What are you watching

I've watched most of the Burns documentaries over the years and find them enthralling. It started off with a one off documentary about the Donner party who, after getting stuck in the Sierra Nevada in winter resorted to cannibalism. It worried me how fascinated I was by the programme until I realised how they draw you into the subject matter. I sometimes rewatch their 'American Civil War' and 'The West'. I haven't see the one about the Jazz Age, though, and missed most of the Vietnam War one. They are, imo, the best documentary makers of all time. It's amazing how 'alive' they make a documentary with just old photos and letters.

Huge fan too Moe. The only one I found a tad ordinary was the Baseball series and at the time I was a baseball nut.

Honourable mentions for series I have downloaded and watched recently. Gomorra, The Looming Tower, The Terror, Condor, Counterpart, Killing Eve. Currently stuck into / yet to start Billions ( series 3 ), Power, Quantico, The Leftovers, Salvation.

We look at similar shows Dave. Billions is brilliant.

Of the rest, how would you rank the top 3

On series five e[pisode 8 of breaking bad havn't looked when i posted about first series but thats how much i'be been watching :lol:

We look at similar shows Dave. Billions is brilliant.

I thought the last series was a slight step down although I still loved it.

I must watch the Ken Burns Vietnam War documentary. I really enjoyed The West and his American Civil War documentary is hands down the best documentary I've seen.

Watched Green Book recently and best film I've seen 1n a while. Not seen all of them, but it probably did deserve its 'Best Film' Oscar.
Portrays the interaction between a concert pianist and his minder, with equal amounts of humour and pathos, as they journey around their Southern State tour, learning frpm each other as they go.
Highly recommended.

I hadn't realised it had won. Meant to have a bet on it but didn't. Absolutely loved the film. There's a documentary on Ch 4, Thursday at 9 about 3 identical triplets that were split up at birth. Not sure what it's called but a friend told me it's worth watching.

I made a very rare visit to the cinema yesterday to see Bohemian Rhapsody.

It's a good watch and well made but I just wonder if I'll view it in the same way as I did Walk The Line, in the sense that I thoroughly liked the film at the time and even bought the DVD but I've never watched as I now know the story and don't feel the need to watch it again.

It was a very sympathetic and toned-down story of Freddy M's life away from the group (and of course the music is just brilliant anyway) which I quite liked as it made it accessible to a younger audience. If it makes teenagers more interested in that kind of music (rather than the crud they listen to these days) it can't be a bad thing.

I would recommend it.

Last edited:
So would I. The guy who plays Brian May is also very good. Synpathetic yes but very well done.

Saw All Is True as love Sir Ken. How it got made I don't know. As a one part TB drama maybe, but never a film for cinematic release, and really, really irritating: however great Judi Dench always is, she's FAR too old to play Anne Hathaway. Anne was 8 years older than Will, not 24 and she looks every day of it.

Amazing film on BBC4 last night; Arcadia. Lots of BFI film clips shown to a background of psychedelic music. All I needed was a bit of wacky baccy [although at times I thought I already had]. Totally surreal and quite wonderful...

Line of Duty back on Sunday! Yeaaayyy Steve Arnott and Kate Fleming!!

Traitors was a slow burn but worth it if not seen it.
I’ve only watched the first episode so far and I thought it was a bit of a slow start. I’m guessing it picks up the pace GG?

Back