What are you backing Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Certainly not taking you on in the 6:30 at York, PlaceBacker, but I just know this one is going to win one of these days, if, and it's a big if, he can learn to trap reasonably well. The other negative is his probable preference for cut in the ground, which he will only get if the possible thunderstorm arrives in time! A notoriously slow starter, as I said. So, an e/w punt for me on Pennsylvania Dutch at the freely available 12-1 at time of writing.

Good luck with yours, a more sensible bet have to say, and I will probably have a saver on it. I'll probably need it!

Fine call that, PB, thought yours was going to win it, but at 14/1 a good e/w bet. Did it e/w as a saver so certainly cut my losses. Thank you.

I've worked out my bet for tomorrow. I couldn't oppose Culturati and Elarqam at York, both worthy favs, I'll be backing them in a win double.

An outsider I think the market is underestimating is Yeah Baby Yeah at Newmarket, (3:25).
Now this is a race I'd take the favourite on in, as I think he's up against it with such huge weight. I'm not overly keen on his main opponents either, and so Gay Kelleways, Yeah Baby Yeah is value at 16/1 even with just the seven runners. She's always been an inconsistent type, so her last two performances need not be taken literally.
Overall, she has shown improvement, winning two races on the bounce a couple months ago. I'll chance her to come back to that form.

Good luck with tomorrow everyone.

Last edited:
Just noticed this morning that the going at York has changed to 'soft'/'good-to-soft' in places. Full effects of the rain did not come in time for Pennsylvania Dutch, not that it would have made any difference to the result as it suited Pomme De Terre just as much, in fact I think PB's choice might well have won it had the heavy rain started earlier?

Good luck with your two at York, Marble, did you work on the ground being good-to-firm when you selected these two? Hope they will go on this changed going for you! Also the Newmarket choice looks a 'bounce-back' possibility, as you suggested.

Whole new ball game at York! Also, the Newmarket ground has changed to 'soft' too!

Last edited:
Think I might just watch on ITV today, but one I've had a modest wager on at 5/1 with PP is She Can Boogie in the first at Chester (14:00). Worst draw, but with only five runners probably won't matter that much? Very speedy and will make them all go, and maybe catch-out a couple of the more fancied ones?

Best of luck with your bets today!

Last edited:
Might seem a kind of perverse logic, but Hydrangea looks to have been trained with the KG in mind, and 16/1 looks extremely generous.

Good luck everyone

4.00 Newmarket-Staxton ​@ 5-2 (Boylesports) BOG

Think he is a horse who is ready to bloom this summer

John Quinn's horses are absolutely flying and his Mr Wagu looks the best of them today but if you back them all ew or otherwise you should come out on top.

Didn't think I would be having a bet today, but I have had an interest in the Group-1 Grosser Dallmayr Preis (3:45) over 1m2f in Munich, and that is on Ed Walker's Stormy Antarctic, ridden by James Doyle who is riding out of his skin at the moment. Stormy won a Group-2 LTO over a mile at Baden-Baden, and I honestly see no reason why he cannot stay this extra 2-furlongs, especially as he should pick-up a bit of stamina on breeding from his damsire, Doyen? Going will be good, perfect ground. Track is flat, fair and galloping, very much shaped like the one in Gt. Yarmouth (that's just my opinion). Benbatl, the probable favourite, will be hard to beat, but I feel that Stormy Antarctic is a sporting bet at around the 7/2 available at time of writing.

Last edited:
Well, Stormy Antarctic (9/2) finished second to 6/4 favourite Benbatl, so he did well in his first Group 1 race over a distance he'd never tried before. No complaints there. Don't know the distance beaten as yet. Nice prize money, 100k Euro for the winner, and 30k Euro for the second. Not bad!

Just saw video of race, favourite dominated and led start-to-finish, won by 2-3/4 lengths. Second stayed on stoutly and ran a very good race, but was no match for the winner. 9-ran.

Just noticed that the straight forecast paid 124/10 on the Pari-Mutuel, wow! Wish I'd thought of that! :rolleyes:
Reason for good payout is the local fans probably could not see last year's winner Iquitos (4th) finishing out of the first two home? Thought myself that this year's renewal was a somewhat better class than the 2017 running?

Last edited:
Modest wager today on Treasure The Ridge in the 15:40 Newton Abbot, at 13/2 with Laddies. Won this race last year under similar conditions, so has a chance if on song.

Last edited:
No bets at Goodwood so far this week, but for interest this afternoon will have an R/F on Al Jellaby & Bathsheba Bay in the first (13:50).

No bets at Goodwood so far this week, but for interest this afternoon will have an R/F on Al Jellaby & Bathsheba Bay in the first (13:50).

I like Al Jellaby, hopefully he can get his head in front Good luck, Bolero.

Last edited:
That was some race at Goodwood just now. The second horse, Maid Up, has ran a huge race.

No luck today, but good days racing again at Goodwood. Annoyed with myself for missing Wild Illusion, backed it twice before during this season. Fine ride by William Buick. Ah well, on to tomorrow.

Marble, like your signature, it's true and does feel that way at times, but someone always comes back on this thread eventually. I like this 'What are you backing Today?' section of the forum, suits me down to the ground, as it covers what I am having a few pennies on. In no way am I qualified to give tips, just love horseracing with most of the fun being backing your own fancies? However, having said that, when a member is strong on a particular horse and gives a good analysis, I enjoy checking it out and often having a bet on it. A great sport, but I will admit that betting sensibly usually takes time and soaks in slowly as one gets older!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back