What are you watching

I thought I’d missed the boat with Belfast but I’ve found a cinema that’s showing it in a couple of weeks time. First time I’ve been anywhere like that for over two years.

Emergency: CH4 9 o'clock all this week. Amazing, amazing doctors and amongst other patients featured, Wesley 78 years young, a former Marine who broke his neck falling off a chair, and if he had another fall doctors said his head would literally fall off. Watch Doctor Lee trying to screw a plate in to hold him together, and avoid turning him into a quadriplegic, and the people monitoring the brain activity lose all the brain activity signals when a screw goes in too tight....
And Wesley himself, what a fabulous man. Brought up by his oldest sister Blossom a former nurse, since the age of 4, lending support.
Have to say I don't usually watch things like this but it's tremendous.

Just watched the Kate Garraway insight into issues with peoples ailments and seeing them in 3-D. Absolutely fascinating. There was a lady who suffered from fibroids which 40% of the female population suffer from but it never gets talked about. The 3-D images were staggering. She had 90 (actually 100 when they finally operated on her) and as a result her uterus was enormous. She looked heavily pregnant and often got congratulated on her pregnancy. As someone who also suffered in the same way (mine were removed 12 years ago now.... I had 15, some as large as hers), it was a very emotional watch for me.

This Is Going To Hurt: watched it first time only couple of week ago as nothing else on as not a fan per say of Ben Wishaw, and it's set on a maternity ward mostly and again not a fan of things about babies but... I'm not sure how to describe it really; it's not a comedy per say although there are laughs. It's not a drama per say but it is dramatic. Only one more episode to go and that's a shame as it's just brilliant.

I didn’t get into it at first but then binge watched it. I worked for the N H S for 20 years and it actually, black as it was, made me realise how much I loved my job.

I rewatched "The Brink" an abolute must see and a laugh from start to finish

Originally the Brink 2 was on the cards but with stars like Jack Black Pablo Shreiber and Tim Robbins in demand elswhere it never happened.

I'm into Aliens and UFO's at the moment, watching all sorts of crap on Blaze.
Most of it I have seen before but there may be a little gem of info somewhere.

I certainly don't believe the Egyptians built the pyramids without alien assistance.

You are not alone, Wals.

Do you watch Pawnstars on Blaze like me sometimes?

Last edited:

I certainly don't believe the Egyptians built the pyramids without alien assistance.
Do you remember when Chariots of the Gods was all the rage? I’ve still got a copy of it somewhere.

Yep, everyone knows ET grew up to be a bricklayer:blink:

TV

Finished Season 2 of Succession - excellent
Currently half a dozen episodes away from finishing Vikings. Season 6 a bit of a grind.
Starting Ripper Street on Prime. Been a few years and I didn't catch the last season but Macfadyen's excellent performance in Succession has me wanting to revisit
Also starting Spiral on BBCiplayer this evening. Heard lots of good things.

Succession season 3 and Ozark season 4 are on deck.

TV
Midway through season 4 of Ripper Street. It's been excellent throughout. Such a great cast.
I'm early into season 3 of Spiral. It's not as good as the Bridge and I can't work out if the general incompetence of the police shown is poor show running or just part of the plot. Overall though I'd recommend it to anyone who likes Police dramas.
Spiral and Ripper Street are both pretty dark so I felt I needed some light relief. I saw the US version of The Office was on both Netflix and Prime so decided to give it a go. I never usually bother with American remakes but this one is actually superior to the British version, It's up there with Seinfeld. Excellent.

Film
Don't Look Up - pretty average, tried too hard to be funny. Actually nominated for an Oscar. Meh
A Quiet Place - I liked this. It was original and I didn't get bored once, which is unusual when watching Hollywood films these days
1917 - Good but not great. Not really a war film guy tbh
The Hobbit. Reminded me of the most recent James Bond in that it was at least an hour too long. I didn't mind the LOTR films but this was guff.

So. I don’t have Netflix but this week have been housesitting for some clients who do. And I thought I would try Bridgerton. Oh. My. God! It is appalling!

The script is bad.
The dialogue is bad.
The way characters behave is inaccurate (woefully)
Even much of the material used for the the dresses is wrong.

I checked to see who wrote it. Then I remembered that I had tried to read one of these books. They are on a par with Fifty Shades in literary quality. And the author is American who clearly thinks she can write about a period in English history. I have a message for her....”Love, go watch Downton Abbey....that’s historically accurate. Beautifully written and observed.”

I gather that the GBP have fallen for it rather in the same way they were hooked by Fifty Shades....enough said!

Sir Mark Rylance who starred in Ready Player One.Dunkirk and Bridge of Spies

Takes the lead in the gangster movie "The Outfit"

Not your typical ganster movie but brilliantly done, witha hew unexpected twists and turns.

Torrent is on PB

Just got hold of The Batman........got to halfway and that was a bit of a struggle

Pattison gets away with being The Batman behind the mask but is totally unconvincing as Bruce Wayne.

Not a patch on Ben Affleck who plays a much lighter and more charismatic Bruce Wayne IMO

Maybe it's me and I need a good nights sleep before watching the other half:lol: TBC

Just got hold of The Batman........got to halfway and that was a bit of a struggle

Pattison gets away with being The Batman behind the mask but is totally unconvincing as Bruce Wayne.

Not a patch on Ben Affleck who plays a much lighter and more charismatic Bruce Wayne IMO

Maybe it's me and I need a good nights sleep before watching the other half:lol: TBC

Sir Mark Rylance who starred in Ready Player One.Dunkirk and Bridge of Spies

Takes the lead in the gangster movie "The Outfit"

Not your typical ganster movie but brilliantly done, witha hew unexpected twists and turns.

Torrent is on PB

How can you list Rylance's body of work and leave out Thomas Cromwell????

Back