What are you backing Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the off chance Uttoxeter survives an inspection I am sticking up a horse who I have been waiting to reappear.

I'm 6 hours ahead of you guys and may well be in the pub and off to celebrate the new year before word comes through.

If he doesn't get a run today he's def one for the notebooks

Alex Hales and anyone who backed Gilzean after being off the course for 19 months must have been tempted to throw their betting vouchers away after the first mile at Market Rasen on his reappearance.

He went off the outsider of the field but wasn't totally unfancied having been backed at 16/1. Ultra fresh he refused to settle and was just about pulling Daryl Jacob's arms out of their sockets.

He did settle a bit better on the 2nd circuit and jumped superbly but about 6 furlong out he seemed to blow up lost his position and looked booked to finish unplaced.

Much to his credit Daryl Jacob while not hard on the horse didn't give up and the horse seemed to get his second wind and by the second last was back on terms and with pinpoint accuracy at his hurdles took it up and won going away.

It wasn't the best race in the world but if he absolutely trounced the heavily punted Admiral Blake at Fontwell last year and looked like a horse to follow before going wrong at Cartmel and finishing tailed off.

This is a nice horse and unless something goes terribly wrong I reckon it wont be long before he leaves his current mark of 95 a long way behind.

Gilzean at the best price you can get

Just heard both jump meeting are off which is already on the RP website.

I was actually checking earlier to see how Betfair punters were betting on the chances and hadn't logged off.

Some guy actually offered to lay Uttoxeter a minute ago which someone grabbed and some desperate skunk punters are still putting up prices in the hope some poor punter takes the bet.

Betfair should weed the fookers out and ban them.........still prices are going up as I type...shocking behaviour

Shakalakaboomboom 14/1 BG fancies a big run
Rolling Maul 33/1 Roddys horse overpriced
Camlann 8/1 Very well bred raider trained by the Shark Hanlon

EW Patent hoping for a good start to 2015

Didn't have to wait long...Gilzean runs in the last at Fakenham today

Race looks a bit better than the abandoned Uttoxeter one but if he's as well in as I think the end result shouldn't change

The price however has Gilzean 11/2

The novice chase at Cheltenham at first glance looks a cracker today with Champagne West taking on PN's Ptti Zig.

The market clearly thinks it's a race between the big 2 but things don't always work out the way they should.

Urban Hymn likes to lead and if he and Little Jon another front runner both go on early a strong pace looks a certainty and jumping will be all important.

Champagne Fever has got a helluva engine there's no doubting that but he is a deplorable jumper.

Unless Yogi Breisner has moved into his box with him or by some miracle he's magically changed his ways in the last 2 1/2 weeks
he's going to find this very tough today if he manages to stand up. The fast pace may help him but he's not for me.

Ptit Zig isn't exactly a natural jumper either but he was miles ahead of Champagne Fever over hurdles and he should win again.

The next horse in the betting is Alan King's Ned Stark and he is a jockey's dream ride.

From the word go at Newbury he immediately switch off, was totally relaxed a cruised through his race without a sign of a jumping error (bit sloppy at one fence)

Denis O'Reagan could have had a cup of tea on the way round.

A couple of times he almost jumped into the back of the horses in front but that wasn't down to him pulling hard he just jumped better than everything else.

DO gave him a couple of slaps to wake him up going to the last but the race was never in any doubt
He's a progressive horse and he has every right to be here today.

I reckon Ptit Zig and Ned Stark will fill the first 2 places.

1. Lay Champagne Fever for a place @1.5...ish

2. Dutch Ptit Zig and Ned Stark @ evens..ish

3. RFC Ptit Zig and Ned Stark

4. Back Ned Stark for a place 5/2

Last edited:
Barry Geraghty's article is always worth reading but sometime when you are waiting to back one you wish he hadn't ever started it. :)

He seems keen on Enricht who I know next to nothing about so can only take his word for it. Taken 12/1 for a win and 7/2 for a place on the machine.

