What are you watching

This morning on ITV4 at 11.50 - The Sting - you've probably all seen it more than once but it's more than just a film about a racing scam to take down a gangster, it's a beautifully crafted masterpiece of a film in every respect, plus it's got my alter ego Robert Redford in it.

I really hated Death of Stalin at the cinema. Must rewatch it. I saw parts of Mary Queen of Scots on tv last night and it looked far better than when I saw it at the cinema.

Grasshopper: mmmmm not keen on films with kids in them, or the main focus of the film is on kids, the one real exception probably being Bugsy Malone, which was on silly early the other day. Now that's a great film. Aside from fact I was offered a part in it as an extra and my Mum wouldn't let me. Probably would not have added anything to it but would have been fun :)

I LOVE The Last Kingdom. Very annoyed when that was taken off terrestrial tele.

Butch and Sundance were on yesterday, Newman and Redford before The Sting. Both said they would have loved to work together again, a shame nothing came along.

Has anyone seen Belfast by Branagh? Expected to do well at the awards ceremonies but I missed it somehow, and I love Branagh.

I tried to watch the MQoS but got very annoyed when they showed them meeting in a wood hut.

I don't follow this thread too closely so son't know if this one has been mentioned so far but I've just watched The Professor and the Madman.

I imagine it won't be to everybody's taste but I thoroughly enjoyed it and will definitely watch it again some time.

Yesterday I also watched Hans Christian Andersen (Danny Kaye) for the first time in about 50 years.

Even if you don't have any kids, grandkids etc, it's still an extremely delightful film.

Has anyone seen The Last Duel?

Good. Keep it that way, because it’s exactly as terrible as you might imagine a film in which Matt Damon, Ben Affleck and Adam Driver try to pass themselves off as French noblemen could be. Not even Jodie Comer can save it.

Utter, utter shite.

Last edited:
I saw a trailer for that today - looks pretty decent ( but no idea about it other than I saw in the trailer, so I’m sure a lot of people will tell me it’s rubbish!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Landscapers is on the list that Mrs Grass has compiled, Col bach. I believe I have managed to defer the start of this until after the Darts is finished.

I managed to binge-watch all ten episodes of Gomorrah S5 over the course of a couple of days/nights earlier this week. Not sure how I feel about the ending, to be honest........but suspect I'm lamenting a little that it's all over.

I can't/ won't say much to avoid spoilers but particularly in the early stages I found the main protagonist in Gomorrah a likeable, if somewhat violent, character. The slums that form the backdrop are really appalling and life there then and perhaps even now must have been dreadful. No wonder drugs flourished, reality would have been hard to bear.

Been shown in the states for a while now, has a current IMDB rating out of ten of 7.4

Thank you - Branagh was born and lived in Belfast until he was 9, reviews saying possibly semi autobiographical so looking forward to seeing it. Think he is by far better in the theatre than his film career in front and behind the camera to date. I'm usually slightly disappointed by his films but he is totally awesome on a stage.

I can't/ won't say much to avoid spoilers but particularly in the early stages I found the main protagonist in Gomorrah a likeable, if somewhat violent, character. The slums that form the backdrop are really appalling and life there then and perhaps even now must have been dreadful. No wonder drugs flourished, reality would have been hard to bear.

The Le Vele complex in Scampia where most of the series is filmed has apparently been empty for some time, Laurence, and is either slated for demolition, or already has been……save for a single block which is being retained for architectural posterity.

I have searched the Internet high-and-low to try and establish the location of Genny Savastano’s building in Series 5, but no joy so far.

I’d also recommend you view the spin-off movie ‘L’Immortale’ which covers both the Ciro di Marzio back-story, and provides the stitching between Series 4 & 5. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Bit late to this thread but echo everyone else who said Succession is a masterpiece. Best thing i've watched in years.

Currently struggling to get into anything else and trying to resist the urge of a full rewatch :lol:

Bit late to this thread but echo everyone else who said Succession is a masterpiece. Best thing i've watched in years.

Currently struggling to get into anything else and trying to resist the urge of a full rewatch :lol:

The other night I watched the first four episodes of Around the World in 80 Days.

It was good enough to have me watching the rest of it but I'm not sure I'd want to sit through it all a second time.

I don't think I read the book when I was a kid. I do recall reading 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea so maybe did read this too, but can't recall it.

It's also a long time since I saw the original film version so I've no idea how close to the book either is.

It's hard to imagine Verne writing a female journalist's being in tow with Fogg or Passepartout's being black.

Then again, I recently (pre-Covid) went to a version of A Streetcar Named Desire in which Stanley was played by a black actor. Tokenism at its most cringeworthy.

But that's another topic for another day.

Watched the programme about Bible John and the murders of young women who had been dancing at The Barrowlands Ballroom and I was taken aback by the living conditions in some parts of Glasgow at the time, 1968.

I grew up in the Rhondda Valley and things weren't great with us; no hot water, outside toilet only electric light on the lower two floors but we didn't have the over crowding or the sewage problem that there was in those parts of Glasgow. In 1968 England had already won the World Cup and things had improved in the mining valleys.

As I say, I was really surprised by how bad things were.

Back