What are you backing Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I lost 4 figures but have only myself to blame. I decided I would have 20 quid on every mount Rachael had at the meeting you can guess the rest......sick as a parrot glad it's over worst Cheltenham I have had in years..Cant wait for next year

Toy Theatre (7.15) has been a revelation since teamed up with Jane Elliot, dotting up in 2 valuable AW handicaps. Effectively dropping in class from her Kempton win, has every chance of completing the hat-trick. Fav could be anything, so could constitute a danger, but nothing a f/c saver wouldn't cover.
7/2 generally.

Last edited:
American E/W 11/1 Hills 7 places a bet for me today. Ground in his favour. Course form and has the class to see them off today. Noel Fehily storyline a plus too I hope.....

Wasn’t going to have a bet today but Diger Daudaie in the 1.50 Uttoxeter looks to have a great chance. 6/1 taken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers fellas. A terrific ride by Abbie McCain. I thought Bryony would get past after her horse got going again after hitting a flat spot but Abbie held on well

I'm at down royal now and negative vibes for mala beach around 2.0. in the 4.50 I've layed it fairly hard.

5.25 down royal. Burning ambition. It's around 2.35 on the exchange. Some on course bookies are going 10/11 while it's 6/5 - 11/10 off course. I was backing this to win anyway but there is piles of on course money for it. Had a few quid win with boyles @ 6/5 and still backing it on the exchange 2.35/2.36.

8.15 Wolves, Phosphor, had a fairly big win bet on this. Got 10/11 in ladbrokes and skybet. The only danger according to the bookies is Global Prospector which is 11/4 -5/2. I have a feeling Global Prospector will improve over time but I can't see Phosphor getting beat tonight.

7.45 Wolves, Tour De Paris around. Not liking the horse at all I think it's last win was way over rated and at 3.55 I'll have a nice lay on it. I highly doubt it will follow up on it's last win.

Last edited:
Thanks Luke, the winners were much needed. I had a dire Cheltenham. Had a good first day at the festival even after benie des dieux falling, the second day was pretty good too, then it all went downhill and any profits turned to losses so playing catch up now trying to recoup losses.
Could do with the one going in here in the 8.15 to cap off a very good day.

2.35 Limerick, Western Victory, it's about 2.06 for the lay place. I cant' see the horse winning, I'm hoping it won't be placed either.

Good luck to anyone betting today!

2.45 Carlisle, The Last Day, horse is short enough at around 1.65 but even at that price I'm very happy to take it. Couple of good 2nds and should be way too classy for this small field. Fairly heavy win bet.

Last 2 bets of the day for me.

3.10 Limerick, carefully selected. The horse is getting backed like defeat is out of the question. It's around 1.42, but I'm laying this today. The horse has been off for a year and I don't think the race will take much winning. Being honest I don't really like the 2nd fav too, captain cj so I'm hoping something at a big price will cause of bit of a shock.

3.20 Carlisle, Dorking ****. I backed it last time out and I thought it was a good win. It's around 1.88 today and I'll take that, having a decent win bet on it.

That's it from me for the day. Good luck

Navan. 3:30 Hotel Du Nord (WIN)

It's point to point form over 3 miles, the return to heavy ground, step up in trip, and weight allowance, give
this a much stronger chance than the opening show of 15/2.

Max bet.

Last edited:
1.45 Newbury
A decent little race where I think Breaking Waves can continue progress. He looks the value at around 4/1

Really like the look of Fire Fighting today 3.50 Lingfield. Ran 3rd behind todays fav Petite Jack 1st time out, but barely had a race, race was run at a dawdle which clearly wouldn't suit him, got done for toe at the bend when race developed into a sprint, but horse absolutely sluiced through them in the final furlong and jockey under a gentle ride did well just to get 3rd, has 6lbs pull with Petite Jack today and even on the bare form should turn the tables on that one. 5/1 now was 6/1-13/2 last night.

Ling 4:55 Widnes - He hinted at having ability the past of couple of seasons, though couldn't quite deliver on the promise he showed. Now returns after a wind operation and a recent break; seems to be on a very handy mark too.

Last edited:
I posted this in the wrong thread first. I guess there isn't a proper place for someone such as myself going all out and putting my 50c on every second thing I like the look of. However, it's late, I had it typed up and I don't want to see it wasted so I'll post it here because it seems more of a proper thread for it.

