What Are You Listening To Now?

Thanks archie; just listened to it. Really enjoyed it.I'm so old I've got the LP of the soundtrack of Easy Rider! Now want to listen to some Primal Scream but can't get onto utube these days.

icebreaker; I've just bought all 3 Goat albums [thought that, if I bought just one, the tracks I liked would be on one of the others]. The artwork is fantastic. They're bringing out a 'live' album but, as I pointed out to the guy at HMV [yes folks, I still buy my 'records' from 'record shops'!] one of the things about Goat are the visual images..not sure if I'd enjoy the music as much if I didn't have that image of them in my head. I agree about the female vocals; very weak and tinny, but not sure what I'd replace them with. Somehow makes me think of the two girls in The Human League, with visions of them being picked out of the audience for their dancing skills and then being told, 'errr, do you mind dancing with this strange costume on'.They remind me a bit of Amadou and Mariam [the group, not the girls], who I always play when the weather gets hot [and have been doing so recently].Also bought both Django Django cd's and, having listened to the Byrds programme last night their harmonies are very West Coast'ish [imo]. Programme about Ginger Baker on Imagine last night; missed it but will watch on catchup. Also bought FFS but haven't listened to it yet. Saw Franz Ferdinand,Rakes and Editors in Nottingham a few years back for £20; what value...was a great night.

Programme about Ginger Baker on Imagine last night; missed it but will watch on catchup. Also bought FFS but haven't listened to it yet.
I wouldn't bother unless you want to listen to a cantankerous old man whining and bitching about how the everyone has done him wrong and how the world owes him a living. Baker must be the most singularly dislikeable man in Rock; little wonder Jack Bruce couldn't stand him.
I watched it last night; it's an hour of my life I won't get back.

FFS don't work for me, I'm afraid; not my genre at all. :)

FFS good fun; quite like the cd. Want to see Goat live but they don't seem to be performing over here in the near future. First album I ever bought was Santana's 'Abraxus'; they remind me a bit of that. Must listen to that again; very ahead of it's time..would probably like it more now than I did back then [think I bought it for the cover more than anything].

FFS good fun; quite like the cd. Want to see Goat live but they don't seem to be performing over here in the near future. First album I ever bought was Santana's 'Abraxus'; they remind me a bit of that. Must listen to that again; very ahead of it's time..would probably like it more now than I did back then [think I bought it for the cover more than anything].
My first impression of Goat was Fleetwood Mac's Tusk crossed with early Santana (Jingo).

Drone; can't get utube any more. Computer says 'no'. At least I've got catchup on my telly now but links and utube are out of bounds. And can't get a new computer cause I've been told to wait till Windows 10 is out. Can't even get onto The Racing Post site these days. Agree about Tusk. All 3 Goat cd's seem to be the same, although one is live [and is actually the best]. One of them is written in Swedish so I don't know if it's the same or not [as most of the music sounds similar...].Strangely enough, it's the live one that's the best. Great car music.

If you have Windows 7 or 8 then you'll be able to get a free upgrade to 10 when it's released; so no need for a new computer unless like me you're still using XP

Apparently my PC should have become infected with all sorts of virtual pathogens since Microsoft stopped updates for XP; but no it's just as slick 'n' smooth as it's ever been though I may be tempted to upgrade to a Windows Teenager...whenever

Last edited:
Did watch the Ginger Baker documentary last night and must say I found it fascinating [albeit being a tad too long].Hadn't realised he'd actually put Cream together. Sounds as if his early childhood very much shaped him, and boys that lose one or both of their parents can become very angry in a physical way. Also wonder if he's somewhere 'on the spectrum'? Neil Young in another documentary once said [even though he's the complete opposite with regards to the way he's treated his family over the years] 'it's all about the music'. Certainly the case with Ginger.

Thought Avicii was brilliant at T in the park last night. Annoyingly missed half of it as I was watching on the red button.

Thought Avicii was brilliant at T in the park last night. Annoyingly missed half of it as I was watching on the red button.

So we're kasabian on Friday night
Best British band of the last 10 years I would say.

Not sure about Tom's latest look though [fat and balding]. I know this makes me sound old [which I am] but they are very very loud and it's impossible to hear what they're playing half the time, even though I know most of their songs inside out and back to front. Only band I can think of that make albums with no duff tracks whatsoever. Like that Mouse something or other band that were on the red button last night. Still desperate to see Goat play live. Keep playing their album to people who haven't seen them who can't understand why I like them so much. My ex went to see Robert Plant play; on Saurday. Can't wait to hear what they were like.

...Modest Mouse. Also trying to listen to some Primal Scream after listening to The Byrds documentary the other night.

...Modest Mouse. Also trying to listen to some Primal Scream after listening to The Byrds documentary the other night.

Personally I would highly recommend Primal Scream's Xtrmntr album.
It can take a few listens though so give it a chance!

I'm hoping to borrow my SIL's Primal Scream cd's when they go on holiday in a week or so [he's got load of them].

Found Django Django on catchup; hadn't realised they'd played Glastonbury. Keep losing it though [not sure why] so playing it on a loop. Will save me going to see them later in the year.

Gaz Coombes album The Matador is amazing! Never much rated Supergrass but this is far better than anything they did as a band. Girl who fell to Earth is a beautiful song

First 3 Santana albums are classics..my favourite album of theirs is Caravanserai...a must have if you like them. I bought that album out of my first weeks wages when it hadn't been out long.

Another album from that time period is ..Last Of The Red Hot Burritos..by the Flying Burrito Brothers..superb live album.

Last edited:
I bought the first Santana album on my first overseas holiday (Majorca 1970). Ground-breaking stuff at the time.

If you liked the Flying Burrito Brothers, it's well worth checking out other work by Chris Hillman, the ultimate folk/country rock musician. Particularly good examples on Stephen Stills Manassas.

Hopefully, now that Windows 10 is out [or nearly out] I can get a new computer and get utube up and running again. It's so annoying not being able to check out different stuff. I'm still listening to GOAT; it's surprisingly good for driving to.

I bought the first Santana album on my first overseas holiday (Majorca 1970). Ground-breaking stuff at the time.

If you liked the Flying Burrito Brothers, it's well worth checking out other work by Chris Hillman, the ultimate folk/country rock musician. Particularly good examples on Stephen Stills Manassas.

cheers Archie..i'll check that out

tbh i never really bothered with their other albums it was the live one that really captured the moment in the summer of 1972

The Carlos Santana with John McLaughlin album is pretty good too..and the live Santana/Buddy Miles.

Last edited:
Back