The fact Rock On Ruby beat Volnay De Thaix 2 1/4l of levels in workmanlike fashion must have Barry thinking wait until he gets a load of this fellow

The New One's fans might get a bit carried away after the race if Vaniteux absolutely hacks up (hopefully)

They shouldn't get too carried away as I reckon he will improve 7lbs for the trip.
I suppose Nicky Henderson had to find out if he was up to Champion Hurdle class so he has been kept at 2 miles so far this season
but this without a doubt is his trip

Barry says as much in his article (Da Swine) probably cost a point in the betting
but I have been waiting for him to be stepped back up ever since I saw him absolutely trounce Portway Flyer who had won 3 on the trot in impressive fashion.
The fact there were 4 horses all going well within themselves turning for home it's hard to believe how easily and how far he won by with no more than a tap down the shoulder.
Champion Hurdle winner or not I think he'll absolutely trounce Rock on Ruby and co today

Vaniteux (*** Nap) 2/1 may be as good as you'll get.

Last edited:
Doesn't look like there's a Young Master or Mendip Express in the 1245 so I think Alfie Spinner might finally get his nose in front. He's been in excellent form this season.

Clondaw Kaempfer should outrun his odds in the dipper. He's only had the one outing where he unseated but a decent pace and decentish ground will suit. 20 on the machine is excessive

Getting the feeling that Cole Harden might turn the 2 1/2 mile race today into a real test of stamina, this may bring Beat That into the equation, (Taking on trust that he won't need the run).7-1 looks a good each way bet

Last edited:
Have had a little EW bet on Eium Mac of Bycrofts in the 1st at Southwell, noticed him running on well on his 1st visit here lto into 3rdbehind Novalist and a well supported one of Applebys Sleet, doing his best work at the end of that 7f race, the 4th Abmirable Art came out and won at Lingfield this week. Up to a mile this time, has EW possibilities imo, have backed at 16+ on betfair, 12/1 still available.
Old boy General Tufto runs well in January, inc winning this race last year and if in a going mood could be the fly in the ointment.

Getting the feeling that Cole Harden might turn the 2 1/2 mile race today into a real test of stamina, this may bring Beat That into the equation, (Taking on trust that he won't need the run).7-1 looks a good each way bet

Agree about the likely pace, Tiggers, but that would also bring ROR right into it. Though he won well lto it was a nothing pace, and a better lead today should compensate for the slightly worse terms he runs off.

Caid Du Berlais (1.55) won the Paddy Power off just 5lb lower, and though he fell (slipped on landing) lto, he was travelling well at the time. Has an otherwise excellent record around the course, and the current 7/1 looks generous.

Last edited:
I'd give Champagne West a pass on his jumping last time out. Three runner events with no pace was never gonna suit him and he has claims today with a better gallop.

I sort of agree but even when they quickened he was very unsure at a couple....Time will tell.
He's taken a real walk in the place market has Champagne Fever and I never got matched when I tried to place lay him just to keep the record straight.

No time for detailed reasoning.
12.45 Our Father - Will be fitter this time
13.20 Clondaw Kaempfer- unless they play about with this one for handicap purposes is a very decent horse would have won LTO
1.55 Caid du Berlais- same reasoning as Reet.
30 Rolling Maul -Go Roddy!

Have had a little EW bet on Eium Mac of Bycrofts in the 1st at Southwell, noticed him running on well on his 1st visit here lto into 3rdbehind Novalist and a well supported one of Applebys Sleet, doing his best work at the end of that 7f race, the 4th Abmirable Art came out and won at Lingfield this week. Up to a mile this time, has EW possibilities imo, have backed at 16+ on betfair, 12/1 still available.
Old boy General Tufto runs well in January, inc winning this race last year and if in a going mood could be the fly in the ointment.

Happy new year folks!

It's been a lucky race for me, the 1st AW race of the year at Southwell. Put up Credential at 7/1 and General Tufto last year, really can't understand why it was such a big price!

I'd give Champagne West a pass on his jumping last time out. Three runner events with no pace was never gonna suit him and he has claims today with a better gallop.

Jumped like a buck mate except for landing a bit awkwardly at the last..probably just tiredness. Looked like a different horse today and went really short in running...hope you got out ok

For some reason there's no forecast betting on Betfair at least not on my bot. Probably too much racing on so they gave it a miss but not complaining as it would have eaten into my profit.

Thanks Tanlic, and good luck with Gilzean, don't follow the jumpers much these days so excuse me if i don't comment on his chances, but was a great footballer!:lol:

Anything else today can't compare with what just happened at Cheltenham. Roddy Owen will be doing handstands what a cracking race and it was matched at 44 on the machine......I had a sentimental 1 pound on it and 4 pound on some mule just so I could watch it on Betfair :cool:

Rock on Ruby surely too big. Should be fav, I've backed him. Biggest bet of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back