What are you watching

This BBC4 series Kim Philby... His Most Intimate Betrayal is brilliant. i thought the Philby thing had been done to death but this series is way better than anything I've ever seen on the subject before.

The programme about Brian Eno looked interesting last night as well. I thought I'd seen it before but hadn't, although unfortunately nodded off half way through. Might see if it's on catchup.

Listening at the moment, but will be recording when the TV coverage starts in a minute - the VE Day concert on radio 2 / BBC 1. Sounds good so far.....

I'm currently watching boxing on Sky Sports 2. Another really competitive card from Eddie Hearn. :D
KO1
TKO7
KO1
KO3
KO2

The new season of Game of Thrones is shaping up nicely -the body count over the next few weeks should be interesting.

Started House of Cards. I left it this long because I loved the British original and couldn't be arsed but have run out of series to watch. Glad I did - Spacey is immense.

Last edited:
The Wire
Ive been watching this over the last 2 months where I possibly can and I'm just finishing season 4 (out of 5)
What a fantastic, brilliant series full of actors that are a credit to their profession.
One of the best programmes I've ever watched.

Still got to watch that. I've just spent a few nights watching 'Humans' on catchup and loved it. Would like to see the original Swedish series it was based on as well.

Best so far : 1 The Walking Dead 2 The Wire 3 Breaking Bad 4.....Nothing compares to the top 3

Going on holiday next week so have bought season one of The Wire to watch. My son hasn't seen it either. 6 month old baby with us so we won't be going out much at night! [also got a box set of The IT Crowd].

Still got to watch that. I've just spent a few nights watching 'Humans' on catchup and loved it. Would like to see the original Swedish series it was based on as well.

I watched the ch4 version and thought it was excellent but just watched season 1 of the Swedish one, and its far better, the base story is pretty much the same, as you would expect, but its massively different in content so can quite easily watch it and not get bored if you have watched the ch4 one.
However, I would also say, if you are planning on watching any of series 2 in UK, I think there are likely to be quite a few spoilers in s1 of the swedish one,

Just discovered Ripper Street. Didn't get into it first time round but realised when I saw some of series 3 that it was more like a spaghetti western than a programme about Victorian London, so I started from the beginning. Hoping that series 3 is still on catchup.

You've so far missed a treat! I think series 3 on a par with series 1 for great stories. Think they could drop the women and it would be even better.

Just discovered Ripper Street. Didn't get into it first time round but realised when I saw some of series 3 that it was more like a spaghetti western than a programme about Victorian London, so I started from the beginning. Hoping that series 3 is still on catchup.

I too have seen only the third series of Ripper Street and have enjoyed the convoluted intrigue. Not entirely comfortable with the faux Victorian dialogue though it's certainly attractive and infinitely preferable to estuary english. A tad too gory at times but it does at least allow us an insight to the interrogation techniques still used in Guantanamo Bay

A recent real joy has been the Beeb's Sunday-night dramas: Lady Chatterley's Lover, An Inspector Calls, The Go-Between, and tonight Cider With Rosie. With the exception perhaps of The Go-Between rather too familiar tales but all beautifully wrought

The past may be a foreign country but the BBC doesn't do things differently now...when it tries

Give arthritic Auntie a big wet lippy

Just don't understand the need to pitch the Sunday night dramas against Downton though? LCL I though disappointing especially as the end was completely wrong - no way would they have driven off into the sunset as equals (in the book his estranged wife reappears and reveals the affair and LC is sent off to her sisters - they don't have a happy ever after!)
The Go-Between was excellent though - superb cinematography and an outstanding actor in the little boy who played Leo.

What's up against what on the goggler really doesn't matter does it, other than to those who still think no one's got those clever gizmos (gizmoes?) recording devices, that new-fangled Catch-Up thingy and iPlayer

Other than the News Channel and Parliament or when dozing-off of an afternoon in the company of some antiques show, I rarely watch anything at the time 'I'm supposed to'

An advert-free world is truly wunnerful

Last edited:
Back