World Cup Group D

Great shout. Followed you in on Ballotelli. Like you said, fish in a barrel !

Decent start for my Top Goalscorer bet on Balotelli too. Italy should go to at least the 1/4 Finals

When Ladbrokes chalk up Ronaldo against Germany I may just wheel a wheelbarrow of cash into their shops. Portugal don't lose and he's MOTM. Simple.

When Ladbrokes chalk up Ronaldo against Germany I may just wheel a wheelbarrow of cash into their shops. Portugal don't lose and he's MOTM. Simple.

Yeah this is definately a soft target markt. Messi could be free money too....

You that loves a good market rick Slim, check out the UFC thread I started in 'other sports' tonight. http://www.talkinghorses.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=574775#post574775

Woodley at 4/1 to win by KO with Hills is too big. This dude just knocks guys out! Worth a tickle with some of your Balotelli Profit.

Bit deflated after that.

Wellbeck, Stirling and Sturridge were very good.

Ronney was terrible.

Overall I expect us to improve but we need to be more clinical.

Played well; better than I've seen for ages. Rooney terrible though as usual but I suppose we have to wait for him to retire because he's undroppable:(
The other 2 teams are no great shakes

Bit deflated after that.

Wellbeck, Stirling and Sturridge were very good.

Ronney was terrible.

Overall I expect us to improve but we need to be more clinical.

I agree and i think they can take a lot from that. Uruguay don't exactly look nimble at the back which could play into England's hands nicely

Wellbeck was very effective at what he does best but he's a striker with virtually no instinct for goal. None whatsover. If he reminds me of anyone it would be heskey and that isn't a compliment.

But for commitment and guts he's hard to fault.

A forward doesn't have to be a striker if he creates space for and does the work of the natural strikers. Owen loved playing with Heskey because he gave him the extra split second to do what he did best. If Welbeck's contribution leads to goals for others then he's worth his place but, at the moment, I'm not convinced that Rooney, Welbeck and Sturridge function as a cohesive unit. Rooney clearly isn't comfortable on the left (although his cross for the goal with his left foot was top class) and the 3 of them seem to want to be in the same space on the pitch. Sturridge played well but missed a couple of good chances and it seems a little unfair that most are concentrating on the Rooney chance as a pivotal moment.
On balance, I think I'd go with Barkley and Lallana to replace Welbeck and Rooney on Thursday but, as a tactical option for the future, I'd consider playing both Baines and Shaw down the left if we can't get the width any other way.
Yesterday was a disappointing result but not necessarily terminal.

Last edited:
A forward doesn't have to be a striker if he creates space for and does the work of the natural strikers. Owen loved playing with Heskey because he gave him the extra split second to do what he did best. If Welbeck's contribution leads to goals for others then he's worth his place but, at the moment, I'm not convinced that Rooney, Welbeck and Sturridge function as a cohesive unit. Rooney clearly isn't comfortable on the left (although his cross for the goal with his left foot was top class) and the 3 of them seem to want to be in the same space on the pitch. Sturridge played well but missed a couple of good chances and it seems a little unfair that most are concentrating on the Rooney chance as a pivotal moment.
On balance, I think I'd go with Barkley and Lallana to replace Welbeck and Rooney on Thursday but, as a tactical option for the future, I'd consider playing both Baines and Shaw down the left if we can't get the width any other way.
Yesterday was a disappointing result but not necessarily terminal.

Yes . Sheringham did that. Beardsley too. And Hughes at Chelsea was immense in that role. But they could still take chances and the trouble is that like heskey, wellbeck gives the impression he would prefer it if a chance didnt come his way.

I was startled at how ineffective Rooney was. There is something wrong there which is not public

If you consider Welbeck as an attacking midfielder, his goalscoring record looks better. Still not great and, I'd agree, he doesn't look a natural goalscorer but his figures are similar to Barkley and only slightly worse than Lallana.

I'll consider him as a goalie and he will look even better still ;)

(although there's possibly some keepers who have a better finishing record)

England did well in parts of the match but tired badly, perhaps because they spent too much time chasing the ball in the first half. With 20 minutes to go they were played out but climatic conditions won't be as harsh for their remaining matches, I presume.

Italy found a lot of room down England's left flank, is that why several of you are being so critical of Rooney? He did produce a beauty of a cross for the goal. Gerrard is another who can hit a nice pass but didn't run enough. But I'd be reluctant to drop either. The substitutes for England didn't have a whole lot of impact, and it's hard to blame players for underperforming in the conditions they faced last night.

Well done with your bet, Slim. I thought the real man of the match was either Candreva or Pirlo.

Not all doom and gloom, didn't think it was that bad last night. England are not very good at the back (our 2 full backs just don't defend), so we will need to outscore teams.
Regarding the granny shagger, he is a number 9 or a number 10, if he is not good enough to earn a place in either of those positions he shouldn't start, simple.

Last edited:
Back in the Game Slim. MOTM betting is back. Well kind of back!
Ladbrokes and Paddy Power have priced up the England v Uraguay game.

Rooney FIFA MOTM 8/1 Ladbrokes

Suarez is the 3/1 Fav. But I just can't believe he is fully fit. I saw you posting on another thread earlier that you backed England so you obviously fancy them tonight. If that's the case then 8/1 Rooney seems like the value bet to me here (He's only 5/1 with PP). The amount of media attention he is already getting this tournament, granted in a negative light, is unbelievable. If he starts central tonight and has a positive impact on an England victory, they'll all love him again and the MOTM votes will follow!

What do we make of tonight?

Are Uruguay as bad as the first game? I can't think Suarez is very fit if he couldn't come off the bench the other day.

I wanted to lump on England but the price is going. For a game that was going to be even stevens (ish) in terms of odds, to have one 11/10 and one nearly 3/1 is tempting me towards Uruguay.

Back in the Game Slim. MOTM betting is back. Well kind of back!
Ladbrokes and Paddy Power have priced up the England v Uraguay game.

Rooney FIFA MOTM 8/1 Ladbrokes

Suarez is the 3/1 Fav. But I just can't believe he is fully fit. I saw you posting on another thread earlier that you backed England so you obviously fancy them tonight. If that's the case then 8/1 Rooney seems like the value bet to me here (He's only 5/1 with PP). The amount of media attention he is already getting this tournament, granted in a negative light, is unbelievable. If he starts central tonight and has a positive impact on an England victory, they'll all love him again and the MOTM votes will follow!

Rooney now cut to 6/1 with Ladbrokes.

Best price 7/1 with Paddy Power

UPDATE: Sterling now 4/1 with all 3 other bookies with a Market but still 7/1 with Paddy Power.
Can't imagine it'll last long if you fancy him......

In fairness, they are all being backed......
Rooney now best price 5/1.
Gerrard cut from 10/1 to 6/1

Last edited:
Back