What Are You Listening To Now?

One of the best quids you'll ever spend - an outstanding career highlight from the wry, dry, filthy, misanthropic mind of Stephin Merritt.

Seeing the entire 69 Love Songs being played over the course of two evenings at Hammersmith Lyric Theatre nigh on a decade ago remains one of the best concerts I've ever been to - even if a rasping Peter Gabriel coming on to do an The Book Of Love at the encore wasn't exactly a triumph.

There's been at least four Magnetic Fields albums since 69 Love Songs, plus a welter of spin-offs, solo projects and soundtracks (from arthouse production Eban and Charlie to the entire Lemony Snicket franchise - Snicket, aka Daniel Handler, plays accordion for Merritt whenever necessary).

The Magnetic Fields are briefly touring the UK in April in support of another new album - I'm hoping to catch them at the RNCM in Manchester on the last Friday in April. First single from it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf_l3EGQvL8&ob=av3n

gc

I sat staring at the screen for ages after watching that - extraordinary. He's a right card, that Stephin! Thanks for link.

Mansun can't believe how good a singer mister harper was and i've only just become a fan great live looking on utube.

More ethereal/dreamy than their last release which was quite up tempo for them. They'll never top Takk... again but I'm liking it so far.

Gin Blossoms - Congratulations, I'm Sorry and New Miserable Experience - seriously underrated band and singer's voice to die for. Their 'jolly melancholy' sound is reminiscent of side 2 of The Queen Is Dead

I've never listened to him much..maybe one to check out..which i tend to a bit now..go back and fill in the stuff i missed out on..of which there is a lot

I was mainly into UK stuff...but I really liked Nils Lofgren a lot in the 70's..still think he is a very underrated guy

Back