What are you backing Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice one, Col. :)

I feel Don't Stare will win today at Yarmouth. (4:10). Seemed to like this place on his first maiden start last year as a three year old, Fawshawe is the type of trainer to eak out a bit more improvement from him.

Yar 5:10 - Question marks over The Ducking Stools ability to stay but does like the track and has form in class 5's whereas his opponents look dangerous but their form is at a lower level...so they have to improve whereas The Ducking Stool just has to stay. I'm with The Stool :)

Lingfield 5:20 - A chance is taken on Topaling first time in a handicap.

GL

Last edited:
Is the July meeting the mid point of the flat? I always think it's a bit poncey and false and it makes me yearn a bit for the jumps.

I think Hillstar is overpriced in the POW though. Despite Arab Spring's undoubted promise it was only a handicap he won at the royal meeting and he was well placed throughout. Hillstar was given a stinker in th Hardwicke though and is better than his finishing position suggests. Worth one at 7/2ish

Forever Now couldn't fail but impress when winning last time out.

The handicapper has given him a mark of 96 1lb higher than Windshear raced of at Ascot.

Windshear was raised to 101 after Ascot but the bookies disagree and make Forever Now favourite despite the fact Altaayil has let the form down since.

Windshear looked all over the winner at Ascot and a good one at that until Fallon produced Elite Army to come and mow him down.

That form looks rock solid with Captain Morley in 3rd and Forever Now as smart as he clearly looked will find Windshear a totally different kettle of fish to anything he has met to date.

Windshear around 3/1 looks a good bet to start the meeting

Someone suggested the other day that Richard Hannon's best 2 year old is Baitha Alga but that may change after today when Ivawood hacks up.

Maybe I am being overconfident and I have been wrong before but this horse looked like a machine first time out.

The race was over 5f and he will be even more at home over today's 6 furlongs. I was hoping to get about 2/1 not the current 3/1 so I have been lumping on at 4.4 and 4.3 on the machine because there was fortunes for him at Sandown so I doubt if he'll go off unbacked today.

Ivawood (NAP)

I wondered if Hillstar would go for the Eclipse or not but as it turns out he goes here.

Stouty did try him over 10 furlongs but he failed to make any sort of impression at the trip and was stepped up to 13 furlongs.

He ran well enough but at no stage looked like getting to Brown Panther and he was giving it his all.

I don't know if I agree with Euronymous about Frankies ride but he did hit a bit of trouble in running but when Frankie switched him to the outer it took him forever and a day to pass what were tiring horses. He wouldn't have gotten anywhere near Telescope even if Frankie's challenge hadn't been delayed IMO.

Peppers Moon who he pipped on the line for 2nd was very keen early. Should he settle today there's no guarantee Hillstar will beat him this time.

I'm having a small 3 cross bet on Hughsies first 3 mounts just in case.

Arab Spring probably isn't as good as Hillstar's conqueror Telescope but he seems to be improving with racing and should take this in his stride.

Arab Spring 11/10 looks a worth favourite and the most likely winner

Last edited:
Arab Spring probably isn't as good as Hillstar's conqueror Telescope but he seems to be improving with racing and should take this in his stride.

Arab Spring 11/10 looks a worth favourite and the most likely winner

He probably will now it's pissing down. July meeting, its cracking the flags where I am, I just didn't expect it to be raining at headquarters.

Last edited:
Starlet in the 9 o clock at Leopardstown is the most interesting runner of the week for me.An obvious candidate for a maiden at Galway where she would be a penalty kick I am surprised Weld is running her tonight -I doubt he is looking for a handicap mark at the moment and that leaves two possibilities-1) she needs more experience or 2) she is listed class or better.My money is on her being much better then tonight's opposition-I expect her to win under a confident Smullen ride.

Good call. Did it very well. Have you taken a price for the Guineas?

Cheers Archie,

I haven't backed him for the Guineas. He's a cracking horse but despite David Cleary and Richard Hannon now saying he's something special I just prefer The Wow Signal.

It'll be some race if the two meet in the Gimcrack and I don't know which one I would bet if they do meet.........I would imagine at the trip Ivawood might just have the edge but over a mile I'd be with The Wow Signal.

A slight worry with Ivawood is he's a half brother to Berkshire who didn't train on but my main worry is he's a flying machine and may not get the trip despite his breeding

There's not much to go on with the Wow Signal's breeding.His dam never raced but his grand dam did win over a mile. He's got Secretariat and Northern Dancer in his blood and John Quinn thinks he already needs 7f and is more than hopeful he'll get the mile.

Hopefully they won't clash until the Guineas and both remain unbeaten this season which will make for plenty of debate

SMS is famed for his patience, and it's unusual for him to run a horse within a week of a previous win.
However, Royal Seal (3.15, Nm) needed a penalty to ensure a run for this valuable prize. Duly lifted over 7f at Sandown, but the speed he showed over 5f previously (unlucky when boxed and hampered) suggests tomorrow's test won't be a problem.

Chester 8.50. King Of Eden. W&P 35/65 split at betfair sp.

I put this up on the 3rd July when it was withdrawn because of the going change. I was then surprised to find whilst I was away it ran on soft ground

Drawn 13 of 13 today, gives it little chance of winning, but there are already 2 n/r's and I feel he has a realistic chance of placing a least and it would be no surprise to see more n/r's before post time. Even with Dr Red Eye out, there should still be plenty of pace on to suit a hold up.

Fieldgunner Kirkup looks a big galloping sort to me so may well struggle from stall 1.

Staggered bet on the exchange loading the place part.

Smarty Socks 7.35 Donc. Usually needs 3 runs before his annual win.Down in grade,down in
weight and Danny Tudhope back on board for first time this season.Should run close unless age taking its toll.

Epsom 8-25 Compton - Seems to get the 7 furlongs well, perhaps Epsom will suit this horse more than most tracks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back