What are you backing Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks all!!!

Really interesting handicap the Ripon 4.00pm to get your teeth into today.

I got the distinct impression Dutch Breeze has had just about enough racing for the season at York. He may well go off favourite but I'm tempted to place lay him.

George Chaloner replaces David Nolan for the 2nd day running. I thought he made way too much use of the horse at Chester. A half stride steadier with the same kick as he turned for home and he may well have won but as it turned out he had got into a race to lead with Quantum Dot from the word go and was legless for the last 1/2 furlong. It wasn't a bad run as he did finish 3rd whereas his co conspirator faded into 8th but with a more sensible ride today he must go close.

I could see Innocently reversing placing with Lexington Rose and Dutch Breeze and he destroyed Noble Asset at Catterick but he's been heavily penalised for that. He have a chance if he can get an easy lead of a few lengths but that is unlikely.

Noble Asset would have to reverse placing with half the field here and John Quinn's are running well at all at the moment. Noble Asset could win but he'd need a couple to underperform.

Omaha Gold's fitness has to be taken on trust and it's my take that if she was fit enough to win they'd have found worse race than this to have a go in.

Pushkin Museum held his form well last season once he got the hang of thing and I can see no reason to think this season will be any different. He's still a bit gangly looking and there's scope for improvement so I'll stick with him.

Pushkin Museum 5/1 EW looks the safest bet in a very competitive race.

Last edited:
On breeding, Special Fighter (3.15 Catt) is no certainty to get this trip, and with Tinseltown in the race, won't be gifted the easy lead he had at Beverley.
I'll take him on with Gambol, whom George Baker thought had improvement in her when winning at Donny, and makes the long trip North for this sole ride of the day.

Pont 4:40
Kiwi bay (NAP) has hit some real good form, raised 5 pound after his last race where he and another Dod's runner Osteopathic Remedy went a couple lengths clear of the rest. As with Thirsk last time he races at another sharp track in Pontefract tomorrow and looks a favourite with a strong chance.

5:10
Le Laitier was quite consistent last year. He's one of three horses in this race to have actually won a race this season. The other previous winners are the top weight Centre Haafhd and Sartori. Whilst Le Laitier has been hit and miss this season, he did win at Redcar nicely. I'm hoping to catch him on a going day. I think he's got more to offer. At double figure prices he's worth chancing.

Ling
Each one of Dark Tsarina's first half a dozen starts have been absoloutely shocking, but the last fifth place here at Lingfield, beaten four lenths looks like an eyecatching run. She had visors on which have been left off tomorrow and replaced with cheekpieces, but gosh she's low in the weights with a 7 pound claimer on too. Worth watching in the betting.

Small patent & each way treble for me for a bit of fun.

Last edited:
I'm opposing Simon Walker on John Quinn's hot pot in the first at Ponte today. John's horses seem to be running a bit below par at the moment.

Obboorr could be the one to beat him.. You can forget his last run it was run in torrential rain and half the field finished legless.

The time before he got one of the worst rides I have ever seen. Mr K Wood had him in a perfect position in about 5th early but lost his position at every turn. He was actually about 5 lengths in front of the eventual winner when they set out but turning for home he had Pucked up so badly during the race he found himself behind the same horse and having to come round the outside of him and widest of all.

He still looked to have half a chance on the outer of the winner but with half a furlong to go he decided to switch to the inside of him when clearly there was another horse directly in front of him.

I normally wouldn't touch anything John(NOT SNOWY) Wainwright trained with a barge pole but if he gets a half decent ride in receipt of a stone he should go close.

Obboorr currently 6/1

Last edited:
If you replace Oasis Mirage with Mick Channon's Narborough who couldn't get near the former he'd be a short priced favorite to win the 7.50 at Yarmouth so I shudder to think what Oasis Mirage will do to this lot.

He's 5/6 with Hills which looks great value despite being odds on.

He has a 6lb penalty to carry but I doubt if 16 lbs would stop him. If I was going to use the word certainty I'd use it on him.

Oasis Mirage 5/6 *****

Great Stuff Marble,

Never bothered with Le Laitier..!! lol

Term Shitebag springs to mind (me) LOL

Kicking myself bigtime.

Well done again.

Thanks guys, don't kick yourself mate, we've all been there!

Last edited:
Newcastle
7:45
I was sweet on Tamayuz Magic at first although at times I'm not sure how the 3yo handicap form translates against the older horses. A better one to do is the Tracy Waggot trained No Quarter E/W. Ran well last time carrying ten stone, I can't fault how consistent he is, especially last year, I reckon he has a strong chance of getting in the frame. Big field, cut in the ground, can make the difference.

8:15
A race where five or six have strong claims, but I'm going for Mission Impossible (NB) who looks really strong for the win. A multiple CD winner who can take all the beating, making it a good evening for the trainer.

Leopardstown
8:00
The key thing here is this looks like it could be a tactical affair. Lots of hold up horses, so I'm going for Massini's Trap (NAP) who showed some tactical speed when winning two races this season. Displayed some decent form over hurdles also. The flat is where he seems to be putting his best foot forward now. Ran in a valuable event last time where he never really got going, but worth siding with him again tomorrow.

Last edited:
Cracking picks yesterday, Marb. :)

Mythical Madness (7.25) sauntered home in a well-run Windsor maiden, and should show substantial improvement for this much stiffer track.

weird betting in the 3.00 at Yarmouth, some bookies opened up around 6-1 on Champagne Charlie, now into evens with bet365 and 6-4 ish with most, however some are still around 7-2, and betfair is showing 5.8 at the moment. Unless I'm missing something don't think I've seen such a wide variations of prices for a short priced horse before

Edit: Bang in trouble another in the 2.30, 5.2 BF, 6/4 bookies

Saw someone post on Twitter they were considering a Monster lay on Champagne Charlie when they saw 6/5 - then a lol when they saw the 5.8 on Betfair.
I'm guessing he's 5.8 on Betfair for a good reason.......

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back