What are you watching

I've been indulging in various documentaries on PBS America of late - a three partner about the potato famine was eye opening last week. This week is the Irish civil war which I also know little about.

Most enlightening.

Agree re the potato famine programmes. PBS America have some really good stuff, just sometimes have to be in the mood to watch them.

Just back from the National Theatre to see Dear England: absolutely brilliant. I wanted to stay for the evening performance. A play about Gareth Southgates' tenure as England Football Manager. Wouldn't matter if you didn't know anything about the last few years of the Mens' team, just brilliantly witty, poignant, well acted view of ridiculous expectations and the affect and effect of the physchology of not only sport, but being a human in a high profile arena, for Southgate, the back room staff and the players.
Joseph Fiennes as Southgate pulls him off to a tee, the rest of the cast ably support him. Special mentions for the guy playing Jordan Pickford, who is quite simply brilliant, and the actor playing Harry Kane who may feel slightly sleighted by the way he is portrayed but it's brilliant to watch. Sadly only on until 11th August and pretty much sold out, but if it tours, please go and see it. Standing ovation from the entire audience, and of course, obliged to join the cast in rousing version of Sweet Caroline which in other circumstances, that song would grate, but not this afternoon. :)

Agree re the potato famine programmes. PBS America have some really good stuff, just sometimes have to be in the mood to watch them.

If you want to sparkle on the topic at dinner parties on the mainland, just refer to the famine as we do: 'An Gorta Mor.' The Great Hunger.

The Sixth Commandment currently on BBC1 is very good with a brilliant cast and superb acting.
This finished last night and it didn’t disappoint at any level. The acting was top class throughout even the guy who played Martin Smith during the court case...his portrayal of a manipulated victim himself was brilliant. Immensely enjoyable despite the hard and very real subject matter. The victims families were incredibly brave to go through the trial.

Anyone seen Oppenheimer? I'm not a fan of Murphy but Sir Ken is in it and the reviews say RDJ is excellent but just wondering whether to go or not? Thanks.

Anyone seen Oppenheimer? I'm not a fan of Murphy but Sir Ken is in it and the reviews say RDJ is excellent but just wondering whether to go or not? Thanks.
Am hoping to see it next week hopefully. I love Murphy and hear he’s superb and RDJ hasn’t long been one of my favs.

Just back from the National Theatre to see Dear England: absolutely brilliant. I wanted to stay for the evening performance. A play about Gareth Southgates' tenure as England Football Manager. Wouldn't matter if you didn't know anything about the last few years of the Mens' team, just brilliantly witty, poignant, well acted view of ridiculous expectations and the affect and effect of the physchology of not only sport, but being a human in a high profile arena, for Southgate, the back room staff and the players.
Joseph Fiennes as Southgate pulls him off to a tee, the rest of the cast ably support him. Special mentions for the guy playing Jordan Pickford, who is quite simply brilliant, and the actor playing Harry Kane who may feel slightly sleighted by the way he is portrayed but it's brilliant to watch. Sadly only on until 11th August and pretty much sold out, but if it tours, please go and see it. Standing ovation from the entire audience, and of course, obliged to join the cast in rousing version of Sweet Caroline which in other circumstances, that song would grate, but not this afternoon. :)

Saw yesterday that they are filming both performances next Wednesday so hopefully will be available to a wider audience soon.

Don't know if it's been mentioned on the thread earlier but we decided to give Yellowstone a go the other night.

We watched Episode 1 and gave up.

I can see the potential in it and I love Montana but too much of the dialogue is too gruffly delivered for my hearing and for me it was shaping up as a glorified Dallas. It just didn't grab either of us.

The down side of giving it up is not seeing Kelly Reilly. I fell in love with her when she appeared in an episode of Poirot about 20 years ago and had wondered what happened to her until she appeared in a US programme I was catching up on the other week. I can see why people would find her unattractive but she strongly reminds me of an old girlfriend I struggled to get over when she unceremoniously dumped me. Broke ma wee heart, so it did :(

Last edited:
Watched both episodes of Yellowstone last night and although I get what you mean as I found that to start with, we kept going and it definitely gets better. Dallas it definitely isn’t!

I recognised Kelly Reilly too and googled her as I couldn’t remember where from. She was in Prime Suspect and is an excellent actress. You may want to watch episode two as she’s pretty raunchy in it! :lol:

I must have watched episode 2 as well, then. Broke ma wee heart so she did :lol:, durty wee herry.

[Edit - "durty wee herry" is referring to her, no you.]

Last edited:
The Two Popes (Anthony Hopkins and Jonathan Pryce)

I first watched it two or three years back believe it or not on the recommendation of my ultra-atheist brother (who has a history in the film industry).

For those who haven't seen it or heard of it, it's 90% dialogue between Benedict XVI (Hopkins) and Francis (Pryce) but it's among the most powerful dialogue you'll ever come across in a film, inspired by true events.

Dear England moving to Londonium West end for a 14 week run starting in October at the Prince Edward Theatre. Tickets on public sale Friday morning at 10. Joseph Fiennes staying on as Gareth Southgate. If you're near London, can get to London, I URGE you to go. You won't be disappointed.

Dear England moving to Londonium West end for a 14 week run starting in October at the Prince Edward Theatre. Tickets on public sale Friday morning at 10. Joseph Fiennes staying on as Gareth Southgate. If you're near London, can get to London, I URGE you to go. You won't be disappointed.

With that title, I wouldn't watch it even if it was in my living room. :lol:

I watched Yellowstone last night, too. Hadn’t realised that it was on Ch5. Glad I didn’t buy the box set. I, too, couldn’t understand what they were saying and 5 doesn’t have subtitles. It’s usually American programmes I struggle with eg I’ve never been able to watch eg The Wire because of it. I agree about Kelly Reilly. She was in series one of Britannia and the series was never the same without her and folded after a third series that annoyingly ended on a cliffhanger because they expected to have another series. There’s something very watchable about her other than the obvious reasons. She’s a bit like a cross between Jessica Chastaine and a young Lindsay Duncan, both of whom hold the screen in whatever they do. I tried to find an online synopsis of what I’d watched but couldn’t. I might try again. I’d quite like to watch the prequel series though.

I’m surprised that DO hasn’t continued with Yellowstone. I watched the third episode last night on My5 and his luscious lady is prancing around naked! I’m sure that will entice him back even if it’s with the sound off.....:lol:

I watched Yellowstone last night, too. Hadn’t realised that it was on Ch5. Glad I didn’t buy the box set. I, too, couldn’t understand what they were saying and 5 doesn’t have subtitles. It’s usually American programmes I struggle with eg I’ve never been able to watch eg The Wire because of it. I agree about Kelly Reilly. She was in series one of Britannia and the series was never the same without her and folded after a third series that annoyingly ended on a cliffhanger because they expected to have another series. There’s something very watchable about her other than the obvious reasons. She’s a bit like a cross between Jessica Chastaine and a young Lindsay Duncan, both of whom hold the screen in whatever they do. I tried to find an online synopsis of what I’d watched but couldn’t. I might try again. I’d quite like to watch the prequel series though.

Ch5 usually has subtitles? I use them all the time.

Does it have them on catchup? I’ve just done a bit of Googling so I sort of know who everybody is now. It’s a start! But it means I’ve probably got to start from the beginning again!

Back