What are you watching

Watched Euro 96: the Summer football came home.... really interesting and what memories, and all of Wembley singing that song. Again so near and yet.... such a shame too that Venables couldn't stay on.

After losing on pens the name of the German who scored to level will never leave me!

For Sama is on Ch4 catchup. Missed it at the cinema so looking forward to seeing it. I think a lot of things have been added to catchup because of lockdown. And also, my go to programme if I can't sleep Bob Ross's Joy of Painting. BBC4 late. May have mentioned it before but I'm slightly addicted and, like most addicts want to get others addicted too.

Has anyone subscribed to Britbox?

Would if I could but at present it isn't available on Virginmedia cable, my sole source for goggling

Rather fancy watching 'The Forsyte Saga' and the beeb's magnificent catalogue of Dickens adaptions; those and 'It ain't half hot Mum' :)

Has anyone subscribed to Britbox?

Would if I could but at present it isn't available on Virginmedia cable, my sole source for goggling

Rather fancy watching 'The Forsyte Saga' and the beeb's magnificent catalogue of Dickens adaptions; those and 'It ain't half hot Mum' :)

Bleak House was wonderful, especially as I didn't know the story at all. And I thoroughly enjoyed 'Dickensian' although it probably isn't everybodies cup of tea. I'd love to rewatch Love for Lydia. And I've got the dvd of Our Friends in the North, but unfortunately it is up north and I'm down south'ish.

You can get pretty much everything on Youtube. Wouldn't be wanting to watch on a phone but I use a desktop, watch either on the monitor or use HDMI cable to connect to TV and job's a good 'un :)

Moe, as long as your tv isn't ancient you should be ok. It needs to have a hdmi input then you can purchase a chromecast - about 30 notes I think for a basic one - and plug that in. Next step is to get Youtube app on your phone and then cast it to tv.

Let me know how you get in if you try it, then I might give it a go myself :lol:

I thoroughly enjoyed 'Dickensian' although it probably isn't everybodies cup of tea.

Yes, it was excellent and innovative. It was ripe for recommissioning given the hundreds of other dickensian characters it could have dredged up for 'reimagining' but the beeb got cold feet and didn't, despite its generally very favourable reviews. Needed the money for a 'Mrs Brown's Boys Christmas Special' I guess. Or am I being a snob :confused:

I guess the new David Copperfield film was a bit like 'Dickensian' but for some reason I didn't enjoy that very much.

Donkeys are lovely :<3: Wish I had the land to have a couple of them, and it would have to be at least two, as it would be unkind to have a solitary one.

Great documentary was on earlier about the Boomtown Rats. Brought back some memories, but also reminded me of how quickly time is passing.

Agree re donkeys not living on their own. But not with horses as they can carry lungworm. One yard I worked, a horse came back in from a break at its owners farm with a hacking cough. Vet diagnosed lungworm and asked it had been grazing with donkeys. It’s lungs never really recovered.

Last edited:
I had to google donkeys recently as it dawned on me that there weren't wild donkeys so I needed to work out where they actually originated from. I've loved them ever since my primary school had a donkey for it's Easter church service. I grew up in a very poor part of Birmingham and the only equine we ever saw was the rag and bone man's pony so to arrive at school one day to find a donkey stabled in the cloakroom was pure magic.

Binge watching Normal People. Have just heard of the death of a friend who lived in Ireland. We always used to stay with her when we went to Punchestown and although we hadn't been back there for many years I've been thinking a lot about the place recently. Lockdown seems to have resulted in me imagining myself to be in places that I love but can't visit and Ireland is top of the list. It also brings back painful memories of teenage angst and, as a dumpy teenager with sticky out ears my teenage years were probably more angst ridden than most. Bitter sweet little series.

I had to google donkeys recently as it dawned on me that there weren't wild donkeys so I needed to work out where they actually originated from.

Presumably you found out; but if not, they're descended from the African Wild Ass, which itself is an endangered species

I do wish folk wouldn't denigrate the noble Ass by using ass when they mean arse: a puritanical americanism I believe

Did you know that the name Wheatear, a familiar bird of British uplands with a white ass, is a corruption from the Middle English name meaning er...white arse :)

The Big Match Revisited on ITV4: today Brighton v C Palace 1976, Alan Mullery v Terry Venables, the main match, proper tackles, no arguing with the ref, no falling over at at slightest contact and going for an Oscar but the second match on today... Leeds v Man Utd..oh joy... Docherty's team at their best, Stevie Coppell, Martin Buchan ( one of the greatest defenders EVER ), Pancho Pearson, Macari, Sammy Mc, Gerry Daly, Stuart Houston, Gordon Hill, Brian Greenhoff ( only got to play for England bless him 'cos along side Buchan who made him look better than he was) , Alex Stepney just hanging on in there at the end of his career, great great memories, my favourite United team, followed by George Best being sent off for 'dissent' playing for Fulham and Alec Stock, then manager of Fulham, telling Brian Moore how it was with no punches pulled.

Back