won't take more than that to win this.

PN should have a good idea through Tara Point what the chances are Arpege D'alene can come home with the bacon.

Totally unfancied in his maiden at 12/1 Arpege D'alene looked like a horse with a big future.

Granted the company was along way off todays but if he can go the early pace and this comes to a slog up the Newbury straight I reckon he could just about win this.

If it doesn't then Parlour Games may have too much toe for them

I am going against the first 2 in the market and Dutching at 2/1 approx on Parlour Games and Arpege D'alene

Somewhere in between times depending on results I will be backing Hurricane Fly to give Jezki another boot in the ass and sticking any winnings onto Royal Regatta.

Toss up which one has the easiest task.

A Hurricane Fly/Royal Regatta double at 5/2 looks too good to miss

I'm all over Blaklion today, potential superstar IMO. I'm not clever enough to back that up with evidence, it's more of a visual impression thing with this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers lads...........luck was in..I even managed to get out at 1.15 on Royal Regatta for a nice profit

Couldn't believe the price of Top Notch..probably due to Nicky making excuses beforehand in case he got beat

Taunton fences aren't the easiest in the country but they should be less of a test than Cheltenham was for the mare Theatre Queen.

Timeform weren't too complimentary when it came to her jumping at Cheltenham but really she jumped perfectly ok and at times really well.

This race today could be regarded as a step up in class for her but her main rival Howlongisafoot finished 2nd in a race full of professional losers last time and I think it's him who could be taking a step up in class.

He did jump round Sandown really well until under pressure he made a bad mistake at the 2nd last but it didn't seem to stop him and he pinged the last.

My worry with him is he looks woefully one paced and I doubt if the step up in trip will change that.

The mare on the other hand has bags of toe. That said her jockey mark Wall needs to calm his knickers and not make too much use of her on the way round if he is going to win this race today.

Hopefully he will get her into a nice rhythm from the start let her stride on and not interfere too much.

If Sam Twiston Davies has half a brain he'll take her on from the start and try and outjump her but over a longer trip my hope is they will hold him up...If they do and she gets to the front early I think she'll win without too much problem.

Should be a nice tactical race if not a race to have your life savings off.

Theatre Queen around 5/2 is my only bet today

In the opener at Taunton (13:00) have had a bit on Rolling Dough e/w at 7/1. Did it e/w because I would have preferred it G/S all the way rather than 'in places'. Regardless, should run well. Good luck all!

Would've nearly won lto without the winner holding him in. Interesting that the jockey responsible elects yo ride him today.

The 2nd from this race at Cheltenham, Gooher (120), has ran disappointingly since, but equally Starluck (140) ran to his mark again yesterday at Kempton, and although being beaten 5 lengths by Starluck at Cheltenham doesn't necessarily make Kalimantan a 135 rated horse, it does mean that a rating of just 110 could be exploitable, imo.

He hasn't be raised a single pound for his last performance (I thought he'd go up at least 7-10 pound)... and so Kalimantan is worth watching wherever he runs, (entered to run on Tuesday and a couple of races on new years day).

been well supported

Rolling Dough given a bit too much to do, but ran on well late so one for the notebook............

I've gone for a cheap place lay on Moulin Rouge at 2/5 in the next at Lingers on the basis that he is Danish bred and was running there up to a few months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back