What are you backing Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
INTRANSIGENT E/W very interesting in big handicap tomorrow at Goodwood (3:20).
He won a 90 grand handicap at Ascot in October 2014 on soft ground, he knows what it takes in a big field.
His rating went through the roof afterwards, reaching 110 last season, but he's dropping down the weights now, off 97 here. A few blow outs in small fields so Andrew Balding will be eager to make the most of it. I am keen on him e/w tomorrow. Worth checking the market to see if he's fancied.

Later on Saturday no reason why CAESER THE GEASER shouldn't win again in Redcar's 6:50.
In form, right distance, nice mark. ;)

Good luck.

Last edited:
INTRANSIGENT E/W very interesting in big handicap tomorrow at Goodwood (3:20).
He won a 90 grand handicap at Ascot in October 2014 on soft ground, he knows what it takes in a big field.
His rating went through the roof afterwards, reaching 110 last season, but he's dropping down the weights now, off 97 here. A few blow outs in small fields so Andrew Balding will be eager to make the most of it. I am keen on him e/w tomorrow. Worth checking the market to see if he's fancied.
Good luck.
No conkers for this horse but still think he has a good each way chance, 40's now. Backed accordingly, small stakes obviously.

Last edited:
I think I'm on the worst losing run I've ever been on. My records go back to 1991 and I've never had one this long.

I remember journeying home from work on Sussex day at Goodwood, I'd had three straight winners - Librisa Breeze, Highland Reel and Dutch Connection, all nice prices a/p and I was tingling because I was pretty sure The Gurkha would win and I'd taken 4s after the SJP. Nice.

Since then I've had 26 consecutive losers. What a leveller.

Anyway, I like Lightning Spear today in the big race at Goodwood. The 3yos are too short here. Yes that age group have a great record in the race but a look at the last couple of renewals gives you an indicator of the quality of older horse that typically runs in this race. Shite. LS ran a cracker in the Queen Anne, was given a passenger ride in the Sussex and wasn't that far back in the Marois on ground that was tacky. 7s too big.

Initially I wanted to take Ulysees on at Windsor with Ayrad. The Stoute colt looks a stonewall mile and a half horse to me and this trip brings a question mark. However Ayrad is in the same boat, his run behind King's Fete at Goodwood looks good but that was over 12f. So I'm chancing 5/1 about Foundation. 10f is his optimum trip and I think he's been unfairly maligned. His Dante run is good for this grade and I feel the ground was a bit quick for him at Haydock (where he lost a fair bit of ground at the start.)

GL Euro, I should stick to the fav's in big fields! Oh its all so easy isn't it. ;)

Last edited:
Apart from the odd vent (I went ballistic when Baker fucked up the ride on Shamshon last Saturday at Sandown) my selection process/discipline isn't affected so I know it will turn round.

4.20 goodwood

Code Red 25s PP

I was contemplating putting this one in the comp but I suspect this might be a prep for a busy autumn campaign and he might need softer ground to show his best.

Hopefully a good run on the cards though.

I give a good each way shout to STANGHOW in Thirsk's 3:45 tomorrow. He's had a months break since a below par run, but his three runs prior to that were interesting, especially when he got the better of Majestic Hero and ALPHA DELPHINI in May at Pontefract, (they're now rated 87 and 96 respectively). Alpha Delphini is one that has definitely franked the form, winning valuable handicaps at York and Ascot since. So Stanghow could be a few pounds ahead of the assessor with a rating of 81 ...the question mark is over his last no-show, but my gut feeling is he will bounce back tomorrow.
Its interesting that this Alpha Delphini, a horse Stanghow has beaten, won the Bullet listed race at Beverley yesterday afternoon (at nice odds of 13/2 too), making Alpha a 100+ plus horse. I knew Stanghow was well handicapped the last day off 81, he is on 86 after that.

Stanghow has an entry in a C3 at Ripon on Tuesday night.
Were he to win...... bookies would surely have to show him the respect of actually quoting him for the Ayr Gold Cup...... (he holds an entry). Stanghow is 132 in the list to run, so needs plenty to come out.

A win on Tuesday night at Ripon would see the handicapper raise Stanghow to the 90's, so I'm going to have a tenner each way on with Corals at 66/1 for an anti-post project!

AYR GOLD CUP - STANGHOW 66/1 CORALS

Last edited:
Good luck Marbs, do you think Stanghow is as progressive?

Happy with the run from Code RED despite Co ingredients last. Should put him spot on for the autumn.

Have looked at the cut-off point in recent years.... its been about 95.

He'll need to win well on Tuesday, by 2/3 lengths at least. He needs a minimum of an 8/9 pound rise to even stand a chance of getting in.
Unless of course there's some other winnable race between now and 17th September.
I can't top Nostradamus sadly!

Reality bites! :(

Last edited:
Have looked at the cut-off point in recent years.... its been about 95.

He'll need to win well on Tuesday, by 2/3 lengths at least. He needs a minimum of an 8/9 pound rise to even stand a chance of getting in.
Unless of course there's some other winnable race between now and 17th September.
I can't top Nostradamus sadly!

Reality bites! :(

Ah right. I made the same mistake with Tatlisu before. I was thinking they were going to aim him silver but they could as well be getting weight off for the Bronze.

Good luck hopefully you get that win and go from there.

Good luck hopefully you get that win and go from there.
Cheers, That's the key to it. He needs to stamp his authority on Tuesdays race, then he'd look interesting for the Silver.

Glewrowan Rose is a horse that's been absent for a while, A bushranger filly, she runs Thursday also entered at Ayr. I'm keeping an eye on her aswell.

Last edited:
Plenty of pace in Hamilton's 4.00, which should suit Lincoln Rocks much better than the dawdle and sprint 10f race she ran in latest.

Last edited:
5.00 Worcester
Canicallyouback unlucky to bump into a very well handicapped Croco Bay last time and looks like he's still ahead of the handicapper. Had hoped for a slightly bigger price though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice one, Reet.

Pleased with Stanghow again, ran a cracker in 3rd place beaten 2L by the top weight Pipers Note (rated 95 before today). Stanghows running style is so genuine from the front he's liable to find something with a decisive turn of foot too good in higher class races. A good horse for the trainer to have... but not sure about Ayr. A work in progress.

Last edited:
2.20 Sedgefield Skylander shaped last time as if today's extra distance would be right up his street

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back