What are you watching

Jodie Comer was very good on Talking Heads last night. She's the only reason that I kept half an eye on the last series of Killing Eve, which is really quite silly now - and how did Sandra Oh win an award? She has one slightly startled expression on her face at all times, awful actor.

I'm not sure I would be able to watch it. At my age I don't want to watch anything harrowing on TV. Life is harrowing enough.

Jack O'Connell is a patron of our local indie cinema, which, due to covid I won't be able to attend for the foreseeable future even when it reopens. We do retain our membership, though. He introduced this film when it was first shown. Unfortunately it came out round about the same time as another POW film starring Colin Firth and was somewhat overshadowed. Of course, it was adapted from a book by Laura Hillenbrand [of Seabiscuit fame] so it was always going to be good. I did try to read the book but gave up on it; much heavier than Seabiscuit which is, imo, one of the best books ever written. Maybe I should try again. He's a brilliant actor and Jolie is underrated as well [imo]. The late, great John Hurt was our other patron. He came after Alan Bates !

Jodie Comer was very good on Talking Heads last night. She's the only reason that I kept half an eye on the last series of Killing Eve, which is really quite silly now - and how did Sandra Oh win an award? She has one slightly startled expression on her face at all times, awful actor.
She was utterly brilliant. Such a talent at a relatively young age.

I watch Killing Eve more out of habit now. The beauty of the first series was not knowing if Eve was going to be killed. Jodie Comer was also in The White Princess, a series I enjoyed after watching The White Queen. I love that period of history, even more so after staying at Middleham a few times [what I'd give to go back there...].

Philippa Gregory takes a lot of liberties with the truth. Love Middleham, big fan of Richard 111 and BBB trained there of course.

I know; but the books are very readable. The years when I devoured books by Tolstoy and Orwell etc are long since gone....!

I won’t bore you with our full lockdown vowing as we've watched a film or 2 tv episodes as a family every night. They’ve all been pretty mainstream, but these are the three (all tv) highlights:

Peaky Blinders – can’t be many people on the planet who haven’t watched it yet, but we all loved it

Luther – great stories and Idris Elba is very believable

The Goldberg’s – US family comedy based in the 80’s. Great for us as something for everyone!

Just started a German language series called Dark on Netflix. Sort of like a mixture of It/Stranger Things. Very promising.

Just watched The History Boys again on BBC4, something that one never tires of - like the Kate Bush video of Sat In Your Lap. Or the dawn of a new day. Or the form of a young lady erupting into adulthood but not yet realising the power that she has over any man - and therefore not yet using it - all glorious.

I’ve just watched Secretariat for the first time and I’ve now found The Cup on amazon prime. Late night for me but a good one!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just watched The History Boys again on BBC4, something that one never tires of - like the Kate Bush video of Sat In Your Lap. Or the dawn of a new day. Or the form of a young lady erupting into adulthood but not yet realising the power that she has over any man - and therefore not yet using it - all glorious.

Wealth of acting talent in that film. I saw it on stage with a lot of the same cast - think it worked better as a film. Very slight difference in the ending on the stage of what happened to the young male teacher though, and therefore the actual final scene, which I think was better in the stage version.

Also the basis, very loosely, for the comedy series Episodes, which was very, very funny.

I recorded it. Looking forward to watching.

For John Wayne fans (like me) there's a Duke-fest on the Sony Movie channel (Freeview 40) today.

Six JW films in a row:

Flying Leathernecks
Tall in the Saddle
Shepherd of the Hills (brilliant wee film which Betty Field absolutely steals)
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
North to Alaska
The Undefeated

Back