What are you watching

Muhammed Ali on PBS America: ultimately a very sad tale of a man used but with multiple flaws came to be one of the best known sportsman in the history of sport. One of the very few to cross into the wider world from sport. I have to admit I don't like boxing to watch at all and was too young when he was at his brilliant best but do remember being aware of him and just thought he was quite funny when interviewed away the fight environment but this 4 part documentary was complusive viewing.

One of my all-time sporting heroes. I watched the first part last night. Superb stuff. Ken Burns's stuff is always good.

I didn’t watch Inside Man tonight, but I did watch it yesteday and thought it was very very good. As you’d expect with a cast and writers like it’s got I guess, but it could have gone very wrong !! IPlayer tomorrow I think - last two are next Monday and Tuesday as far as I can see?

Watched the first two episodes back-to-back last night. I won't say too much for now other than it'll need to buck up a fair bit to get pass marks from me.

Watched the first two episodes back-to-back last night. I won't say too much for now other than it'll need to buck up a fair bit to get pass marks from me.

Oh I think it’s great. Totally far fetched but I love Tucci and he is clearly relishing the role. It’s sort of cringe inducing with the vicar and the basement that anyone could get into that situation but I just am enjoying it for what it is...entertainment!

Last edited:
Episode 3, ( inside man) it’s weird and I really like it ( only taken me to now to decide that [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787])
It’s all got a bit boy in the striped pyjamas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Oh it was very good! Really enjoyed it. Quite cringe at times which is intentional and a OMG moment in the last episode but a good watch imo.

I didn’t watch the new SAS series on BBC although I am planning to ( Jack O’Connel is a local lad made good so I watch all of his stuff). But when I was channel hopping last night I started watching a three part documentary series called SAS Warriors about the formation of the SAS. I’m not keen on watching anything about wars but I found the series riveting. Lots of archive footage and interviews with the founder members. Drew me in the way that a Ken Burns documentary does. Watching it again with Mike who’s also riveted.

I didn’t watch the new SAS series on BBC

Watched the first episode the other night.

Off to a bad start [for me] when they use up-to-date [crap] music to set a 1940s scene and I genuinely don't believe swearing and subordination were as frequent occurrences as portrayed, but that's the BBC Drama department these days: appeal to the lowest common denominators.

I might give it another go if nothing else is on but I gave up on The Inside Man after two episodes and I can see this being the same.

I watched the first episode of The Lincoln Lawyer last night and am much more likely to watch more of that. It does have a bit of pull about it but isn't without its flaws too.

Last edited:
I haven't watched it yet myself but having read several books on the subject, I'd be surprised if there wasn't a great deal of swearing and insubordination.

Swearing among the squaddies, yes, plenty, and probably in private among the officers but openly? I'm not sure the army would have allowed it and I would be disappointed in the army itself if subordination wasn't slapped down pronto.

They are/were famous for it - to this day they don't say "sir" when talking to an officer, the preferred nomenclature is "boss".

Edit - No saluting either.

Last edited:
I didn’t watch the new SAS series on BBC although I am planning to ( Jack O’Connel is a local lad made good so I watch all of his stuff). But when I was channel hopping last night I started watching a three part documentary series called SAS Warriors about the formation of the SAS. I’m not keen on watching anything about wars but I found the series riveting. Lots of archive footage and interviews with the founder members. Drew me in the way that a Ken Burns documentary does. Watching it again with Mike who’s also riveted.

I watched this, it was riveting and very well told. Very, very brave men.

They are/were famous for it - to this day they don't say "sir" when talking to an officer, the preferred nomenclature is "boss".

Edit - No saluting either.

Yes, I realise now this is the SAS we're talking about rather than the regular army.

The saluting thing is something I did know about, presumably so as not to identify officers when enemies might be watching.

Back