---

Being as I'm new and professed my lack of ability in the greetings thread, I figured I should prove said lack of ability. Most of the reason I'm making any bet is to occupy myself, it fills an evening with looking at the cards and an another afternoon with getting excited/annoyed at the race. I know I've bet on far too many races, but it'll see me through a Saturday when I've not much else to do. And if I can keep my losing tempered by the occasional place, I'll be able to keep to my weekly budget (in other words, bookies love me.)

This is what I've got down for tomorrow, along with my own notes that I even have to work to interpret for myself. Although you should know for some of these, when I look back over the card, I either have no clue what I was saying, or the logic of the moment

Newbury - 14:05 - Marchilhac - 33/1 E/W - 2pts
Lots of equality in lower numbers. PU while in position in only race in 18 months, good shout due to earlier-career form if odds right - (I think here I was saying that as an outside chance the horse might do well with everything else being on par, while it had a look in barring circumstances in other races. I think a good third of the bet, having done a bit of reading and seeing the odds its getting, was just seeing the horse mentioned somewhere.)

Thurles - 14:20 - State of Cognac - 8/1 E/W - 2pts
Ran over further distance, has possibility with lower weight than favourite, needs the slightly slower ground I’m predicting from (the not accounted for today) rain, Improved from 2018 Season in 2019

Kelso - 14:25 - Joke Dancer - 5/1 - 2pts
Won at lower prizes, won after not raced in a while. Form says can finish strong which is a good win shout depending on odds. - Opened at 5/1, amongst others, go with gut. (I wanted to let this drift, but seeing it open just around the price I thought it'd get had me backing myself.)

Newbury - 14:40 - Idilico 12/1 E/W - 2pts
Never won a low entry race, but always close, finishes well. Has to beat one or two more proven horses but seems a shout with others poor

Newbury - 14:40 - Chaparral Prince - 10/1 E/W - 2pts
Sometimes close in lower entry races, good second in higher prize with same ground, jockey and trainer in good form (I'm betting on two horses to either place or one to win here, which might not be the wisest thing)

Newbury - 15:15 - A Little Chaos - 22/1 E/W - 2pts
Improving horse that has done well at weight if not over distance. Probably an outside shout, but has proven they can win recently (It's entirely possible I mistook this with Some Chaos in the 3pm at Kelso, and justified it after. I seem to have written this down in my notes as a take at 5/1 odds, when it started much further than that. On the other hand Some Chaos is 9/2 but I'm far too close to my budget to jump at it.)

Thurles - 15:30 - Lischlogher Lad - 5/1 - 2pts
Heavy weight, old horses, but looks like the only horse with experience and some form for the distance and conditions. Does well in chases so don’t know what it’s like on hurdles. Might be too old and too much weight. Can see an outsider winning this with so much in the air. (I had written down I'd take this at 7/1, but at 5/1 I figured I needed a few closer shots on my day's betting, just for adrenaline's worth)

Thurles - 15:30 - Glenmalure Lodge - E/W - 12/1- 2pts
Pulled up twice, always with low weights, like this race. Has run longer races and been respectable. Last race bodes well, but ground is variance

Thurles - 16:40 - Sizing Rome - 3/1 - 2pts
Did well in big price race, depends on getting around at heavy weight, looks good (I had this down as the favourite and my second pick as longer odds to take, when it went in with that favourite and this second I took this at the slightly longer, but still short odds to have something to shout at the telly.)

Kelso - 16:45 - Craig Star - 13/2 2pts
Had better previous Seasons, seems to stay well in a race, could be an each way place in a poor race, ground might suit with drying (took it to win when I saw the odds, although I probably should have hung on to see if it drifted)

Thurles - 17:15 - You Can’t Catch Me - 20/1 E/W - 2pts
EW Potential, has come outside places in races before, probably has a race in him if the trainer can show it, drier ground is a potential benefit as well. Back if odds are decent (I said I'd take this at 16/1 so when the price was 20/1 I took it. It'll probably drift but I have no nerve.)

My apologies for mangling the terminology.

Last edited:
Ling 4:55 Widnes - He hinted at having ability the past of couple of seasons, though couldn't quite deliver on the promise he showed. Now returns after a wind operation and a recent break; seems to be on a very handy mark too.

My other two tomorrow are both at Kelso. (Kelso 2:25). Saint Leo. A former Macaire horse...could be very leniently handlcapped, you get the impression he will go close sooner rather than later.

Kelso (3:35). Seemorelights - Another unexposed runner who is a course winner. He was staying on well the last day before falling. This is a more valuable prize so I reckon he's in-it to win it! :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back