What Are You Listening To Now?

Muse - Black holes and revelations. Disappointing when measured against their earlier stuff. Doesn't have that edgy feel.

Some terrible muzak whilst i wait for Orange to tell me what the hell they have done with my upgrade.

Rufus Wainwright - Want One

Wow, has to be one of the best album I've heard this year. Not everyone's cup of tea, definitely worth listening to if you are interested in something different.

Leonard Cohen - Best of

Went to see Ed Harcourt yesterday, he was immense - played a superb set! He deserves much much more recognition. Instead we get garbage such as X factor and all that.

A friend of mine gets radio and gig bookings for up-and-coming artistes, so I went with her to see a young New Yorker, Nell Bryden, perform at Joogleberry's cabaret club here in Brighton a few nights back. Nell has a very lovely range of voice in an Eva Cassidy-ish way, acoustic guitar, writes her own stuff. The fact that she's tall, slim, and blonde doesn't hurt either. Got a free CD to remind me of her set.

I was really annoyed that a group of people who came in talked and laughed loudly all over her set, though. When I complained to the owner, all she did was to say 'well, this is a cabaret club and they're paying customers, so that happens'. I pointed out that at two bottles of champagne down, I wasn't exactly freeloading, so she changed her tack to 'well, it's up to the artist to bring in more people' - as if the club had no responsibility for advertising the shows. No wonder it's so hard for folks to get known with attitudes like that.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - The Dead Flag Blues (From f#a#oo)

"The Car is on fire and there`s no driver at the wheel
and the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides
...and a dark wind blows."

Perfection.

Euro - sounds like an issue for Environmental Health. I'd get them round to check the drains as soon as possible - you don't want the odd errant, rotting hand popping up in the loo, do you?

Ian Brown - Solarized . A friend did a cd of this for me ages ago and I've had it on the ipod forever and have never listened to it . Played it last week and I'm totally hooked on The Sweet Fantastic and One Way Ticket to Paradise . Great album , sorry I havn't played it sooner .
Definitely recommend it , get on Limewire now :D So chilled out , Sweet Fantastic is gorgeous

Superb album and song, Jules!

At the moment the cracking of thunder is overriding most other noises - that and the sound of it hacking down outside! I love a good thunderstorm and we really need one at the moment, it's been muggy as hell lately....

Back