What are you backing Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't a bad run in fifth for Delusion Of Grandeur. He has to go in the tracker.
Was on the 4 places with skybet ffs - but yrs one to look out for. Yala enki the definition of a perennial misfit ! wrong course , wrong going, sky high in weights - surefire winner we should have seen [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Delusionofgrandeur seemed to be asked to go a stride faster than he was comfortable with from about halfway. He may need more of a stamina test than he got today and softer ground. Let’s not forget he would have been 6th if not for the faller

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah there was a possibility Delusionofgrandeur would be up to winning today but he will surely improve for the run. He was doing the donkey work but at least he looked willing and trying to respond for pressure, and faded gradually as opposed to just going out like a light. Agree with Vikings comments and a drop in class might help too. Given more favourable conditions I'd be looking to back him next time out or even the time after that. I just hope he isn't one of these horses who turns out to be a cliff horse and wins a chase next April, when I have thoroughly burnt my nuts on him by that time.

Last edited:
Am I mad or is doctor Phoneix a huge price today?

Wouldn't have thought connections would run him unless they thought the ground was soft enough for him to perform (he was a NR at Navan on Sunday). Looked to be running a huge race over 2m4f at fairyhouse against UDS at Easter.

Sent from my SM-G360F using Tapatalk

What's your thoughts on For Good Measure in the opener tomorrow? Dropped 2lbs for last run...will this be punted or will it be softly softly?

Saturday [2.25 Cheltenham]

A couple of outsiders appeal each way to outrun their odds

West Approach @ 16-1 [William Hill] 6 Places & Javert @ 25-1 [Ladbrokes]

Cheltenham 3.00 Sweet Home Chicago 14/1 - This race doesn’t look too competitive other than that there are a few unknown quantities in it. However, I wonder if Sweet Home Chicago might be another Abolitionist in that there may be a case for saying his form is vastly better than his rating and under the old guidelines maybe the handicapper would have been tempted to bump him up at least a stone. He’s certainly the only one I’d consider backing in the race and the double-digit price makes it very much worth any risk involved. Last time at Galway he won a seemingly modest conditions hurdle. Rated 115 at the time, he gave the third (OR 124) 20lbs, including that latter’s claim, and a 15-length beating. A literal interpretation of that puts him on 156, which seems ridiculous. The runner-up didn’t have an OR on the day, which makes me wonder if the handicapper has chosen to ignore the third. However, dig a little deeper and you’ll see that the runner-up had been a 150 chaser and 135 hurdler not too long ago. That 135 rating would make Sweet Home Chicago a 148 hurdler, plus the notional 6lbs rise for coming here, ie 154. Maybe that 156 isn’t too ridiculous after all. Even if it’s only half-right, it still makes him 17lbs well in. I might be miles wrong but I’m more than happy to pay to find out.

Last edited:
Looked at Lingfield's listed sprint from various angles, and am drawn to the invariable conclusion; Muthmir (17/2) should have too much speed for these over this sharp 6f.

I've got Verdana Blue (9/2) as the main bet in the Greatwood. I was seriously tempted to go in double-strength but there doesn't seem much in the way of market confidence and it's only a week since the Elite but she's a good thing on her best form, I reckon.

Verdana Blue has a favourites chance for sure. He has to be on the premises at the business end. If The Cap Fits will turn out to be a good horse. This is a tricky handicap though. There will be horses who have been plotted up for this race from after their flat maidens three years ago, ucchhmm: Nietzsche). As I say, Verdana Blue will surely run well, but there's no guarantees he will have his head in front at the finish line, me thinkz.

Last edited:
Charli Parcs interests me in the Greatwood.
On a line through Claimon.... he's close to Western Ryder who is a fair bit shorter and I think you could argue that as a horse who goes well fresh he may not have been at his best at Ayr.

There will be horses who have been plotted up for this race from after their flat maidens three years ago, ucchhmm: Nietzsche).

I can't believe you're being serious with that remark, Marble, even if it did win.

Have a wee think about exactly what you're saying.

I was clearly exaggerating DO, to emphasize why Verdana Blue would probably run into a place, but bump into a better handicapped horse on Sunday, which he did.

Was on the 4 places with skybet ffs - but yrs one to look out for. Yala enki the definition of a perennial misfit ! wrong course , wrong going, sky high in weights - surefire winner we should have seen [emoji23]

DelusionOfGrandeur could run at your local track Haydock on Saturday Geoff in the 3:35, The Betfair Handicap Chase. He has been dropped four pounds which is good, has had the fitness sharpener. 20/1 top price with Ladbrokes in the anti post market. I may have a sporting bet on.

Last edited:
I'm sorely tempted to oppose Scotland tonight (v Israel) at odds-on.

A small number of players are carrying the side but they're overall a pretty poor side with a lot of high-profile call-offs due to the manager's poor handling of some situations and ill-judged comments.

Beating Albania away 0-4 looks good on paper but we were seriously flattered by the result. They got a man sent off fairly early and we got a penalty for nothing. The only good thing about the performance was Forrest's goal.

Robertson is the only long-term player. McGregor in goals was reprieved after disgracing himself a number of years ago and was banned from ever playing again... until McLeish got the job. Brown retired from international football for the second time after Strachan quit. Tierney and several other first-team regulars are out injured (they say...) while the rumours abound that they're refusing to play for McLeish. I've heard further whispers that McLeish's mental health is in question but don't know whether to believe them. He's certainly even less articulate now than in his first stint.

Israel are no great shakes but neither are we and it's a game that could go either way, I reckon. Whoever gets the breaks on the night will probably win and maybe it will be Scotland with home advantage and foul weather but they're certainly not betting material in my opinion.

Last edited:
Dont think hes good enough for that one Martin, politologue a better outsider i think - am going the meeting, always a good one. Any1 else going ?

Post edit: ahh sorry the handicap, yes defo be on that if hes on

Last edited:
Reckon Flaming Spear 6.40K 7/2 will have too much toe for Straight Right, and he looks the bet in this.

Ascot 2.40
Cover de Mai looks to have a decent each way chance here. He won’t mind the ground but a slight concern that Harry Skelton rides the dodge pot Value at Risk. Hopefully nothing in that and they prefer to claim the 10lb off CdM. Happy to take the chance at 9/1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've taken the three favourites in the last three handicaps at Ascot.

It's very unlike me to be backing favourites but the truth is that I don't look at the betting until after I've done the form.

All three strike me as good favourites.

Royal Regatta has clearly had his issues but is on a winnable mark having beaten Kylemore Lough at levels in the Stella race at this meeting two years ago. He has a King George entry which suggests he’s not disappointing at home.

Minella Daddy was my main bet in the Whitbread and this race is a long way off that level. Whatever happened at Sandown I don't know but he was never going.

Chatez has a similar advantage over the field as Speedo Boy did at the weekend based on his Flat ability. He just needs to prove he can translate it back over hurdles.

Dont think hes good enough for that one Martin, politologue a better outsider i think - am going the meeting, always a good one. Any1 else going ?

Post edit: ahh sorry the handicap, yes defo be on that if hes on

Delusionofgrandeur one of six declared, Geoff. Into 8/1 now.

Last edited:
Chatez has a similar advantage over the field as Speedo Boy did at the weekend based on his Flat ability. He just needs to prove he can translate it back over hurdles.

Flying Tiger interested me as he's on a workable mark now but he needs a big field really, or at least a couple of front runners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back